Author Topic: Gravestones etc  (Read 17255 times)

Offline Keziahemm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Gravestones etc
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 02 August 05 17:32 BST (UK) »
I think the proper name should be URN   ;D

Susan  :D
Herefordshire: Mytton.
Lincs: Ingham
Northants: Knight (Welford); Linnell;  Gaudern.
Staffs (Brierley Hill, Kingswinford): Wood; Eades.
Somerset: Bailey; Lewis
Warwickshire: (Alcester, Henley in Arden) Lewis; Casey/Keasey
Warwickshire (Birmingham suburbs) Knight
Yorkshire (Bradford):  Ingham

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline NigelG

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 02 August 05 17:35 BST (UK) »
I found my GG Grandparents grave in our local cemetary. All that remained was a small nub of a stone with just the surname hand carved into the stone (very worn and very faint) & the remains of a few curb stones.

I enquired about erecting a stone and was told that was not allowed. I asked about placing new curb stones around the grave to define the plot - again - not allowed. I then asked about placing a marble vase with an inscription and again was told - not allowed.

Sadly it seems that some local authorities prefer to allow graves to fall into disrepair to the extent that they vanish off the face of the earth rather than allow those relatives who wish, to commemorate their ancestors - very sad  :(

(One consellation - I found a grave that contained my Gx4 Grandfather, Gx3 Grandparents and G Grandparents with the stone still intact. I was allowed to clean that up as best I could and get assurances that the stone would not be "touched" without contacting me first.)

Davies, Edwards, Evans, Griffiths, Hughes, James, Jones, Morgan, Nicholas, Powell, Prytherch, Rees, Williams in Glamorgan, Brecon, PEM, CMN & MGY

Biddle, Budd, Clark/e, Davis/Davies, Elliott, Emery, Harper, Harris, Lloyd, Parsons, Phillips, Pitt, Reed/Reid/Read/Rhead, Rogers, Scandrett, Smith, Tyler & Waldron in Staffs, Worcs, Hef, Cheshire, Shrops., Middlesex & Surrey.

Cooghan/Coogan/Cogan - Castleblaney, Co Monaghan

Census Information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GRACELAND

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Elvis Presley* ARTIST OF THE CENTURY..*
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 02 August 05 17:39 BST (UK) »
URN ,,,,, Yes was racking my brain for that word Ta !!  ;D
God Knew Elvis was Tired so he called him to rest !................
"I like it well done, Cooked. I ain't orderin' a pet."
--Elvis Presley, On Meat
"Don't be like nobody else or you'll be livin' a lie, and that ain't livin'."
--Elvis Presley, On Individuality

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 03 August 05 06:16 BST (UK) »
NigelG,

Talk about bureaucracy gone mad!!  That is crazy stuff.  I presume that the cemetery as a whole looks rather unkempt because the authorities will not allow anyone to do anything.  My sympathies!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 03 August 05 07:15 BST (UK) »
I found my GG Grandparents grave in our local cemetary. All that remained was a small nub of a stone with just the surname hand carved into the stone (very worn and very faint) & the remains of a few curb stones.

It sounds very much as if the Headstone has gone and only the Footstone and kerbstones remain.

If the cemetry is a Council run cemetry ask that the subject be brought up in the council chamber and the matter resolved there.
It may also be fruitful to raise the matter in a local paper.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.