Author Topic: Wokingham baptisms  (Read 3872 times)

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Wokingham baptisms
« on: Tuesday 28 March 17 15:38 BST (UK) »
This is only my second attempt at doing this so I hope I'm in the correct area.  I've had a tremendous help here from Chris who was able to help me put together the Newbury part of my family tree.  So now I'm hoping I might some help with the Wokingham part.

My 3 x great grandfather was Frederick Mayo Wade born in 1832 according to his military records and some census records he was born in Wokingham near Reading (earlier records called it Oakingham?)

His parents were Joseph and Martha Wade, Martha was born in Newbury to John and Mary Grubb, Mary Grubbs parents were John and Mary Paradise née Mayo.

Unfortunately Joseph Wade remains a mystery and all I know about him is that he wasn't born in Newbury and that he was a widower when he married Martha.  He is buried in the Arbor Hill Military Cemetery in Dublin.  He was with the 60th Royal Rifles 2nd battalion and so therefor they lived in different places.  As he died in service I've been told his records were most likely destroyed.

What I'm hoping to find is his son Frederick Mayo Wades baptisim in Wokingham and possibly his younger sister Isabella Caroline Wade born 1839.  I can only guess she may have been born in the same area as the 1841 cencus just says she's not from Newbury.  She also died in Dublin as she married a soldier, had a child in Canada and another in Ireland where she is buried also.

I do have Frederick's military records (also from the 60th Royal Riffles 2nd battalion) as he enlisted at just 14 before spending many years overseas in South Africa, India and China before returning to the UK where he was at Kingston Barracks.  Before retiring to Kingston on Thames until he was widowed and then moved to where his daughter was living and  is buried in Wiltshire.

I was hoping that perhaps by finding his Wokingham baptisim maybe it might give some information on his father Joseph who it seems was a prison guard for the British Military.

So if anyone has access to baptisim for this area and could check it would be greatly appreciated.

Frederick's granddaughter Daisy Isabella Wade was mostly raised by her grandparents as she was the illegitimate daughter of Frederick's daughter named after his sister.  Daisy married Ted Clark from Stroud and they migrated to Australia after the First World War.  So I'm a bit to far away over here to check for myself.

Blessings
Deb

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wokingham baptisms
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 11:03 BST (UK) »
What I'm hoping to find is his son Frederick Mayo Wades baptisim in Wokingham and possibly his younger sister Isabella Caroline Wade born 1839.  I can only guess she may have been born in the same area as the 1841 cencus just says she's not from Newbury. 

An 1839 birth should be on the birth registration index but I can't find one for her  :-\

1841 census only say yes or no to born in that County not the actual town or village  :)
As both places are in Berkshire then you would need to look in another County for a baptism. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 11:21 BST (UK) »
Were there any more siblings do you know?

There's a baptism in Jersey Channel Islands 16 Feb 1842

father Joseph Wade
mother Martha Grubbe Wade

child Martha Priscilla born 22 Dec 1841
death for her in Dublin 2 Sep 1851 - father Sgt Joseph Wade
Arbour Hill Cemetery

There's a piece about her death on the find a grave site with a photograph of the stone if you don't already have it.
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 11:32 BST (UK) »
So presume the family were in Dublin at the time of the 1851 census.  And 1861 for Joseph - no trace of him to give a birthplace?
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 13:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply ... yes that is them they had two children in Jersey and another (Charles) in Dublin.

But Frederick and Isabella I can't seem to find baptisims for?  They are proving a challenge  :) that's for sure.

Bkessings
Deb

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 13:28 BST (UK) »
You cannot assume that in 1841 Wokingham was part of Berkshire.  At that time it was partly in Wiltshire and you need to look there for baptism records.
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 13:31 BST (UK) »
Oh and yes nothing for Joseph ... quite frustrating I'm told thy often destroyed records for soldiers that die in service ... I have no idea why?  He had also been widowed but again no idea who his first wife was as I don't know where he was from?

Blessings
Deb

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 13:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you .. will check Wiltshire ... although Frederick says he was from near Reading? 

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 16:41 BST (UK) »
I did find Joseph in Ireland in 1851 just lists heads of families and he is listed at the Royal Barracks, military Provest and Garrison cells.  But unfortunately this also does not state where he is from ... and I've no idea where his family are?

Blessings
Deb