Author Topic: Gordon Blair - Mystery? or Not!  (Read 33374 times)

Offline OZScot

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gordon Blair - Mystery? or Not!
« on: Thursday 06 April 17 08:22 BST (UK) »
Hello All,
I need some help to solve this Ancestor of a close friend of mine that I'm doing an Family tree for.
You will be placed in the Genius class if you can or shed some light.

I have never come across, from a man who was obviously an articulate man who could read and write, who had a responsible well paying job in his day and who would plainly know all of the correct details for which he had to give on such things like BDM's & travel documents etc., I have to conclude that they were most likely fabricated and intentional or just plain Bizarre.!!

Unless someone can find a missing piece or pieces or a known family reason, I have to say it is intentional, but why I have no idea and can only surmise. I'll lay out some facts for investigation.

His name is either Gordon Blair [most used] or James Gordon Blair used often, but I haven't yet seen Gordon James Blair. He married Jane Norval on 7 June 1850 in Glasgow Lanarkshire - Fact.
I have seen Janet Norval and Jane Jamieson Norval as well, when her name is used. She had been married or most likely not to Henry Schawbe and they had a child Jane Drummond Schawbe or Norval but Henry died before her birth.

Gordon's birth is as used by him on documents is any of 1826, 1828, 1832, 1847 ... there are more if I dig deeper but that'll give you an idea what has been used. Also his place of birth is as much varied too. Stirling, Stirlingshire, St. Ninians, Glasgow and Dumfries to name some. His parents are listed as John & Jane Blair - farmers.

Back to Gordon & Jane Norval. They had 5 children Georgina was the 1st 15 Nov 1850 and the next 4 all died within a short time frame. One that may be the hardest to find was an unnamed child born 10 July 1852 the others are well documented.

Now it gets interesting because I next find Gordon Blair arriving by ship the Mangerton on 7 Aug 1861 in Brisbane sunny Queensland ... alone !!. He states he is 19yrs, farm labourer born Stirlingshire. Before leaving he had a job as a 'Law Clerk' but states farm labourer. Hmmm .... keep the law clerk to the front of matters as it will reappear in Qld.

Where is Jane Blair? I found her in the 1861 Census living as a boarder 27yrs with her daughter Georgina now 9yrs and the head is listed as Esther Jamieson 27yrs same age and that 'Jamieson' name & may be related?. Jane has reverted back to her Maiden name Norval for her and Georgina.
Did they divorce? I can't find one maybe someone can? I would like to think so because the deceit on his certificates continues in Qld.

Did he divorce or did he have a major bust up with Jane and leave amicably ? or did he desert and board ship and lie about his age & job qualifications to be hard to find. He left on that ship from Plymouth. Long way from anyone to detect him back then and why not leave from Glasgow where he was working?

More to come as I have overstepped the size quota.
Ewing, McKinnon, Sproul, Sanderson, Douglas, Quince, Lyell, Sharp.

Offline OZScot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Gordon Blair - Mystery? or Not!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 April 17 21:04 BST (UK) »
Gordon or James Gordon's birth hasn't been registered so he can pick any birth or age he wants to be. A few years after being in Brisbane a very young colony crying out for educated men and women and Gordon soon finds work as he can read and write and people from Scotland were renown as the most well educated of the immigrants. He finds work - not as a farm labourer - but in the law office of the Hon. Arthur Macalister in Ipswich. Farm labourer indeed !!!

His talent is being noted and he is next found working for Her Majesty's Customs in Brisbane and was appointed 8 May 1865 as a clerk and was soon promoted to Chief Clerk & Locker. Next another promotion he is now sub-collector of Customs of Ipswich. His star is shining and he meets a lady which he soon marries, Julia Droughton on 7 July 1876 in the Manse Anne Street Brisbane.

On the MC he says he is 29yrs - so born 1847 at - Dumfries. He says he is a batchelor not widowed or married before. He is 19 yrs when he arrived in 1861 born 1842. More deception? or just a bad memory. His Bio says he died just short of his 68th birthday. He died 23 Aug 1900 ipswich that makes born 1832. It says he landed here 40 yrs ago that makes 1860 landing close enough. If he's 68 yrs and landed here 40 yrs ago he was 28 yrs when he came, not 19 yrs and birth about 1842.

His marriage produced 4 children the 1st of which Elizabeth dies likely at birth in 1863. That's 4 children in row he has lost in 'both' marriages includes the one to Jane Norval he denies. Strangely
he registers the girls births but not his 2 boys!!! A bit more than weird for a law and customs clerk who need to be accurate in everything they do, write and say. Hmmm ...

The only thing correct or factual I can find about Gordon Blair is his marriage dates and his death date. I hope someone can enlighten me as to a mistake, more hidden information, a divorce or what ever even a birth certain year would be great.

