Author Topic: Your Blacksheep-Do they amuse you?  (Read 14125 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Your Blacksheep-Do they amuse you?
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 24 December 17 01:14 GMT (UK) »
How about we all make a New Year's Resolution to not corrupt every thread into "Look at these bozos on Ancestry. "

Instead, let's corrupt them by completely changing the original  question. So: is anyone ashamed of any of their long-dead relations? And if so, why?

That seems to be a dig at me.  I'm not ashamed of any of my ancestors whether they were saints or otherwise - I merely admitted I wasn't sure and I certainly wouldn't describe anyone as a bozo.

I do admit to being amused to find my OH had a smuggler in his line but am now rather irritated because I haven't yet discovered the whereabouts of his court case. -
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Palladium

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 24 December 17 01:37 GMT (UK) »
I wasn't happy to find my g'grandfather in court for beating his children. But finding my g'father and his brothers in trouble for petty crimes and being drunk was a hoot... :)
WESTMORLAND/LANCASHIRE
Heap, Armer, McNamara, Nelson
ESSEX/NORTHAMPTONSHIRE
Humphrey, Potton, Snow

Offline Johnf04

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 24 December 17 07:42 GMT (UK) »
There's nothing one can do, to change the past....so feeling ashamed about the behaviour of ancestors is pointless.
Farrell  - Ayrshire
Cairns - Ayrshire
McCann - Ayrshire
Brown - Ayrshire
Petty - Yorkshire, Durham
Lucas - Staffordshire, Durham
Whitaker - Yorkshire
Thackrah - Yorkshire
Stephenson - Durham
Marshall - Yorkshire
Walker - Staffordshire, Southland New Zealand
McCullough -  Antrim, Southland New Zealand,
Cavanagh - Galway, Southland New Zealand
Anthony - Tipperary, Southland New Zealand
Bath - Cornwall, Tasmania, Southland
Brungot - Alesund, Norway; Southland
Bonthron - Fifeshire, Southland

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 24 December 17 09:24 GMT (UK) »
They don't amuse me and I don't feel ashamed of them but they do interest me as do all my ancestors.

We can't change the past good or bad it is what it is.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 24 December 17 10:35 GMT (UK) »
The only troublemaker I've found among my ancestors is my g-g-g-grandfather, a baker, who was fined for selling underweight loaves of bread. Several decades later, his son was convicted of the same offence. (Maybe he inherited his father's scales..... or his unscrupulous nature.)

The newspaper archives are a great source of information. They really help bring your tree to life. I've come across some real horror stories - murder, child abuse - from more distant relatives. I'm glad Elijah-the-loaf-fiddler is the only ancestor (that I know of!) who's been up to no good.
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 24 December 17 15:08 GMT (UK) »
We call ours bad boy Benjie......3 x great uncle Benjamin Spilsbury alias Edward Kelly alias Thomas Harper, he felt the hand of the law few times. Having seen his photo I don't think I'd have liked to get on the wrong side of him. ::)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 24 December 17 16:38 GMT (UK) »
My 4xgt grandfather, a mariner, got drunk and ended up in a fight with two of his shipmates - it ended with him grabbing the handspike and hitting one guy over the head so hard it shattered his skull and caused a brain haemorrhage. Luckily the guy survived. Mark was held in Newgate Prison for something like 19 weeks before being tried at the Old Bailey.

The notes are online and it was helpful in identifying his christening, particularly the bit about being called a "Scotch bastard"! I won't say I think he was a rogue, but it makes for one of the more interesting parts of my tree.

Mark was found not guilty, presumably on grounds of provocation, and although I felt rather sorry for him from some of what was said I think I would have hanged him if I'd been on the jury  :-\

Offline Guyana

• RootsChat Member
  • How far back do you want to go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 26 December 17 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Can I claim my MiL, for riding a bike without a rear light, during the War?
CORDEN - N.Staffs/N.Warwicks
MORGAN - Tamworth/Notts
HIGGS - N. Warwicks
DEEMING - N.Warwicks
LEWIS - N.Warwicks

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 26 December 17 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Can I claim my MiL, for riding a bike without a rear light, during the War?
:D :D :D :D

Coversely, we heard a knock on our door one evening during WWII - Our mother answered to find it was the warden informing us there was a chink of light showing between our black out curtains.  She gave a classic example of "scurrying" to amend the situation.

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke