Author Topic: Your Blacksheep-Do they amuse you?  (Read 14008 times)

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Your Blacksheep-Do they amuse you?
« Reply #27 on: Monday 08 May 17 10:40 BST (UK) »
This one isn't exactly a black sheep, but this will from someone in my husband's tree, from 1699 dishes the dirt on the testator's wife thus:
(this comes after generous bequests to his brother and sisters, nephews and nieces and their children, and a cousin)

Item I give unto my wife Elizabeth Towers she having been unconstant and dishonest towards me And unto her illegitimate daughter Theodosia (whom I herby clearely disowne to be my daughter and am fully satisfyed she was not gotten by me) the sum of one shilling apeice and noe more in full of all their claimes and demands whatsoever out of my Realle and Personall Estate resolving that they shall  never have noe further or other part thereof

(He seems to have been a very particular man: he also left money for gloves for all the mourners at his funeral; black for the men and white for the women.)
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 08 May 17 14:07 BST (UK) »
Another one of mine assaulted someone with his "billycock"

It's a variety of hat.  Doesn't sound like a very vicious weapon though.

Reminds me of a case in the late 70s or early 80s, where a man walked into a Post Office and announced "I have a P45 in my pocket - give me everything in the till"

Charged with robbery, his rather ingenious (but ultimately unsuccessful) defence was that a P45 is a tax form, and thus announcing that he was in possession of a tax form and demanding money was not capable of being demanding money with menaces (for how can you menace someone with a tax form?) and thus the act of handing over the takings had been a voluntary one in the nature of a gift ...
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 08 May 17 14:09 BST (UK) »

Imaginitive defense, did it work I wonder ;D ;D ;D
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 08 May 17 16:26 BST (UK) »
I am horrified to admit that I have a bit (well, a lot?) of admiration for my GG G/F who needed four constables to get him to the lockup, drunk, on the night before he died in custody next morning, according to the 1889 newspaper inquest report.

I am ashamed that in 1891 my second great granduncle was fined 10/- and costs 'for having driven a bicycle on the footpath'.  And it was reported in the local paper.

Martin

Offline Jbo11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 01:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I was just wondering who the "Mr. Boddam" might be in this? Might be a relative of mine so I'm very curious! very funny story though!

-J

Offline Johnf04

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 02:46 GMT (UK) »
One of my 3 x great grandfathers, Abner LUCAS, was convicted of assault, in Staffordshire in 1820. In November 1819, he and some others had thrown rocks at a Yeomanry cavalry patrol in Burslem.
He served 2 years in jail, and later moved to County Durham, where he married and became a successful businessman. One of his sons, John, was mayor of Gateshead.

A newspaper article, in 1961, discussing old Gateshead, mentions Abner's arrival in Eighton Banks, and his establishment of a brickworks there. The article says "What brought him to this North-East village may never be known......"
Farrell  - Ayrshire
Cairns - Ayrshire
McCann - Ayrshire
Brown - Ayrshire
Petty - Yorkshire, Durham
Lucas - Staffordshire, Durham
Whitaker - Yorkshire
Thackrah - Yorkshire
Stephenson - Durham
Marshall - Yorkshire
Walker - Staffordshire, Southland New Zealand
McCullough -  Antrim, Southland New Zealand,
Cavanagh - Galway, Southland New Zealand
Anthony - Tipperary, Southland New Zealand
Bath - Cornwall, Tasmania, Southland
Brungot - Alesund, Norway; Southland
Bonthron - Fifeshire, Southland

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 07:52 GMT (UK) »
Another one of mine assaulted someone with his "billycock"

It's a variety of hat.  Doesn't sound like a very vicious weapon though.

Tell that to Oddjob! ;)
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 11:31 GMT (UK) »
My great-grandfather left his country village to find work in London and became a policeman there.  Sadly he was dismissed the force 2 years later for "stealing strawberries" and slunk back to the village, where he spent the rest of his short life.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 12 December 17 11:52 GMT (UK) »
I have someone who murdered someone with an axe and then tried to hide it by burning down the house he was in - but left the axe in the persons head! - how dull can you get

Of course it has to amuse you (although it wouldn't if it wasn't so long ago) - have to say his death was later recorded as he was murdered himself - and I'm not really surprised