Author Topic: Kavanagh  (Read 8248 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Kavanagh
« Reply #18 on: Friday 24 March 17 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Today I worked on Thomas - son of John and Margaret.

I was unable to find a marriage for him. Either it is hiding from me in the NSWBDM data base, it wasn't registered or he married prior to his arrival. Anything is possible.

I wasn't 100% sure it was the right family for Thomas, but a few moments ago I made the link between an address in the death notice of a child with father Thomas and with the address in one of the death notices for his greater family members.

He died in 1880 and his family moved to Cootamundra, NSW.

I have included death notices from the Ryerson index. https://www.ryersonindex.org/

This index lets you see what is available, but not to see the actual notices. There are people on this site who are able to locate and post them on here. I am not able to do so.

Where no burial sites are shown, it is because I was unable to find them. I have provided information on Petersham Catholic Cemetery which will explain why there are no sites available for the folk buried there.

If you have time to spare, you will find references to Thomas on TROVE, pre 1880.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Kaiser95

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 24 March 17 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Jamjar
You are an absolute star,
We are still studying all the info you gave us yesterday,so once again thank you so much for all your time and effort,it really is appreciated
Kindest regards
Jimmy(kaiser)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 24 March 17 10:25 GMT (UK) »
My pleasure, Jimmy.

Here is a marriage blurb for the June Bigham, née Kavanagh, 3rd column: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article78091435

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Kaiser95

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 24 March 17 10:42 GMT (UK) »
The wife was particularly interested with that article,hahaha
Thank you

Offline Kaiser95

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 24 March 17 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi jamjar
I've searched for a marriage for Thomas over here then realised,if he emigrated in 1851 he would've only been 15yrs old as he was born in Dublin in 1836.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 25 March 17 08:26 GMT (UK) »
You are right, of course. I think I may have interpreted the message incorrectly:

18 December 1858
THOMAS or MARGARET BURNS, from Seacombe, Cheshire, or any person to whom they may be
known, who sailed from Birkenhead in the ship Fortune, for Sydney, seven years ago, be kind enough to address to your brother, LAWRENCE KAVANAGH, Sydney Post Office.

Would it be that Margaret Burns is his sister and Thomas his b-in-law?

Did I see the Kavanagh's and Burns' living at the same residence on the UK 1841 census?

Attached is a PDF of Sarah - daughter of John and Margaret.

I don't know if I mentioned but NSWBDM online registers are restricted to births up to the current day and month to 1917, deaths to 1987 and marriages into the 60s I think.

As a result of the cut off dates you will see, in what I have found, that there can be a death without a birth. It gets very difficult to find folk and that is where death notices, cemetery indexes and headstone inscriptions, often come in handy.

Jamjar

Offline Kaiser95

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 25 March 17 08:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi jamjar
Yes there was a burns family at the same address in demean street on the 1841 census,but there was no Thomas burns listed,but that's not to say he could be a relative living elsewhere,but once again you've come up trumps with so much info
Thanks again
Jimmy

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 25 March 17 09:02 GMT (UK) »
I have just realised that in one of the notices for Lawrence Thomas Burnes is a brother-in-law.

So, is his wife Margaret Kavanagh? Will seek her out, tomorrow

Jamjar

Offline Kaiser95

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 25 March 17 10:40 GMT (UK) »
It has to be Margaret's husband,

Jimmy