Author Topic: Goatmansland ? , Kilwinning, Ayrshire.  (Read 1387 times)

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Goatmansland ? , Kilwinning, Ayrshire.
« on: Thursday 30 March 17 08:08 BST (UK) »
I have come across a place called "Goatmansland" in Kilwinning, Ayrshire.  Perhaps associated with Corshill.  Can anyone confirm the name?
McLaren, McKirdy, Gorman, Blyth, Paterson, Galloway, Morgan, Tait, McPherson, Anderson, Wylie, Mcgillvray, McAlees, Montague/McTague, Singleton, Campbell, McNaught, Robertson, Ferguson, Docherty, McGlinchy, McGarry, O'Hara, McMillan, Little, Blair, Smith, Batley, Rodger, McIntyre, Black, Miller, Small, Spurling, ?Golden, Brown, Flannaghan, Lawn, MCallum, McLean, Paton, Dickie, McAllister, Auld, Glen, Biggart, Orr, Thomson, Neil, Walker, Weir, Mcvichie, Henderson, Fernie, Spence, Ker

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Goatmansland ? , Kilwinning, Ayrshire.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 March 17 07:18 BST (UK) »
Not a name I'm familiar with I'm afraid.  Have you tried the site Ayrshire Roots?
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 March 17 07:32 BST (UK) »
I'll try that, thank you.
McLaren, McKirdy, Gorman, Blyth, Paterson, Galloway, Morgan, Tait, McPherson, Anderson, Wylie, Mcgillvray, McAlees, Montague/McTague, Singleton, Campbell, McNaught, Robertson, Ferguson, Docherty, McGlinchy, McGarry, O'Hara, McMillan, Little, Blair, Smith, Batley, Rodger, McIntyre, Black, Miller, Small, Spurling, ?Golden, Brown, Flannaghan, Lawn, MCallum, McLean, Paton, Dickie, McAllister, Auld, Glen, Biggart, Orr, Thomson, Neil, Walker, Weir, Mcvichie, Henderson, Fernie, Spence, Ker

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 March 17 09:33 BST (UK) »
The word Land can often refer to a property, often a tenement. Often preceded by the name of the original owner eg Goatmans Land. Just a thought.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 March 17 11:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks  for sharing these thoughts.  They fit in with my thinking.  It's probably of little consequence.

Sheena

Offline Istrice

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 March 17 12:03 BST (UK) »
It might be Goatmuirland that you are looking for.

The attached 1832 map (http://maps.nls.uk/view/74400168) shows its location just to the East, and North of Kilwinning.  Follow the road through the town and cross the River Garnock, then take the first road on the left, and travelling North for about a mile, Goatmuirland is written across the line of the road.  It looks as if the actual location of the property lies above the "l" in the name.

Istrice

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 31 March 17 12:38 BST (UK) »
Brilliant.  Thank you so much for taking the trouble.

Sheena

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 31 March 17 16:27 BST (UK) »
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 April 17 07:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  I've got another one for you.  My ancestor Jean Wylie (nee Spurling) died at "Repla (or Riplma) moor".  All records relating to her are in Kilwinning, but her death is recorded as Neilston.  When I downloaded the record it gave me this place.

Regards

Sheena