Author Topic: WARLOW and HOWELL families - New Moat  (Read 3398 times)

Offline WarlowPhillips

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WARLOW and HOWELL families - New Moat
« on: Thursday 06 April 17 18:53 BST (UK) »
Hullo! I'm new to this and came across this thread when searching for a relative. So I'm not sure if I should join in this thread. Help please? Anyway my great x 3 grandparents were Richard and Mary Warlow who married in Roch or Nolton Haven in 1838. Mary was born around 1811 her father is written as Levi Howell from Henry's Moat/New Moat on the wedding certificate. This is where I'm stuck. Daughter and I had difficulty finding a Levi for that sort of age group. There was one who was born in 1787 illegitimate (wording was actually bastard). The father was named as John Howell, blacksmith of New Moat. We have no idea of Levi's mother though as she was not mentioned. There were quite a number of Levis around then. Anyone got any ideas?

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WARLOW and HOWELL families - New Moat
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 April 17 19:10 BST (UK) »
Hullo! I'm new to this and came across this thread when searching for a relative. So I'm not sure if I should join in this thread. Help please? Anyway my great x 3 grandparents were Richard and Mary Warlow who married in Roch or Nolton Haven in 1838. Mary was born around 1811 her father is written as Levi Howell from Henry's Moat/New Moat on the wedding certificate. This is where I'm stuck. Daughter and I had difficulty finding a Levi for that sort of age group. There was one who was born in 1787 illegitimate (wording was actually bastard). The father was named as John Howell, blacksmith of New Moat. We have no idea of Levi's mother though as she was not mentioned. There were quite a number of Levis around then. Anyone got any ideas?

Hello welcome to Rootschat :)

Best if you start your own thread, as it could get lost in the original posters info. If you find a connection can add to this thread later.

Will ask a mod to split the thread for you.

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Online osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 April 17 19:22 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat from me too.

The parish marriage entry from Roch shows both of them resident in Nolton Haven, the place of residence is for bridge & groom, not the fathers.

1861 census shows Mary's place of birth as Henry's Moat and there's a marriage in that parish 25 May 1809 for Levy Howell & Elizabeth Lloyd, shortly followed by a baptism of son Thomas to the couple.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Online osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 April 17 19:40 BST (UK) »
1851 census Levi & Elizabeth are in Henry's Moat, Levi's place of birth given as New Moat. HO107/2480 folio 324 pg 2. New Moat registers for that period are not available online, but can be accessed at the Pembrokeshire record office

http://www.pembrokeshire.gov.uk/content.asp?id=15732
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman

Offline WarlowPhillips

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 April 17 19:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everyone. Really appreciated. So quick too! I'll check up on Elizabeth Lloyd. How will I find out who Levi's mother was though?

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 April 17 20:17 BST (UK) »
As no civil reg until much later, and only his father named on bapt, I think it could be quite difficult to pin down.

Just my thoughts...

On the 1841 same family given in 1851, there is a Mary b circa 1821. Your Mary was b c 1811, and married 1838.  But no relationships given 1841. 

Cas

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire

Online osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 April 17 20:20 BST (UK) »
Sorry, some of the New Moat BT registers are on FindMyPast. There's a burial 3 Feb 1794 of a Levy, natural son of Mary Griffiths of Stepaside who may be the child baptised in 1787.

Can't tell where you are in the world, so don't know how practical contacting the record office is for you, but sight of the baptism entry rather than the entry written up later for the Bishop's transcript may give other info.

Offline WarlowPhillips

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 April 17 20:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks Cas and osprey, point taken. Have to say I thought the same as osprey, found that entry, so perhaps the Levi father of Mary Howell was not illegitimate. Find my Past also gives a record of "Levi" as a surname. It is obviously wrong when you look. Found an entry for a Levi Howel (christian names) with Gibby as a surname. I live in Pembs so think it will be a visit to the Record Office. It's a strange journey as I had no idea until recently that my maternal grand father's family were from Pembs. We moved here in 2002 and I love it.

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 April 17 20:43 BST (UK) »
West Wales...It is one of my fave parts of the whole world! Visited often, you are very lucky, I hope to retire there (I wish)  :P

I live in the South.

Good luck with your FH search.

Cas  :)

Lewis - Breckonshire