Author Topic: Thomas GAGHEN born abt. 1825 Beagh Kilmac Duagh  (Read 9133 times)

Offline Adelaide Hills

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas GAGHEN born abt. 1825 Beagh Kilmac Duagh
« Reply #18 on: Friday 07 April 17 23:21 BST (UK) »
Morning Mr Haywood , I went through  the parish records  they were interesting even though  they were not  mine . I just thought of something  Phillip  son of Thomas   was married  twice (my line is from the second  marriage) Do you think if I got his First  Marriage  Certificate  it MIGHT  have were his  father came from ? Adelaide  certificate for 26th August 1882  might help if not have you any thoughts . Guess it is night time your end . My daughter lives in Cork  chat soon Cheers Gail😀😀😀😀

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 08 April 17 07:22 BST (UK) »
Hello again,
The information you have re Thomas' origins seems quite specific doesn't it. When I first searched I couldn't  find a mention of Beagh so looked to Kilmacduagh.
Searching again gives a parish of Beagh - the next one to Kilmacduagh/Gort.

http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/galway/beagh.htm

There are Geoghegans there too but no Toole/O'Toole. There are variations of the name - interestingly a Gahahan.

Sadly, the records are not helpful re the dates.

http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0614

Heywood (I am female  :) )

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Adelaide Hills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 08 April 17 11:19 BST (UK) »
Hi just got home from work,  I am   very  sorry about your name ,   its funny I had a Mr Haywood  at school  when I was little.   Any way I very much appreciated all the work you are  doing  for me . I certainly  didn't  realize  the magnitude of the names and places in Ireland   .It is so interesting , well I can understand why they shortened  their name to Gaghen . I wonder if I got copies of the children birth certificate  they might have If Thomas had a second  name  or his place of birth . Yes I know I am clutching  at straws but then I know we have done our very best and I know they came from some in Galway Ireland  , my daughter and family live in Cork  hope to catch up with her later this year .
If you have any other thought s or ideas  love to hear  them Cheers Gail😀😁😀😁

Offline Adelaide Hills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 08 April 17 12:03 BST (UK) »
Hi have just been going through some paper work I found this  from ancestry Thomas  Gaghen  birth About 1826 Kilcloon , Batterstown and Kilcock, Meath and Kildare  Ireland
Is this any were near Galway   not sure weather this is any good as i find so many mistakes and so many things in  Anstrey.  Well lets see what happens 😀😀😀😀😀
Cheers Gail

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 08 April 17 12:46 BST (UK) »
THOMAS GAGHEN born  ABOUT 1825  BEAGH KILMAC DUAGH GALWAY  Wife Margaret O'Tool from Dudlin  about 1834
left  on the Grand Trianon  for Adelaide arrived 23 March 1855. Thank you for you time Cheers :) :)

Going back to the beginning - where does this information come from? This place seems quite likely as the ship's list gives Galway as place of origin.
If this is correct we have looked at two neighbouring parishes but their records start too late.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 08 April 17 12:55 BST (UK) »
This is what we have seen already- note no place of residence transcribed for Margaret - assumed perhaps both Galway.
http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/grandtrianon1855.shtml

The same records transcribed for Find My Past are in the name of Gahagan and Margaret's place of origin shows Galway.
It could just be an interpretation of the records which is transcribed and unless  the original record is seen you wouldn't know.

Offline Adelaide Hills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 08 April 17 13:25 BST (UK) »
Wow you have been busy , I am not sure were I got the information about Thomas  beagh kilmac duagh    it was in my notes  from awhile back.  Do were we know  were we can see tne original  paper  ok yes it maybe a couple  of  hundred years old  ha ha  .I am realy stuck  there were lots and lots of Thomas a  Margaret from galwaythe intersting thing id they said they were 21 on the ship but when Thomas died in Adelaid 30th August 1890 he was 66 on death  certificate  I know some people  fib about their  ages  here goes cheers
😀😀😀Gail

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 08 April 17 13:27 BST (UK) »
This is what we have seen already- note no place of residence transcribed for Margaret - assumed perhaps both Galway.
http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/grandtrianon1855.shtml

The same records transcribed for Find My Past are in the name of Gahagan and Margaret's place of origin shows Galway.
It could just be an interpretation of the records which is transcribed and unless  the original record is seen you wouldn't know.

Research on Thomas and his wife in South Australia and sources of information including information from BISA
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=768182.0

The survival rate for passenger lists in South Australia is poor.

Sources for information on the website -

State Library South Australia,
Official passenger lists, mainly of Immigrants arriving in South Australia under United Kingdom assisted passage schemes, 1847-1886 GRG 35/48 (formerly ACC 313);
Sydney Shipping Gazette;
South Australian Register;
The South Australian Government Gazette;
GRG 35/48/2 Crown lands and Immigrant ships papers;
Biographical index SA 1836-1885 (the B-index column indicates individuals who may be found in that index, with corresponding reference number for further research) ;
FreeBMD;
1851 UK census

From SA Records
https://www.archives.sa.gov.au/content/our-catalogue
Series Id: GRG35/48       
Records relating to official assisted immigration - Crown Lands and Immigration Office Consignment/Sub-Series:00001
Official assisted passage passenger lists - use microfiche in the Research Centre.
Unit:7
Official assisted passenger lists, 1855   

Surname          Year              First name/List No    Volume
GAHAGAN1855         Margaret 55/19        7     
GAHAGAN 1855         Thomas 55/19        7

You would need to visit either the State Library of South Australia or SA Records.

Their dau Ann was not born on the journey to Adelaide.  It would have been noted on the Ships List website.

Cando

Offline Adelaide Hills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 08 April 17 13:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Cando ,hope all is well  with you  would it be worth me writing  a letter to then asking for a copy of the records or do you think they did not put much in formation on it in those days  I have been trying to find Thomas and Margaret but not much to go on and have learnt a lot about how there are Cheers Gail😀😀😀😀