Author Topic: Rannoch Robertsons to Pictou, N.S. 1801  (Read 1023 times)

Offline Throth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rannoch Robertsons to Pictou, N.S. 1801
« on: Thursday 16 March 17 21:08 GMT (UK) »
The 1801 passenger list for the 'Sarah' with emigrants to Pictou has:

Donald Robertson, farmer, and Janet Robertson, spinster, Peggy (6y), Janet (4y), John (2y), who we believe are Donald Robertson in Over Bohespic, Blair Atholl parish Scotland and Janet Campbell in Nether Bohespic who have MIs at Kenzieville Cemetery.

James Robertson, farmer, and Christian Robertson, spinster, Elizabeth (6y) Janet (3y) and Duncan (2y)

Is this the same James Robertson, native of Blair Atholl, buried at Avondale cemetery?

These 2 entries may be related. If not, it's quite a coincidence:

Duncan Robertson lawful son to James Robertson and Cirsty McGilliwie (i.e. Lamont) in Over Bohespic, b 3 May 1799

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Throth (www.borenich.co.uk)

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Rannoch Robertsons to Pictou, N.S. 1801
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 March 17 00:53 GMT (UK) »
According to A Dictionary of Scottish Emigrants to Canada before Confederation by Donald Whyte, Donald Robertson was "From Rannoch, PER. To Pictou, NS, on the Sarah, ex Fort William, Jun 1801. Farmer. Wife Janet with him, and ch: 1. Peggy, aged 6; 2. Janet, aged 4; 3. John, aged 2." (bold added by me)

The information for James is the same as the bolded part of Donald's with James' wife and children listed as you have them.

There is also a John Robertson with the same bolded information who was a "Tenant. Wife Janet with him, and ch: 1. Alexander, 2. Elizabeth, 3. Donald, aged 13; 4. Janet, aged 11; 5. Duncan, aged 5."

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Throth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 March 17 07:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jacquie,

A few of the others on the 'Sarah' passenger list came from Rannoch, but this term covered several parishes.

2 year old John died on the voyage (possibly of small-pox) and was buried at sea. The next son, born in Merigomish, was then named John. This makes us wonder whether it was the name of Donald's father in Over Bohespic.

Throth

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 March 17 04:08 GMT (UK) »
delete - I thought I found something but he was too old.
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford

Offline Throth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 12:07 GMT (UK) »
OK Jacquie, here is a link to what we have put together in the last few days.

http://www.borenich.co.uk/Ross_Document/Campbell_John.html

Please make corrections / additions.  We hope that it makes interesting reading.

Throth

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 10:11 GMT (UK) »
James Robertson, farmer, and Christian Robertson, spinster, Elizabeth (6y) Janet (3y) and Duncan (2y)

There is a family tree at Ancestry which has this couple however they have Christian's maiden surname as Fraser. I'll see if I can find anything to confirm it.

Jacquie

Offline dbrobertson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 November 18 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Greetings...

Apologies for responding eighteen months late to this discussion, but I think this is my family.

My great-great grandparents, John & Margaret Robertson farmed at Merigomish, Pictou County, Nova Scotia. My great grandfather James Robertson was born on the family farm 03 Aug 1840.

Great grandfather James was reportedly one of the younger of several siblings (I believe I have found the family on the 1838 census - John Robertson with spouse and seven children). I don't have names for any of these proposed sibs. James, however named his children 1) John Alexander, 2) Charles Bell, 3) James, 4) Donald Duncan - infant death, 5) Mary Ann, 6) Duncan, 7) Jessie & 8) Murdoch.

My great grandfather has sometimes been conflated with a John James Robertson, likely a cousin or half-brother. John James was a surveyor based out of Arichat on Isle Madame. Like my great grandfather James, John James found his bride in Arichat. and lived most of his adult life in Cape Breton.

Hope some of these details ring bells for folks trying to sort out the various John Robertsons & James Robertsons in early Pictou.

Blessings,
Brian