Author Topic: Aberdeen County Militia Records: Bounty Certificate  (Read 914 times)

Offline Fogmoose

• RootsChat Senior
  • For many hours and days that pass ever soon...
    • View Profile
Aberdeen County Militia Records: Bounty Certificate
« on: Tuesday 04 April 17 05:54 BST (UK) »
So, I have discovered that a "Bounty Certificate" exists for my 4th Great-Grandfather who was in the Aberdeen Militia. It is dated 1793.

I have inquired with the Aberdeen City Archives about getting a copy of the documents, and I am hoping to hear back from them.

My question is, has anyone had any experience with Bounty Certificates of this kind? What information can I expect to find in it?

I have searched the web but have not been able to find anything specific.

Thanks!

Jaffray, Morrison - Monquhitter
Bird or Burd, Ironside - Methlick
Young - Aberdeen, Banffshire
Reid, Milne - Kincardineshire
Sanderson, Marshall, Marr - Foveran
Black, Ross - Rathven
Searle or Seale, Steel(e), Forbes, Adams- Aberdeen
Hutche(s)on, Keith, Greig, Fowlie - Cuminestown, New Deer, Monquhitter, Methlick

Offline Fogmoose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Aberdeen County Militia Records: Bounty Certificate
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 19:25 BST (UK) »
OK, received copy of the document, nice scanned image of the front and back. Only cost about a dollar US.

Unfortunately, there is very little Genealogical information. It does not even say the parish of residence, only County of Aberdeen. However, the strange thing is that this is a Naval bounty...not a regular Militia! It says William Jaffray volunteered to serve aboard his majesties frigate Southampton. Date of 26th March, 1793.

on the rear of the document appears to be a signed receipt. Would this be my ancestors actual signature?

anyone have any idea what the word before bounty is?

Black, Ross - Rathven
Hutche(s)on, Keith, Greig, Fowlie - Cuminestown, New Deer, Monquhitter, Methlick

Offline Fogmoose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 23:56 BST (UK) »
OK upon doing some further research, it appears the Frigate Southampton had a busy career. It was active in the French revolutionary wars, taking part in the battle of the 'Glorious 1st of June' in 1794, as well as the second battle of Cape St. Vincent in August, 1797. It was then 'paid off" a few months later.

So if I understand Naval service correctly, during that time period a Seamen who enlisted stayed with that ship until it was 'paid off', at which time he was free to leave the service if he so desired. So my ancestor presumably served on the Southampton from 1793-1797? Any Naval experts out there that can offer any more information? Would their have been any time off for leave during that period? Would sailors have been able to return home at all during that time?

I must say I am quite surprised to find this incidence of Naval service for this ancestor, if indeed it is actually my relative at all. I am certain that this ancestor served in the Aberdeen Militia as he is listed on later muster rolls for 1803 and 1810. But I am still a bit skeptical that this could be the same William Jaffray, since he is born and resident quite a ways inland from the coast. 

I see that there are other records that may possibly refer to the same person in the Lists of Royal Navy service awards, but as I dont have a subscription to ancestry it will have to wait till I can get to the library.

Oh Well, you never know what you will find in this hobby!

Black, Ross - Rathven

Offline Fogmoose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 April 17 16:13 BST (UK) »
So I was right to be skeptical, there was another Wiiliam Jaffray about the same age as my ancestor, in Peterhead. He apparently had the naval career and later became a shipmaster in Peterhead.
oh well, i only spent a dollar!
Black, Ross - Rathven