Author Topic: Ancestry DNA Circles  (Read 3899 times)

Offline MickD67

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancestry DNA Circles
« on: Saturday 18 March 17 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, be gentle I'm a newbie.  ;)
Does anyone know why your linked tree on Ancestry has to be public in order to get the DNA circles?  Is it not possible just to have a linked private tree with an opt in?

TIA

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry DNA Circles
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 March 17 07:56 GMT (UK) »
From reading this

https://support.ancestry.com/s/article/ka215000000TzL6AAK/Exploring-Your-DNA-Circles-1460088593698

I would say the reason is that DNA circles are not just about DNA but the data entered in other peoples trees. It would be a tad unfair to expect Ancestry to tell you about the matches you may have in other peoples trees without them being able to be informed of the matches they have to your tree.

Others may have a better explanation ........
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline rsel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 March 17 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Just be aware making your tree public does not automatically put you into DNA circles, I don't have a single circle from any of my 3 DNA tests, despite my tree being quite detailed and public.

However, like davidft says, you can't expect the benefits of sharing other peoples research without sharing your own data. I know people have privacy concerns, but you can always create a second striped down tree that you link your results to, to gain the benefits of circles and the matches.
Sellens - Sussex
Newham - Surrey
Wellington - Dagenham, Essex
Camp - South Essex
Wren - Essex
Livermore - Essex
Wane - Essex
Fisk - Essex / Suffolk
Bailey/Bayley - Sussex
Newton - Sussex
Funnell - Sussex
Streeter - Sussex
Coates - Sussex
Maisey - Surrey

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Remember, no great adventure started with salad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 March 17 17:34 GMT (UK) »
When I first obtained my DNA matches, I had no circles. After analysing a number of my close matches, I deduced that Evan Jones of Cellan, Carmarthenshire, was the connection, so I placed him in my tree as an "orphan".

The Evan Jones circle appeared and has 13 members.

It probably helped that he was an elder of the Mormon church and lived in Utah😀

Still can't find the connection. Cellan is Jones city🤔
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Vincent: Fressingfield, Suffolk, Stockton & Sunderland.
Murtha/Murtaugh: Dundalk & Sunderland
Ingram: Cairnie by Huntly, Scotland then Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809
Kit uploaded to familytreedna.com B171041
Y-DNA R-M269 & mtDNA U5b1f

Offline Towdlass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 April 17 14:47 BST (UK) »
I find it confusing that when I look at my results I find someone with whom I am supposed to have a close link but their family tree isn't public and so I can't have a loo to see where we might connect. So I send them a message asking them to have a look at my tree and would they be kind enough to allow me to see theirs. I wait and I wait and they don't even bother to reply.

I am not a part of any circles yet even though I would like to be. I'm just so amazed by the fact that so many of the people who have come up in my results seem to live in America. I was not even aware that anyone in my family had emigrated so this must be a whole new line for me to explore if I only knew where to start.

Towdlass
Stevenson, Toulson, Owen, Bolland, Laxton, Brocksopp, Butler, Banks, Beadling.

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 April 17 16:34 BST (UK) »
I wait and I wait and they don't even bother to reply.
Not just Ancestry.

Sadly there are a number of people who have no interest in collaboration.  They've seen our trees and have worked out where the link is.  It doesn't cross their minds that we might want to know the same thing.

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Remember, no great adventure started with salad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 April 17 09:05 BST (UK) »
Don't give up Towdlass,

At first, we are all disappointed to learn that so few people respond to messages but it's better to accept that this is so and enjoy those moments when a positive response is forthcoming, especially when it leads to a breakthrough or a new branch in the tree.

I am not a part of any circles yet even though I would like to be

For a circle to form two things need to happen:
  • You need to have a match with someone.
  • Both you and this "someone" have to have the same individual in you trees.
If you suspect that they have someone in their tree who is also likely to be your ancestor too, then add this ancestor to your tree as an "orphan" (i.e. without any connections to other people in your tree).

I'm just so amazed by the fact that so many of the people who have come up in my results seem to live in America

That's simply a matter of the number of people who have taken the test in The United States and Ancestry's origins in the Mormon faith. As more people in the UK and Ireland submit DNA, the proportion of US to non-US matches will reduce.
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Vincent: Fressingfield, Suffolk, Stockton & Sunderland.
Murtha/Murtaugh: Dundalk & Sunderland
Ingram: Cairnie by Huntly, Scotland then Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809
Kit uploaded to familytreedna.com B171041
Y-DNA R-M269 & mtDNA U5b1f

Offline rsel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 April 17 09:21 BST (UK) »

For a circle to form two things need to happen:
  • You need to have a match with someone.
  • Both you and this "someone" have to have the same individual in you trees.
If you suspect that they have someone in their tree who is also likely to be your ancestor too, then add this ancestor to your tree as an "orphan" (i.e. without any connections to other people in your tree).
Even if you have a match in your tree, and a match to a descendent of that individual you may still not get a Circle.....I have a match to a 2nd cousin, and her mother, with both me and my father, and they show up as hints with the correct couple showing as our common ancestor, my fathers test has a match with another known ancestor back another 3 generations, again showing up as a hint. But no circle exists for that common ancestor across 5 DNA test results.  Ancestry's response about why not, is that its still beta (and that was only a few weeks ago, when it stopped saying beta on the web pages !!!!)
Sellens - Sussex
Newham - Surrey
Wellington - Dagenham, Essex
Camp - South Essex
Wren - Essex
Livermore - Essex
Wane - Essex
Fisk - Essex / Suffolk
Bailey/Bayley - Sussex
Newton - Sussex
Funnell - Sussex
Streeter - Sussex
Coates - Sussex
Maisey - Surrey

Offline Adrian Stevenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 April 17 11:06 BST (UK) »
Hi rsel, I am in the same situation as you. I have a known 3rd cousin and one 3rd cousin once removed, but no DNA circle.

Cheers, Ade.
Stevensons of Ruddington. Haplogroup  I FCG24357. MT Haplogroup T2c1. GedMatch number T419829