Author Topic: Birth Lookup - Robert BANKS 1811 Suffolk near Bury St Edmonds  (Read 1166 times)

Offline 999WOODBURN

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth Lookup - Robert BANKS 1811 Suffolk near Bury St Edmonds
« on: Monday 03 April 17 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am trying to find a bit more information about our ancestor, Robert BANKS, who came to Australia in 1841 as a soldier in the 96th Foot Regiment. There is evidence he enlisted in 1833 in Bury St Edmonds, Suffolk. Military records state he was born in Great Layham, Norfolk, but there is no Great Layham in Norfolk. There is however a Great Saxham, Suffolk quite close to Bury St Edmonds.

The evidence he was born in 1811 is less certain. There was a note in a family bible that he was born in 1811 and died in 1870 - no more information than this. Until recently, it was not known exactly what had happened to him after around 1865 or so. All trace seemed to have vanished. His youngest child was born in 1864, so he was certainly around then, but nothing after that. Finally, it was discovered that he had indeed died much later in 1898 aged 88 in the Bendigo Benevolent Asylum. So a birth around 1811, as noted in the bible, may be close to the mark.

We have no record of his parentage, any siblings or anything really. It appears there were 2 or 3 Robert Banks born in 1811 in Suffolk not too far from Bury St Edmonds, but I have not sighted these records in any detail.

I am wondering if anyone has access to any records which might show who his parents were, and whether this can be cross checked with any next of kin nominations in military records. Any other ideas on where to look further would also be appreciated.

Brendan

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Lookup - Robert BANKS 1811 Suffolk near Bury St Edmonds
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 April 17 19:12 BST (UK) »
There are a couple on the Suffolk baptism index in 1811

Robert Banks born 12th March, bap 2nd June, son of Ester, bastard born at Gt.Saxham
Ester Banks married John Frost, a widower in 1816 in Gt. Saxham

Robert Banks  born October 30th, bap 10th November, son of Caleb and Susan(late Pawson) at Whepstead
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 999WOODBURN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 02:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the response Suffolk*sue. This is interesting information!

I see on "google" a Robert Banks, born 1811, died 1841 in Whepstead. Can it be confirmed whether he was one of the two you have mentioned?

Also, do you know if there is any avenue we might be able to follow to determine the parentage of the Robert Banks who enlisted for military service in Bury St Edmonds in 1833?

Brendan

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 02:45 BST (UK) »
Name    Robert Banks
Event Type    Census
Event Date    1841
Event Place    St Matthew, Suffolk, England
Residence Note    The Queen'S Barrack'S Ipswich
Gender    Male
Age    30-34
Age (Original)    30
Institution    The Queens Barracks Ipswich
Birth Year (Estimated)    1807-1811
Registration District    Ipswich
Book Number    13
Parish    St Matthew
County    Suffolk
Page Number    4
Registration Number    HO107
Piece/Folio    1043/42
Affiliate Record Type    Institution

Offline 999WOODBURN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 03:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this response solidrock.

We are quite certain our Robert Banks arrived in Australia as a guard on the prison ship Asia on 31st August 1841, so it is difficult to know if the information you have provided relates to our man or not.

We have fairly solid information about his time in the 96th Foot Regiment and it appears his regiment was in Chatham around 1840, probably assisting guarding of convicts awaiting deportation to Australia. The Asia departed Chatham on 12th April 1841 with 200 male convicts bound for Van Diemen's Land.

What we are really trying to determine is whether either of the two Robert Banks from the 1811 Suffolk Baptism records described by Suffolk*sue is our man. Not sure if we can do that!

Brendan

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 04:47 BST (UK) »
The 96th Foot Regiment came to Chatham from Salford and Wigan around 1840 so perhaps we should look in a different area for Roberts birth.

Name    Robert Banks
Gender    Male
Christening Date    06 Dec 1811
Christening Place    STANDISHGATE SAINT PAULS CHAPEL INDEPENDENT,WIGAN,LANCASHIRE,ENGLAND
Birth Date    28 Oct 1811
Father's Name    Robert Banks
Mother's Name    Ellen

Note.  There is Upper Layham and Lower Layham, in Suffolk.

The Robert Banks born 1811 October 30th, Whepstead seems to be the same Robert who died in  October 1851.

Offline 999WOODBURN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 05:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Solidrock,

Yes, you may well be correct. We simply don't know anything earlier than he enlisted in Bury St Edmonds in October or November 1833. This is really the only reason we have tended to think he came from around that area.

Interesting information about the Robert Banks from Whepstead - that probably rules him out of the picture.

Our Robert's military records were professionally searched some 20 years ago, so I am assuming if there had been reference anywhere to his parentage, it would have been picked up.

The evidence seems to indicate he was a bit of a rogue, most probably illiterate, although he may have signed his marriage certificate. For all his 13 years in the army, he never rose above the rank of private and it appears he was often in trouble losing his good conduct pay and other privileges from time to time. As I said in my opening post, it looks like he abandoned his family (or was pushed out) around 1865 or so with nothing more heard of him until the circumstances of his death were finally unearthed around 10 years ago. The notation in the Victorian Government Death records lists both mother and father unknown. Dying as he did in a mental institution, it could well be that he wound up there with no-one knowing anything about it and him not capable of providing any details about himself.

I will be in the UK later this year and will have a couple of spare days, so wondered if there was anywhere I could go to search records looking for further clues.

Brendan

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 15:48 BST (UK) »
For what it's worth, I would say your Robert Banks is the illegitimate one born 12/3/1811, bp.2/5/1811 Great Saxham, son of Ester.

I don't know if you have a copy of the original military copies viewed by the professional researcher some 20 years ago, or just a copy of his report.   If the latter, it is quite possible a 'squirly' written Saxham could look like Layham to the researcher.

Added to this, there is no further trace of the Robert Banks born 1811 Great Saxham after this date in UK records which lends more credence to him being your man.

However, I cannot see how you can find the kind of proof you want - a military record then wouldn't have shown parents only birthplace, and the fact he enlisted at nearby Bury St. Edmunds plus there being no further trace in UK records of the Robert Banks born at Great Saxham 1811 all lends support to the fact that this is your man.

Annette

Note: The 1841 Census man in Ipswich is shown as not born in Suffolk which rules him out, plus your man wouldn't have been on the 1841 census anyway if he sailed from Chatham on 12/4/1841 as the 1841 census wasn't taken until 6th June!

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 16:11 BST (UK) »
As already stated, Esther Banks married a John Frost in 1816.   They had a son John bp.1816 Great Saxham and then they move to Hargrave where further children baptised.   Tenuous I know but the son John named one of his own children Robert bc.1838.

Esther Frost bc.1791 buried 29/1/1839 Hargrave

Esther Banks b.17/4/1790, bp.23/4/1790 Little Saxham, dau. of Thomas and Elizabeth.

Annette 
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk