Author Topic: Ann (?) Ashton, born around 1750, Married Daniel Henshaw in 1772  (Read 1448 times)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ann (?) Ashton, born around 1750, Married Daniel Henshaw in 1772
« on: Monday 27 March 17 10:01 BST (UK) »
Hello There,

The above person was one of my 6x Great Grandmothers. According to "Family Search" she married Daniel Henshaw, at Mobberley, on the 13th of December 1772.
Family Search also has an entry for both these people's names regarding a marriage(?) for July of that year also, in the same place. Does anyone have any idea what this July entry means please?
I am also trying to find a Baptism for Ann Ashton please, but not been able to.
I have found out that Daniel Henshaw was baptised on the 12th of August 1750, in Alderley. He was buried on the 8th of May 1826, in Wilmslow.
But I cannot seem to find a burial record for his Wife Ann.

Lastly, I have put a question mark next to Daniel's Wife's Christian name: There is an article by Kay Brown regarding the: "Henshaw/Brown Family". In this article it states that Daniel Henshaw married a Mary Ashton at Mobberley, in 1772. But the only references I can find on: "Family Search" are ones of Daniel's Spouse being Ann, both regarding the marriage, and the births of their children.

If anyone can please help me, or know anything about the above, I would be very grateful.

Thank you very much.  :) ;) ;)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Ann (?) Ashton, born around 1750, Married Daniel Henshaw in 1772
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 March 17 11:30 BST (UK) »
Regarding Ann's maiden name, on familysearch in Cheshire marriage bonds and allegations there is Daniel HENSHAW of Over Adderley intended marriage to Ann ASHTON of Mobberley, both single and over 21, 13 Dec 1772.

I wonder if there was some mistake with the Bishop's Transcripts which give their marriage as 15 July 1772, as you say?

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 March 17 11:46 BST (UK) »
If Daniel was buried at Wilmslow in 1826, do you think the burial for Ann HENSHAW at Wilmslow on 3 May 1829 aged 78 (therefore birth c1751) is the right Ann? (on familysearch - Cheshire Bishop's Transcripts)

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 March 17 13:27 BST (UK) »
Hi
The marriage allegation also says Daniel was a blacksmith.
The burial for Daniel adds an address of Hough
He leaves a Will naming his two sons James and Thomas as executors.They are to support his dear wife Anne paying her half yearly.
The majority of his property is divided between his children Henry ,John,Daniel,Thomas,-----the page is creased,James,Sarah Wilson wife of James,Peter ,Mary wife of Robert Green and their heirs.
James also gets £500 from a promissory note owed to his father.Unlike the marriage Daniel signs the Will in a very shaky hand.

The Ann burial of 1829 also says from Hough age 78 and the grave is the same according to North Memorial Inscriptions index.(It doesn't give any more details).

It looks like Ann's brother John Ashton farmer also marries at Mobberley 7.11.1774 to Ann Walton.sister Ellen 10.12.1767 to John Potts.Sister Mary 27.1.1778 to John Maurice.
Of course they may not be siblings but they are all the same time with no baptism in the parish.
There is a James s of John and Mary Ashton 29.5.1749 at Mobberley  but he dies as a baby.

(Parents marriage for Daniel may be Henry  Henshall blacksmith of Wilmslow and Mary Sutton 10.11.1735 marriage licence.Bondsman Daniel Sutton of Wilmslow wheelwright and Thomas Hadson of Cheadle inn holder.)

Ciderdrinker

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 March 17 14:57 BST (UK) »
Hi
The marriage allegation also says Daniel was a blacksmith.
The burial for Daniel adds an address of Hough
He leaves a Will naming his two sons James and Thomas as executors.They are to support his dear wife Anne paying her half yearly.
The majority of his property is divided between his children Henry ,John,Daniel,Thomas,-----the page is creased,James,Sarah Wilson wife of James,Peter ,Mary wife of Robert Green and their heirs.
James also gets £500 from a promissory note owed to his father.Unlike the marriage Daniel signs the Will in a very shaky hand.

The Ann burial of 1829 also says from Hough age 78 and the grave is the same according to North Memorial Inscriptions index.(It doesn't give any more details).

It looks like Ann's brother John Ashton farmer also marries at Mobberley 7.11.1774 to Ann Walton.sister Ellen 10.12.1767 to John Potts.Sister Mary 27.1.1778 to John Maurice.
Of course they may not be siblings but they are all the same time with no baptism in the parish.
There is a James s of John and Mary Ashton 29.5.1749 at Mobberley  but he dies as a baby.

(Parents marriage for Daniel may be Henry  Henshall blacksmith of Wilmslow and Mary Sutton 10.11.1735 marriage licence.Bondsman Daniel Sutton of Wilmslow wheelwright and Thomas Hadson of Cheadle inn holder.)

Ciderdrinker
Well Thank you very much for this information. I knew that Daniel's Occupation would have been a Blacksmith. You are correct that Daniel's parents were Henry, and Mary (nee Sutton). It appears that they were married by licence:A few days later, on the 28th of November 1735, there was a Sarah, and a Catherine Henshall baptised in the same church that they were married in.
I have found out that the "Bondsman" that you mentioned for Henry's Wedding, Daniel Sutton, may well have been Mary Sutton's Father: Mary Sutton was baptised in 1713 in Wilmslow, and her Father's name was Daniel.
Thanks for the information in Daniel's Will also. Where did you get the Will from please? Daniel's son Henry (1773-1849) was one of my 5x Great Grandad's.
So it appears that John and Mary Ashton may have been Ann Ashton's parents.
Thank you for the information regarding Ann's burial also.

Cheers.  :) ;)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 March 17 14:59 BST (UK) »
Regarding Ann's maiden name, on familysearch in Cheshire marriage bonds and allegations there is Daniel HENSHAW of Over Adderley intended marriage to Ann ASHTON of Mobberley, both single and over 21, 13 Dec 1772.

I wonder if there was some mistake with the Bishop's Transcripts which give their marriage as 15 July 1772, as you say?
Yes it may possibly be a mistake in the transcription regarding the 15th of July entry.

Thank you.  :)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 March 17 15:04 BST (UK) »
If Daniel was buried at Wilmslow in 1826, do you think the burial for Ann HENSHAW at Wilmslow on 3 May 1829 aged 78 (therefore birth c1751) is the right Ann? (on familysearch - Cheshire Bishop's Transcripts)
Yes that would seem to be the right one: Daniel's address at the time of burial was apparently Hough, in 1826. And the same address for Ann buried aged 78 in 1829.
Thank you for this. :) ;)

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 March 17 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hello
Yes I got the Will.
It's only 1 sheet.If you want to pm me with your e-mail I'll send you a copy.
There's a Will for Henry in 1783 as well but I'm having a bit of trouble getting that to download.It's fine on the last page but not the others.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Colin Henshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 January 20 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Greetings from the U.K. Very interested to learn that my ancestor Daniel Henshaw's father, Henry Henshaw was married to Mary Sutton. I did not have her family name.

Henry's father John Henshaw, born c1670 married twice. His second wife was Mary Heald and my ancestor, in 1708, so the two marriages could have caused some confusion.

John's father was also called Henry, and married Margaret. His father, William was born around 1605, and married Ann Wilson. He may be descended from a Henshaw family living at Tydnock Farm outside Marton, north of Congleton, Cheshire