Author Topic: Finding a missing ancestor in 1861  (Read 1129 times)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Finding a missing ancestor in 1861
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 March 17 12:53 GMT (UK) »
An aside . . . . .

1851 John Short's mother Sarah "Phisic Gardener of 20 acres" although that could relate to John's father John.

Later, John listed as "Herb Grower"

1851 Judith Hoare living at home with mother Judith "Grocer"

1851 John and Judith living 8 dwellings apart Hollow Road, Beddington.
They married 1852?

So he married "the girl next door"?  [ Magic ]
AND
Sold ( magic ) herbs to her mother? [ Magic ]

HO107 1602 27 p5+p6

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 18 March 17 18:50 GMT (UK) »

Hi,

Here is a link that tells that definitely census pages of Beddington are missing in 1861,

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C3098487

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 18 March 17 18:58 GMT (UK) »
That confirm it - John & Judith are on page 18 in Enumeration District 1. Page 19 of ED 1 is one of those which are missing :-X
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mikebrunger

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 20 March 17 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all for your help. I now have one other missing ancestor but this time from the 1871 census.

Alfred Brunger, baptised in Boughton-under-Blean, Kent in 1836. Parents James & Susan. Married Sophia Brown in 1855. I can find Sophia and children in 1871 census but no sign of Alfred. I notice on the census that there is no HEAD entry prior to Sophia's entry as Wife. Does this suggest Alfred was there but was omitted from the census by mistake? I think he died n 1876 so it is a mystery that he is not found on any 1871 census.

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 15:52 GMT (UK) »

Hi,

Where do you Alfred died in 1876? I just can't find it.

I can see a marriage of his daughter Ellen in 1876 where it says that Alfred Snr is deceased but the marriage of Alice Sophia in 1883 gives Alfred's occupation as F?reman and in 1888 Edward's marriage gives Alfred's occupation as platelayer, neither mention that he is deceased. 

I have previously seen cases where it said that the father was deceased on a marriage cert. when he wasn't and those that don't mention the father is deceased when he is  ::) 

Sophia says that she is a widow in 1881 but there is a possibility that this is wrong and that Alfred had left the family for any number of reasons, or that Sophia had left Alfred.

Regards,
Daisy

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Don't know how common the name Brunger is but there's a report in the Kentish Chronicle of 22 Oct 1859 of AN Alfred Brunger labourer aged 24 [so age about right] being imprisoned for 12 months after being found guilty at the East Kent Assizes of criminally assaulting a Mary Tong at Herne Hill. Perhaps he had other spells 'inside' later?

ADDED: Alfred is a railway labourer in 1861 & obviously platelayer later; maybe he was doing a night shift so wasn't actually in the house during the night of the 1871 census?
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline mikebrunger

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Im making assumptions that he died sometime between 1876 and 1881 but that is based on the marriage record of Ellen to Edward Martin in 1876 and the 1881 census. I just found it odd that the 1871 census would record Sophia Brunger, WIFE but no corresponding HEAD like all other census records I have seen. Alfred Brunger seems to be a common name and Brunger is very common in Kent. Just seems odd that there is no record of him anywhere in the 1871. Even if he was working a night shift would he not be recorded on the census?

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Even if he was working a night shift would he not be recorded on the census?
As far as I know, the census forms were distributed to households & institutions to record who spent the night there; not sure how that could work for outside workers...places of employment such as offices were not included again as far as I know.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON