Author Topic: Charles Small born c1857. Angus - Rescobie or Coupar Angus.  (Read 10641 times)

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Charles McKenzie Rescobie Parish - brick wall.
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 16 March 17 18:07 GMT (UK) »
My second link should have been:

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=157077

(note to self, don't post links when thinking about starting to make dinner)

showing an address in Manitoba at time of signing up. The 1883 birth date is also clearly written.

Thank you for this, this is very helpful.

So, Charles signed up in 1916 so we know he must've emigrated between 1911 (when he appeared on the census in Scotland) and 1916. I have something to go on when searching passenger lists now.

The only thing I can think of regarding the date of birth issue is; perhaps he was 'lied' to regarding who his father was? He could potentially have been told an incorrect date of birth by Helen (Ellen) and Daniel to protect from the shame of an illegitimate birth? This is the only way I see why a discrepancy has occurred. The age is obviously wrong on the remembrance record.

I wonder when Helen/Ellen and Daniel/Donald married in 1883. It could be before Charles first birthday in May? Interesting thoughts.
mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 16 March 17 18:36 GMT (UK) »
As the RCE says that the Sheriff found for Daniel and Helen on 26th April 1883, the birth date of 18 May 1883 (which had yet to happen) was plainly wrong.

As for the date in the Canadian document, I have often notice in the Canadian census that people's ages are understated by a year. I speculate that they were asked, "What day is your birthday?", and then. "How old are you?", and that the enumerator then (mis)calculated the year of birth by subtracting the age from the census year. So anyone whose birthday in census year had not yet occurred is listed as being born a year later than the correct date.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 16 March 17 18:39 GMT (UK) »
As the RCE says that the Sheriff found for Daniel and Helen on 26th April 1883, the birth date of 18 May 1883 (which had yet to happen) was plainly wrong.

As for the date in the Canadian document, I have often notice in the Canadian census that people's ages are understated by a year. I speculate that they were asked, "What day is your birthday?", and then. "How old are you?", and that the enumerator then (mis)calculated the year of birth by subtracting the age from the census year. So anyone whose birthday in census year had not yet occurred is listed as being born a year later than the correct date.

Ah, yes this makes perfect sense now.
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 16 March 17 18:46 GMT (UK) »
There was a Scottish, 1883 born C McKenzie, farmer, single, who headed over to Canada in 1911 on the Empress of Britain.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 16 March 17 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Throwing this in as something worth looking into further. A David Cowie from Forfar was also killed in WW1, whilst serving in the Canadian Infantry. Now, it may just be coincidence, but he had a sister, Agnes McKenzie who lived in Pipestone, Manitoba:

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembrance/memorials/canadian-virtual-war-memorial/detail/2954486
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 16 March 17 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Throwing this in as something worth looking into further. A David Cowie from Forfar was also killed in WW1, whilst serving in the Canadian Infantry. Now, it may just be coincidence, but he had a sister, Agnes McKenzie who lived in Pipestone, Manitoba:

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembrance/memorials/canadian-virtual-war-memorial/detail/2954486

I believe this will be her?

Interestingly she is married to a Robert McKenzie. This could possible by Charles brother if they emigrated together. More research needed by me I think.
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Angus (Forfarshire)
Perthshire
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 16 March 17 19:31 GMT (UK) »
There was a Scottish, 1883 born C McKenzie, farmer, single, who headed over to Canada in 1911 on the Empress of Britain.
What date? Was he there in time for the 1911 census of Canada?

There are two lodgers, Charles MacKenzie, aged 26 and Robert Mackenzie, aged 21, in Winnipeg. They were both born in Scotland and immigrated in 1907. The head of household was John Gammie, 30, born Scotland and his wife was Mary Gammie, 23, born Scotland. They too immigrated in 1907, I think, though it's not easy to be sure.

A Robert Mackenzie married an Agnes Stewart Cowie in Virden, Manitoba on 28 August 1907. Obviously not one of the lodgers in the 1911, of course.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 16 March 17 19:33 GMT (UK) »
I'm not particularly sure how to search Canadian records. Does anyone recommend a good site for this? I've only really used SP and Google before.  ???
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Angus (Forfarshire)
Perthshire
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 16 March 17 19:47 GMT (UK) »
For the 1911 census see a site called Automated Genealogy.

For Manitoba search for 'Manitoba Vital Records'.