Author Topic: Wokingham baptisms  (Read 3870 times)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Wokingham baptisms
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 30 March 17 13:53 BST (UK) »
Six parishes to the east and south of Reading were peculiars of the Dean of Sarum.  Sonnng, Hurst, Wokingham, Sandhurst, Ruscombe and Arborfield.  These were transferred to the diocese of Oxford in 1844 and at that time became part of Berkshire. There  is an old boundary stone opposite the main entrance to All Saints Church in the centre of Wokingham which marks the boundary between Berkshire and this disjointed part of Wiltshire.   
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline candrjm

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Nanny and Grandad married in 1921
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 15 June 17 15:07 BST (UK) »

Baptism:

Place: All Saints Church Wokingham
Date: 12th April 1833
Name: Frederick Mayo Wade
Parents: Joseph & Martha Wade
Abode: Market Place
Father's Occ: Sergeant of 60th Reg of Riffle Corps

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 15 June 17 15:49 BST (UK) »
You are a gem!! You've been so very generous with your time ... I was thinking of writing another post here as I've also since found some more information on Jospeh Wade ... I had some help from a researcher who did 2 hours at Kew for me to check into Jospehs muster rolls.  As I couldn't work out how to do it.

Turns out he enlisted in London in 1820 and the only clue to his place of birth is "st George" which there was a Jospeh Wade baptised at St George the Martyrs in Southwark Surrey born 1803 baptised 1804. So we are checking into that now.

He was was discharged a year before he was due a pension in Nov 1840 in Corfu.  He received a payout which it's believed was in leu of a pension and then continued on in a private roll mostly as a prison warden and possibly at one stage as a school master ... as it turned out there was another child Selina Matilda Wade she was born in Dublin  ... who added another twist to the family tree in that  she married her brother Frederick's brother in law Francis Edwin.  Jospeh is listed as school master on her marriage record.  I'm told this was quite common in that ex soldiers were offered these positions and as Jospeh was a colour sergeant he was educated.  there is another twist to Selina's story  ... she's listed with Francis' parents in 1871 cencus and Francis is an inmate ... for reasons I haven't worked out yet.  Francis later remarries and is noted as a widower on marriage record but there is no death I can find of Selina ... however I find Selina now as Selina Dunbar and living with her niece for the next 3 cencus records (daughter of Fredrick's other sister Isabella who also married a soldier Richard Hall) Selina is listed as Selina Matilda Dunbar .... but I don't believe she legally married her husband Alexander.  So I'm thinking her marriage to Francis didn't work out.

Just to make things a little interesting ... I'm hoping it's not the same Jospeh ... but it's possible Jospeh's first wife didn't die either!  Awaiting outcome of that bit of information.

On Joseph's muster rolls his occupation was listed as slate maker.  I will let you know what the outcome is on Jospeh.

Thanks for your help, what a surprise to receive your message!
 ... after I posted my last post here we were invited to Dubai where my brother in law lives for a two week holiday, only I had to return less than a week later as my dear dads health took a turn for the worse and I got back with only enough time to hold his hand and say good bye ... I believe he waited for me as an hour and forty minutes later he was gone ... he wasn't conscious when I got back which was rather awful ... but I rang him while he was still able to speak ... just wish he was still here to share all this with me ... it's been a tough few weeks ... he died 5 weeks ago tomorrow. 

Can't believe it still ..

Having the family tree to work on has given me a bit of a distraction. 

I've also been checking a link on my mother's side ... seems she too has Berkshire ancestry ...

Blessings
Deb