Author Topic: MacGregor/MacKenzie puzzle - Gairloch /Lewis c1780  (Read 5624 times)

Offline Im a MacGregor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MacGregor/MacKenzie puzzle - Gairloch /Lewis c1780
« Reply #9 on: Friday 21 April 17 05:31 BST (UK) »
 ::) why, so you can  :-*.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 21 April 17 05:39 BST (UK) »
That's better, you look Scottish now & your ggm will not be at unrest now ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline grimnar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 00:47 BST (UK) »
Apologies for the necro-post. I am descended from Helen MacGregor nee Gillanders brother, George Gillanders. Would love to share info. Feel free to PM me.

Regards.

Offline Chrismac11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 January 21 02:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi all . Some very interesting information, my ancestors were Alexander McGrigor who was married (never seen a record ) to Christian Morison I have seen a birth registration of their son Roderick born in 1806 in kinlochewe (brouchag) he was my ggggg grandfathers brother . His name was Murdoch /Murdo McGregor . I have never found out who Alexander’s father was or where he came from ? Is it not strange that they lived so far out in wester Ross ? Any information would be greatly appreciated . Thank you Chris MacGregor

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 04 January 21 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Is it not strange that they lived so far out in wester Ross ?
What is strange about living in Wester Ross?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MJHS1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 04 January 21 10:49 GMT (UK) »
MacGregors reputedly settled in the Kinlochewe area having being given shelter, after the first Jacobite rising of 1716, by Alexander McKenzie of Coul. The Kinlochewe Estate was purchased by Alexander MacKenzie 2nd Baronet of Gairloch  in 1743. See https://www.kinlochewe.com/documents/Forpublication-SettlementsofWesterRoss-Copy.pdf Tenant records survive from 1766, which show a Murdoch/Murdo MacGregor living at Anakeaun ( Anancaun / Achnacairn) in 1767. There were also a number of Roderick MacGregors living in the area, who appear to have progressively moved towards the West Coast. I believe that Brouchag was also spelt Bruachaig. I have put together a Google MyMap https://www.google.co.uk/maps/d/edit?mid=1zHgiyJIWQ6MeO20bUecPJYvz7II&ll=57.607143509764455%2C-5.324415039065242&z=13 which shows these locations. I have also started on a website outlining some of our findings, which might be of interest, although I am afraid that it is rather disjointed in its current state https://sites.google.com/view/highland-roots/ .   Hope this helps.  FYI, our current thinking regarding the MacGregor/MacKenzie puzzle is that 'our' Rorie Buidhe MacGregor might have been Donald MacGregor of Lerigan. James Mohr MacGregor had a son named  Donald of whom nothing is known. We think that Donald / Rorie may have moved to Gairloch and married  a MacKenzie widow, named Margaret, c1780 after his first wife died.

Offline Chrismac11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 04 January 21 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Is it not strange that they lived so far out in wester Ross ?
What is strange about living in Wester Ross?
My dad was bought up in Perthshire which traditionally was MacGregor heartland along with argyle. I just presumed that was where we had lived forever . Well it turns out his grandfather was born in Inverness/Nairn and then tracing the line back i eventually got to gairloch/strath and then bouchaig (sic) as MJHS1 mentioned we were probably a part of the clearances . Thank you for that great information by the way MJHS1 much appreciated! Did you look at the file I shared ? Below my grandfather I believe could be his brother Donald . My biggest problem with all of this ancestry digging is the names keep repeating so it’s very hard not to be knocked off track . I’m finding it almost impossible to go beyond Alexander with any certainty . I’m hoping to get to Scotland next year and follow in their footsteps . Thanks for the map as I didn’t have a clue where bouchaig is as it doesn’t show on current maps .
Chris 

Offline MJHS1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 04 January 21 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris, Glad to be of some help. I tried to open your .png file in Photoshop without success. Could you upload it again please and possibly try a different format. Regards Mike