Author Topic: Lead me not into Temptation.....  (Read 2479 times)

Offline Earlsdau

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lead me not into Temptation.....
« on: Monday 20 March 17 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Hopefully someone can help me!  ;D

Each time I try to research my Herefordshire genealogical connections I start to feel a level of frustration (true confessions - bordering on rage actually 😡😉) rising up inside me due to seemingly obstructionist attitudes to making their records freely available to people who cannot physically attend their various archive/family history centres. (I don't have this problem with eg. Cornwall).

Furthermore, I also have subs to ancestry and findmypast which are pretty useless where Herefordshire is concerned. Familysearch hasn't photographed original parish records either for the areas I need.

What am I doing wrong? I need forgiveness, placating and suggestions!

Earlsdau

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lead me not into Temptation.....
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 March 17 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Why don't you take a deep breath and give us the names and dates you are looking for and let us see if we can come up with something to help you. ;D

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 March 17 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps the rootschatters who live in the county find your attitude a little bit offensive and are staying clear.

The population of the entire county is less than that of one medium sided town, we cannot afford any more than the one record office we have, whose staff I have always found to be very helpful.

Maybe you should vent your ire on find my past, not us

Mike

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 March 17 17:38 GMT (UK) »
You're obviously very wound up about something, but not letting us into the secret!  ???  My apologies here, and I could be very wrong!!

Looking at your previous posts, you have not asked for information related to Herefordshire since 2013  :-\  Am I missing something  :o

Ellenmai has the solution - ask us  ;)
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Earlsdau

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 12:53 GMT (UK) »
I need a rational solution to this problem!

What resources for remote access to information do you all find to be the best for Herefordshire?

When I was in Herefordshire things were either slowed down or closed at the Archive centre because of the move to new improved facilities. Consequently due to this, although I wanted to, I didn't get to visit them at all which was a pity.

Ok, here is one scenario with which I am currently having a problem. A direct line ancestor Margaret WIGLEY bapt 1809 in Hampton Bishop is said to be the daughter of a Thomas WIGLEY and a Mary. Likewise there is a sister Emma (also with mother listed as a Mary) bapt 1814, in Hampton Bishop, Herefordshire.

I could find no marriage for a Thomas WIGLEY within a 40 year period (FindMyPast)......leave alone with a Mary added. A Thomas WIGLEY, was bapt Sept 1783 in Hampton Bishop. Was this Margaret's father?

To set my Herefordshire searching in motion again, someone contacted me recently because of a DNA match with me. The only name I could see in her long list of names which was parallel to my research was a Thomas WIGLEY. This person suggested to me that Thomas had a third daughter (I had found two) and that Thomas married a Catherine CARELESS.

The only reference I have found to a 'Careless' and another daughter was a summarised 'record' from myHeritage.com.....which seemed to me to be more of a constructed record rather than a record from original documentation. At least this 'source' did say that the wife of Thomas WIGLEY was a Mary CARELESS rather than a Catherine, so that was something positive. However overall I do not find this to be a quantifiable enough source......not that I wouldn't believe it's eventual veracity......however I like to cite original records where I can.

So what recourse do I have for Herefordshire?

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 20:19 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jrq/

This link mentions David wigley of Hampton bishop as a basket maker, and possibly a member of the Romany community.

If the Wigleys of Hampton bishop were extended family of a community of travellers then they would spend most of their year travelling the surrounding counties selling their wares.  They may have tended to marry within this community, but not always in Herefordshire.

Rootschat has a board for travelling people.

Mike

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 20:33 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jrr/

This link to a pamphlet printed in 1848 but referring to events gone bye, has mention of Thomas wigley and the wigley basket makers extending 20 miles along the banks of the river wye.
Mike

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Going back to the original post, I feel the same about Essex
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Going back to the original post, I feel the same about Essex

?
Essex Parish Registers are online at the SEAX site! Yes, it is a subscription site. But you can just have a short sub if you want. If you live a long way away, then probably cheaper than going to the Record Office.
But it means all the PRs are accessible to anyone anywhere in the World to look through, exactly as you would if you visited the Record Office in person.
Wish there was the same for all counties.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk