Author Topic: A lesson learned  (Read 1010 times)

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A lesson learned
« on: Monday 20 March 17 07:55 GMT (UK) »
I decided to use this weekend to go back over some of my ancestors and update their information using the recently released GRO index for mothers maiden name and the 1939 register. I could not find my 2X great grandfather with the parents I had him attached to on my tree.
To cut a long story short I had the wrong parents both parents were John and Mary Ann. The release of the GRO index revealed the correct mothers maiden name to be Willis. Even his siblings name were very similar as they were John, Alfred and Jane etc. No unusual one to help me check the family was correct.
I have now discovered my true line which is amazing but I feel sorry that I have got to deleate the individuals I have grown attached to in my tree.
The moral of the story is go back and check your early research as new records are released and never assume it's the right family without proof.
Regards panda
Chapman. Kent/Liverpool 1900+
Linnett.Kent/liverpool 1900+
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
Re: A lesson learned
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 March 17 08:46 GMT (UK) »
It proves that you should always, as a minimum, send for the certificates of your direct ancestors, no matter what the expense. Dud certs can be advertised on Rootschat (there's a board for them somewhere).

I've been meticulously through the more remote parts of my tree checking for errors. Just three. One was genuine - two Elizabeths and my relative married the more faraway one, easily done. One where the bride had been married before (funny, she didn't mention this on the record) both these a matter of correcting a surname. And one where a boy seemed to have a different mother's maiden name to his siblings - puzzling, as I have his baptism - turned that that birth was to another marriage of those surnames and mine seems to have been left off the register.

The only bad mistakes on my tree, years ago, were where I'd trusted information provided by other researchers, seemingly more experienced than me and competent. Not so. New-found cousins can be a great source of info but always ask if they have the certs!
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 March 17 08:57 GMT (UK) »
The family you found earlier may well be cousins, as there is a tendency to use the same names in various branches of the same family.

Don't just throw them away!
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 March 17 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your comments. At the moment I can't tie in the original false trail to the genuine one but I'm still going to keep the information. The wrong trial came to a dead end as the parish register was destroyed with water damage and I could get no further back than 1813. I'm please to say I'm back to the 1790's with the new line so I have lots more to work on. I'm sending off for the certificates etc and lots are already available online where parish records are available to view. Sadly no one with any exciting background.
Regards panda
Chapman. Kent/Liverpool 1900+
Linnett.Kent/liverpool 1900+
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 March 17 09:27 GMT (UK) »
I have a lovely family tree for the woman who ISN't my great-grandfather's sister Sarah!

The surname is extremely uncommon in the area and the 'wrong' Sarah is listed on headstone next to ours- died in childbirth at a young age. Her maiden name is on the stone and a son was also given it as middle name. Her husband's family intermarried with ours. Turns out she was from a different county!

Only recently I did find the death for OUR Sarah. Family story is that she 'came home' to look after elderly mother and her name does appear in graveyard records. She did die at home unmarried so the family story was likely correct.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 March 17 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Dud certs can be advertised on Rootschat (there's a board for them somewhere).

Best thing to do is to add all the information  - names, dates, ages, addresses etc etc  -  on to a postem on freebmd.    Then if anyone else is searching, hey presto!
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 March 17 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Dud certs can be advertised on Rootschat (there's a board for them somewhere).

Best thing to do is to add all the information  - names, dates, ages, addresses etc etc  -  on to a postem on freebmd.    Then if anyone else is searching, hey presto!

Good point. Here's the Rootschat page:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/unwanted-certificates/
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)