Author Topic: Purse family of Cambuslang  (Read 2977 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Purse family of Cambuslang
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 29 September 18 06:06 BST (UK) »
- the photo you included of Burntshields, is that a possibility it may be the house I am talking about? 
It's possible.

Edit...my reply in blue as I don't know what happened here, it's following on from the quotes  ???

I stumbled on the link Forfarian posted earlier in my searches & discarded it as I wasn't too sure this was the same place, Cambuslang (Glasgow) v Kilbarchan (Renfrew) & still not convinced.

Had a look on VRs again;

MARSHALL ROBERT COWAN Proprietor Occupier
HOUSE KIRKTON MEIKLE BURNTSHIELDS, KILBARCHAN
VR011400096-

Robert C Marshall owns many properties, seems to be a large estate.
No Purse on VRs for Burntshields, Kilbarchan 1920

This was just prior to James' death 1921 in Cambuslang & we have my reply #4

PURSE JAMES CAMERON Proprietor Occupier
HOUSE BRUNTSHIELS 19 LIGHTBURN ROAD CAMBUSLANG
DRAINAGE LIGHTING AND SCAVENGING
VR010700343-

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 29 September 18 09:34 BST (UK) »
I stumbled on the link Forfarian posted earlier in my searches & discarded it as I wasn't too sure this was the same place, Cambuslang (Glasgow) v Kilbarchan (Renfrew) & still not convinced.
You're right. I searched for 'Burntshields' and 'Cambuslang' and didn't notice that it was in Kilbarchan - you need to scroll down quite a bit to see that. My apologies.

So no, this is a red herring, not the place where the Purse family lived.

I have looked in the LDS CD-ROM version of the 1881 census, and there is no Burntshields or Bruntshields listed in Cambuslang in that census. There is a listing transcribed as 'Hamilton Rd Lightburn', and most of the houses in the same Enumeration District are also on Hamilton Road.

Looking at the first edition of the Ordnance Survey six-inch map
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=55.8103&lon=-4.1395&layers=5&b=1
Lightburn is a row of houses on either side of Hamilton Road. Compare it with the first edition of  the 25-inch which was surveyed in 1896
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=55.8103&lon=-4.1395&layers=168&b=1
and you can see that there have been big changes. A colliery has been developed at Flemington complete with rows of cottages, the side road that diverged from Hamilton Road in the older map has now become the major road, and a linking road with houses on one side has been built.

Compare this again with a modern map, and you can see that what was Hamilton Road has been renamed Lightburn Road from its junction at Halfway.

I speculate that Burntshields Cottage was one of the houses or cottages in Lightburn fronting what was originally Hamilton Road, but was renamed Lightburn Road at a later date. These may not necessarily be the same houses that were there on the oldest map.

A rateable value of £20 in 1905 would have been a fairly substantial house, rather than a miner's cottage.

From the satellite view it looks as if most if not all of the 19th century houses in Lightburn have been demolished and their sites re-built on.

Some of the more recent Ordnance Survey large-scale maps do show the names of some individual houses. If you can find one of these from about the 1920s (which are not, as far as I know, available online, but I'd be happy to be told I am wrong about that) you may be able to see which house was Bruntshields Cottage.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 29 September 18 11:09 BST (UK) »
Hi
thanks for the clarification.  I have very much appreciated the maps, it now puts in to perspective where they and their children lived at one time or another: Landward Dalton Hamlet,  Hallside School - daughter Annie was a teacher there and married Rev. Robert Logan at Hallside parish church, Drumclog, Wellside Halfway - where the grocery shop was, Springwell another grocery shop. Thanks for adding to the story  :D
Welsh: Kilbarchan;Canada; New Zealand
MacArthur:North Knapdale
 Weckesser: Germany, Netherands, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia
O'Brien: Australia, New Zealand