Author Topic: Riddrie Park Cemetery  (Read 2688 times)

Offline C. Macdonald

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Riddrie Park Cemetery
« on: Wednesday 15 March 17 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have a lair number for my Great Grandfathers Grave in Riddrie Cemetery Lair number is A9026
Daniel Stewart Macdonald age 74 is buried in this lair along with what I think might be his married daughter Elizabeth Crawford age 45 and Alex J Crawford age 9 and Jean Kerr or Keir Crawford age 33. Does any kind person know where this lair might be and could take pictures of the headstone, I have no idea where in the cemetery this lair is so anyone's help would be greatly appreciated.
Very many thanks.
Colin Macdonald

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Riddrie Park Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 March 17 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colin

There is a map of Riddrie Park Cemetery included in this link, with individual areas showing. At least you know where the 'A' section of the cemetery is to be found.

www.glasgowfamilyhistory.org.uk/ExploreRecords/Pages/Burial-Lair-and-Cremation-Registers.aspx

Hopefully someone may be able to help with a photo. When were the burials? Keep in mind that there may not be stone remaining.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline C. Macdonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 March 17 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monika, many thanks for that information, 4 burials in the lair dating from 1912 to 1942, hopefully the headstone is still in place.

C. Macd.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 March 17 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Colin, just for info re Section A of the cemetery http://scottishwargraves.phpbbweb.com/scottishwargraves-ftopic140.html

The Commonwealth Grave Commission has carried out exceptional work identifying all possible servicemen graves. The location of these graves can sometimes help when looking for other graves as they can act as a guide. A few of the graves showing on the link above fall close to Section A 9026.

Just as background really here. You do need someone on foot for this. Just note that some areas seem to now not be accessible. Worth checking whether the grave you are looking for is affected?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline C. Macdonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 March 17 01:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Monica I'll try and check that out.
C Macd.

Offline Ticketty Boo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Why was everyone in my tree skint ???
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 July 20 23:20 BST (UK) »
Your A9026 is more likely to be the certificate number.
I have title deed certificate number A8741 for Section H, Lair 269. It also has a reference no. of N786 (to add further confusion!).
Goldie, Marshall, Findlay, Johnston, McKenzie, Kennedy, Dalziel

Offline C. Macdonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 31 July 20 01:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Ticketty Boo, thanks for that detail, I don't stay anywhere near so have been unable to go there and search so still hoping someone who knows the cemetery and perhaps visits that section could take a picture if it still exists of the headstone of the grave containing the family mentioned at the beginning of this post.    Take care.
C Macdonald.

Offline lcar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 August 20 01:56 BST (UK) »
Hey

Like Ticketty Boo said, I think the number you have for the lair is the lair certificate number. My 2 x great uncle is buried in Riddrie. His lair is 669, compartment G. His certificate number is A1109.

I am planning on visiting the cemetery at some point to see if I can find my 2 x g uncle’s grave. I would be happy to try to find your ancestor’s grave but I would need an actual lair and compartment number, not the certificate number. Is there a note of the lair number and compartment on the certificate?

If not, can you tell me the first and surname plus day, month and year they died for one of the people who are in the grave and I will see if I can find the grave details from that?

Leanne
Carnan, Greig, Porteous, Brown, Taylor, McKay, Mochrie, McLure/ McClure, Ogilvie

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 August 20 07:04 BST (UK) »
There's a section of  Riddrie where graves were lost when the surface collapsed due to an old pit opening up during heavy rain. A dog was carried underground by the flood & tragically its young owner attempted a rescue & was lost also.
 I think that section of the cemetery is fenced off. If not part of A or B, it's in that area between the Jewish burial ground & Cumbernauld Road.
 Getting that kid up was extremely hazardous work involving the mine-safety guys. Took some time but they eventually got him. Heroes all of them!

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/2181194.stm

Skoosh.