Author Topic: best option? monthly subscription or "credits"?  (Read 1236 times)

Offline southportgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
best option? monthly subscription or "credits"?
« on: Thursday 30 March 17 21:56 BST (UK) »
started researching my father's english relatives a few years back but for different reasons gave itup. am now wanting to get back into it and was wondering is it better value for money to do amonthly subscription to one of the research sites or the"credits" option? i remember paying for a photocopy of a record from an office (can't remember if it was a census) but when it came it was illegible.
so basically i'm wanting advice on how best to dip my toe into the waters again.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: best option? monthly subscription or "credits"?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 March 17 22:05 BST (UK) »
It really depends how much you are going to use it. I've always found that credits work out more expensive unless you are 100% sure that you have the correct record.

It might be a good idea to watch out for the frequent offers from sites such as Ancestry and FindMyPast when they offer a month at a reduced price, often as cheap as a £1.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 March 17 22:10 BST (UK) »
also check your local library to see if they offer free in-house access to Ancestry and/or FindMyPast.

That would be even cheaper if you can do your research at a convenient time.

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 March 17 22:50 BST (UK) »
Paying by credits means you're always umming and ahhing about whether to look at the record. Having the freedom to just give it a bash is worth a lot.
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 March 17 23:09 BST (UK) »
Agree Stevie,

Also, when I tell people I love my genealogy, some tell me they do it for free!

I tell them it costs me £'s for different sites such as SP (scotlandspeople)/Fancestry/Blindmypast & they ask how much a yrs sub is.

When I tell them they think I'm nuts until I say 'divide it by 52' & they look at me in a strange way!!

So, bottom line is, if you spend (just using a figure) £200 per yr ÷ by 52 = less than £4 p/w & sit in comfort too  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 March 17 01:01 BST (UK) »
Rosinish, that's a great way of  looking at it!   Since I have retired, I've stopped paying annual subs.  Fortnightly now for some, 20 credits when I need them on SP  - (who will also try to improve the actual images if you are not happy) Pay as you go for others - easily cope with those with my Superannuation fortnightly budget. 😄
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 31 March 17 08:59 BST (UK) »
Good way at looking at it Annie. It's a hobby, and most hobbies cost money to do properly - even a free one such as going for walks, needs money spent on the proper clothing and footwear.

To be able to follow your tree and be sure that you are as corrrect as possible, at some point you do need to spend money - on access to a paying site, certificates or visits to record offices. I'm afraid I don't see how anyone can do it for free, even by using the many free sites such as FamilySearch and Freebmd, at some point you have to put your hand in your pocket to confirm what you've found as not everything is on line.

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 31 March 17 10:41 BST (UK) »
As you don't know how much you will be using the commercial sites it may be better to wait for a free weekend type offer from Ancestry or FindMyPast. Somebody usually posts on here about free access so keep watching this site. Free access use will give you an idea whether you want to spend more time or not researching a particular line.

Blue

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 31 March 17 10:46 BST (UK) »
The problem with pay-as-you-go is that there is a financial incentive, when faced with something that you're pretty sure about, to say "nah ... I won't pay to check the record that will confirm it ... what I've got is good enough"; and then you can be led astray if it turns out to be wrong.

With a subscription, the more things you look up, the better value you're getting for your money ... so there's a financial incentive to check, check and double check, and always to look at that record just to be sure.

So I would say subscription is better, if only because it incentivises and therefore encourages good research habits rather than poor ones.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright