Author Topic: Purse family of Cambuslang  (Read 2992 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Purse family of Cambuslang
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 20:42 BST (UK) »
From Edward Boyle's site as linked before, this looks to be a photo of Lightburn Road c. 1912 www.edwardboyle.com/EB/Cambuslang/LightburnRoad.jpg

Link to main page here www.edwardboyle.com/EB/Cambuslang/Cambuslang001.html

Monica

PS: EdBoyle, is this your site we are using for photos? Great collection of images and recods you have gathered there  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 20:56 BST (UK) »
You're correct Monica...I'm getting mixed up now  ::)

Yes he did own the property but not sure it was a Colliery house although he'd resided in Lightburn previously?

I can't find 'Bruntshiels', Lightburn, Cambuslang although this may be a different house in the Lighburn area to where he was as late as 1895.

Lovely pic on link!

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 21:14 BST (UK) »
It's possible James was still working for the Colliery as 'Scavenging' seems to have had a different meaning to what we know it?
Depends what it means to you :)

When I was a child scavengers, scaffies for short, were the men from the council who came round and emptied the rubbish bins.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 21:33 BST (UK) »
Forfarian...

Please read above posts as I did check what 'Scavenging' could possibly mean whilst combined with Drainage & Lighting.

That was the reason I said "'Scavenging' seems to have had a different meaning to what we know it?"  ;D

Monica posted a link at Reply #5

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 28 September 18 10:41 BST (UK) »
Hi all
thank you for all your information, rather timely as I am in the process of writing up my final copy for this branch of the family.  I have gathered heaps on this family in the last 12 months but find it reassuring to have my research confirmed.
Just some additional info:
Annie Purse (ms Welsh) died on 31 January 11916 at 19 Lightburn Road Cambuslang. Bruntshields cottage (sometimes spelt Burntshields) is where they lived for the later part of their lives.  James died 2 August 1921 also at Bruntshields.  James was a Blacksmith through and through but did spend some time as a Colliery smithy.  His son James was the informant of his father's death, and yes this James did own property, he appears in the newspaper as having had his shop broken in to  on 28 June 1905. Another son John also had shop property.  Annie died Testate - which I found, and so did James although I have not been able to locate this.  Annie and James had 8 children, all of whom I have researched which has included following some to Canada.
Regarding the information about Scavenging, my understanding from looking at the Valuation Roll they paid extra in their Rent to cover 'Special water supply, drainage, Lighting and Scavenging'.  Therefor this did not mean it was his actual job.  At £22 for annual rent and a Feu duty of £1 5s as a proprietor can anyone tell me what sort of house he would have owned in 1920?

Again thank you so much of your ongoing interest and the additional websites which I had not found. 
Welsh: Kilbarchan;Canada; New Zealand
MacArthur:North Knapdale
 Weckesser: Germany, Netherands, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia
O'Brien: Australia, New Zealand

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 28 September 18 11:53 BST (UK) »
this James did own property, he appears in the newspaper as having had his shop broken in to  on 28 June 1905. Another son John also had shop property.
Is it not possible that he rented his shop premises? Even in this day and age many if not most shops are rented rather than owned by the shopkeeper.

At £22 for annual rent and a Feu duty of £1 5s as a proprietor can anyone tell me what sort of house he would have owned in 1920?
Annual 'rents' listed in the valuation rolls are a notional figure assessed according to a set of rules by the local authority. The rates (local taxes) payable by a householder or business were a proportion of the 'annual rent' or 'rateable value'. It is important to realise that the so-called 'rent' in the valuation roll did not represent what the occupier actually paid in rent to a landlord, if he was tenant rather than owner of the property.

The rules for assessment took into consideration the number and size of the rooms in the house, its amenities, and the amenity of the immediate surroundings. Theoretically the rateable value of a similar house with similar should have been the same all over the country.

If you lived in a rented house, as most people did, you paid three lots of money
- rent to the landlord who owned the property
- feu duty to the feudal superior, who owned the land on which the house stood
- rates (local taxes) to the local council to pay for the cost of running council services. These might or might not include water supply, mains drainage, street lighting and refuse collection, which were provided in cities but not necessarily in rural areas, so not all households had to pay this.

In the 1920s, the house I (later!) grew up in had a 'gross annual value, being yearly rent or value' of £33 16s and a rateable value of £34. It is semidetached and has 4 rooms and a kitchen on the ground floor, 3 decent-sized bedrooms, a small bedroom or boxroom, bathroom and separate toilet upstairs, and small gardens front and rear, with two sheds and a coal cellar. In 1902 this house was valued at £26. 

Across the road is a detached single-storey cottage with a garden behind and a very tiny garden in front. I don't know how many rooms it has, as I don't think I was ever inside it, but in the 1920s its gross annual value and rateable value were both £20. In 1902 this cottage was valued at £10.

Have you seen https://www.scottishhousemove.co.uk/uploads/files/SCT150178/schedule_SCT150178_11_11_2016.pdf -i looks as if this cottage has been extended by the addition of a lounge and has had two bedrooms created in the attic space.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 28 September 18 19:54 BST (UK) »
Good morning
thank you for your reply and great explanation on housing.  Just another couple of questions it has now raised:
- when the Valuation records says the word "Proprietor", does that not necessarily mean the person owns the property?
- the photo you included of Burntshields, is that a possibility it may be the house I am talking about?  If so I have hunted high and low for it and would be delighted if this were it so I could understand its location.
Thanks again, and any further info would be extremely welcome.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 28 September 18 21:13 BST (UK) »
- when the Valuation records says the word "Proprietor", does that not necessarily mean the person owns the property?
Yes. The proprietor owns the building, but may still have to pay feu duty to someone who owns the land it stands on.
- the photo you included of Burntshields, is that a possibility it may be the house I am talking about? 
It's possible.

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 28 September 18 21:40 BST (UK) »
Hi again
thank you for clearing that up, the concept of owning a property but not the land it sits on is new to me!
Time now to go off and do some more investigations  :)