To top this story all off is his last born and son James William Blair who's birth wasn't registered in Qld but he became quite an important figure in Queensland. Best guesstimate is 16 May 1871 at Coalfalls Ipswich Qld. He was admitted to the Qld Bar 6 Mar 1894 and quickly rose through the ranks to become Qld Solicitor General and Government leader in the Upper House. In 1893 he was elected Attorney General until April 1898 when he became Premier at age 37yrs. Unfortunately we weren't going to see the best of Sir James William Blair, yes he was Knighted. That same year he died 27 Sep 1898 after having a bout of 'measles' which was soon followed up by pneumonia and cardiac failure. He died before his father 'Gordon' Blair.

Any comments and information will be most welcome.
Regards.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 April 17 22:47 BST (UK) »
Hi OS

Can you do a summary please of what his name was on each doc. such as marriages, kids births, travel & where he was supposedly born on docs relevant etc?

I looked for a divorce using Blair/Norval but I haven't tried any variant of the surname Norval yet.
Divorce would be rare back then but who knows?

Have you found him on any census' in Scotland & what name, age & P.o.b did he give?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline OZScot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 April 17 23:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply and offer of help Rosinish.

I have just received an email for a request of information from The Ipswich Cemetery Qld as I knew he was buried there but no records online and they have been kind enough to go through their files.

Sad to say but damage by the 1974 floods and vandalism has destroyed headstones and their whereabout etc. However they managed to find this information below.

Gordon Blair
Aged 66 yrs at time of death
Date of death: 23/08/1900
Date of burial: 24/08/1900
Burial number: 006611
Funeral Home/Undertaker: J W Reed
Grave location: Presbyterian B (Section) unmarked grave (no headstone or grave marker)
Record comments: POSSIBLY ASSOCIATED WITH WIFE AND DAUGHTER (P00151 & 7966)   BDM - SON/JOHN BLAIR & JANE

John and Jane as last mentioned would be his parents names.

1841 Census: he is Gordon Blair age 15 Born Stirlingshire St Ninians Cambusbarron abt 1826.
others- Jean Blair 20, Elizabeth Blair 19. Strangely no one else.

1851 Census: he is Gordon Blair age 23 born St Winians living Calton 18 Clyde st. Solicitors Clerk
born abt 1828. Others- Jane Blair 21, Georgina Blair 4 mo.

1861 Census: I can't find him as he is likely travelling to board that ship in Plymouth but I found Jane Norval age 27 Born Glasgow abt 1834 she is a boarder and she's working as a stay-maker and Georgina is now 9yrs. Head is Esther Jemeison [as spelt] and the address is 40 Maxwell street

1861: Brisbane Qld - Gordon Blair age 19yrs farm labourer - Stirlingshire.
1863: 3 April Elizabeth is born and he is Gordon Blair 31yrs & Clerk. Mother Julia Droughton 25yr born Ireland. Gordon says they are married in 1863 in Ipswich Qld. --- lie. All the children were born
between 1863 & 1870 out of wedlock. They weren't married until 7 July 1876 in Ipswich. Not a good look for the Attorney General of Qld.

More information to follow.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 April 17 00:08 BST (UK) »
Hi
What precise details are provided on his QLD death certificate?

Is every column completed with information required?
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline OZScot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 April 17 00:17 BST (UK) »
1864 26 May: Isabella Dun Blair is born to Gordon Blair & Julia Droughton.- from an index only
1867 21 Aug: Henry Gordon Blair is born and never registered. That date came from Sir James' Bio
        and it was retrieved from school records.
1870 16 May 1871: James William Blair was born and again not registered and again retrieved
          and it was retrieved from school records.
Mystery why only the girls registered and not the boys? Maybe the 'B' word?

On Ancestry records the 1st 2 children born with Jane Norval the father is Gordon Blair, the next 2 children the father is James Gordon and the last is back to Gordon and Jane is Janet.           

Offline OZScot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 April 17 00:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sparrett for you enquiry.

*** I have a copy of the DC courtesy of Dianne Fryga.

Everything is filled out and it says his father John Blair was a Hotel Keeper.
Mother was Jane Dun.

I know from the MC that his father at that time presumably was a farmer as was Julia's father.
It says he was born Glasgow, Lanark and he had been here 40 yrs. Death was certified by son J.W.Blair.
It list the children still alive as Isabella Dun 36, Henry Gordon 34, James William 30.
It says he was married at age 24 [on the MC he says 29 & Julia 27]

Suffered 4 days.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 April 17 00:42 BST (UK) »

You have a lot of information here, and it is difficult to consider the possibilities. You are researching the origins of this man -

QLD BDM marriage
1876 / B5281 BLAIR Gordon   m.  DROUGHTON Julia

Can you please list all the information on this certificate.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 April 17 00:49 BST (UK) »
Hi OS,

"1841 Census: he is Gordon Blair age 15 Born Stirlingshire St Ninians Cambusbarron abt 1826.
others- Jean Blair 20, Elizabeth Blair 19. Strangely no one else
"

Are any of the above listed as 'Head'?

Not sure if it's a transcription or the actual image but have you looked at the previous page as his parents should/may be on it?

If the parents are there, the info of where he was born is more likely where he was actually born?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"