Author Topic: Maureen ROBSON  (Read 3413 times)

Offline BW252

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maureen ROBSON
« on: Thursday 16 March 17 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Trying to trace a Maureen Robson.    Father Adam "Auld Ned" 1866-1929.   Mother Mary Winifred Palmer 1885-1929.    Family letters mention her as being born to Adam and Mary.   She would have been born between 1909 and 1923 when the known youngest child was born in Jedburgh.  I have searched SP for her birth and have had no luck.    Letters also have her as living in Corby (1960s).    No trace of a marriage or death.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Maureen ROBSON
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 March 17 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi

No sign of her on the 1911 census:

Stewarton, Ayrshire
11 Dean street
Adam, 40, wool spinner, b Hawick
Mary, 28, b. England (married 4 years with 2 children, both alive)
Janet, 12
Margaret, 11
James, 9
Annie, 2
Adam, 4 mths, b. Stewarton

Are you sure that she was named Maureen?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline BW252

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 March 17 13:55 GMT (UK) »
This is the family however Adam and Mary did not get married until 1914!    Janet, Margaret and James are his children by a previous partner Elspeth Millar.   In 1901 he is in Denniston with EM she died in 1903.

Family letters by wife of James mention Maureen many times.    His and Marys 1st three Annie (1909), Adam (1910) and Catherine (1912) are all illegitimate but bother parents named on BCs.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 March 17 14:01 GMT (UK) »
In what context do the letters mention Maureen? Are there any clues to be gleaned from them about her? Are you sure she is a daughter of Adam and Mary?

Some families have completely unrelated and seemingly illogical "nicknames" for family members. I was wondering if this may be the case with Maureen.  :-\

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 March 17 14:09 GMT (UK) »
I agree, Ruskie. That's why I asked about whether her name was definitely Maureen. I've checked both Robson and Palmer but there's very little to go on.

BW - do the letters have any othe hints/info that might help - e.g. were where they from and to whom did James write them? 

Could Maureen have been older than James?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline BW252

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 March 17 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Gadget and Ruskie - thanks for your interest in this.    I have been all over Bellas letters and it still looks like M is Adams dau to Mary.    Unfortunately there is no one left alive to ask!!!

James wife Bella writes the letters to my Grandfather and talks about Auld Ned who marries a woman 20 years younger (Mary).    Bella mentions the large family and "Maureen" is among them.    I have traced nearly all of them but M is elusive.    I have tried SP all different ways with all different permutations but to no avail.    Indications are that Bella and the rest of the Robsons were in touch and lived in Jed before moving on.    It is also mentioned in some of the letters that M is in Corby.    These letters were all written in the early sixties.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 March 17 17:20 GMT (UK) »
 I see Adam and Mary died within a week of each other and James was the informant. I was hoping to find Mary from her parents' names. I haven't looked yet as I've been doing other things. Have you found where, in England, she was born?  There might be relatives on the Palmer side that could give a lead in.

Did James's wife say anything about Maureen apart from being the daughter and Corby?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 March 17 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Found that a George Palmer married a Rosanna Logan in Sligo on 10th Feb 1883. It fits with Mary's death reg info:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1883/10924/5991528.pdf

So Mary's father was a soldier before becoming a carter  :-\

You may have found  this but trying to get a route in.

Offline BW252

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 March 17 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Gadget

thanks again.   I did not have the details of George and Rosanna wedding.    I think she was born in Mt Harbro in 1887.   This would tie in with the 1891 census Gayfield Street, Barony, Kelvin, Lanarkshire, Scotland where Mary is shown as being 5 yrs old.   She had siblings William 1884, Lizzie 1885, Annie 1888, Stephen 1891.    There is also (1891) a Lizzie Logan visitor born Ireland who I take to be her sister.   1901 they are in McAslin St, Glasgow.   

Bellas letters only mention dau and Corby.