Author Topic: WARLOW and HOWELL families - New Moat  (Read 3399 times)

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WARLOW and HOWELL families - New Moat
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 06 April 17 20:49 BST (UK) »
John Howell, blacksmith of New Moat, will almost certainly have been the son of  Griffith Howell and Mary Morgan, baptised at New Moat on the 20th March 1766. Griffith Howell married Mary Morgan at New Moat on the 12th November 1757.

Offline WarlowPhillips

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 06 April 17 20:55 BST (UK) »
Yes thanks Cas. Have visited all the churches that we found to have connections. Its quite emotional especially as they are all in beautiful places. However the Warlow connection were miners. This was a tough time which people rarely realise about Pembs. I have read records about 4 year olds working at the mine as a normal situation. When the coal ran out around 1865 is when my family moved to another mining area Glyncorrwg, Neath. I knew about Glyncorrwg as my grand father was born there. The strange thing is though that my husband's family farmed the land there whilst mine "farmed" underground. However the Howells were farmers. Thank again.

Offline WarlowPhillips

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 April 17 21:01 BST (UK) »
John Howell, blacksmith of New Moat, will almost certainly have been the son of  Griffith Howell and Mary Morgan, baptised at New Moat on the 20th March 1766. Griffith Howell married Mary Morgan at New Moat on the 12th November 1757.
We thought this but its so difficult when someone is illegitimate. The strange thing is that the mother's name was not on the Baptism record. I've learnt that the parish supported illegitimate children and encouraged the naming of the father to save parish costs until the Poor Law came in. But on this occasion no mention of Mum.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 06 April 17 21:52 BST (UK) »
if you can get to check the registers, have a look at Levi's marriage in 1809 in case the names of the witnesses help. 

Also, I'm not finding baptisms for the children after Thomas bp 1809, so it's possible that the family were non-conformist.

:-\
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 07 April 17 01:24 BST (UK) »
Topic split.

Spades
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline WarlowPhillips

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 07 April 17 08:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you for sorting my post, Spades.

Offline WarlowPhillips

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 07 April 17 08:17 BST (UK) »
if you can get to check the registers, have a look at Levi's marriage in 1809 in case the names of the witnesses help. 

Also, I'm not finding baptisms for the children after Thomas bp 1809, so it's possible that the family were non-conformist.

:-\

This was the problem daughter and I found. I had a look on Ancestry and think that you are right. They became non-conformists by the look of it. There was such a huge revival thing going on at the time. In Wales where you have a Church of England (now Church in Wales) there is usually a non conformist chapel across the road! I wasn't allowed near a chapel when I was a child. Consequently I am very happy for everyone to do as they wish in their religious beliefs. The visits to the churches havn't been wasted though as I found the graves of the Howell families at New Moat and Llanycefn. Warlows were all Church in Wales people and Mary and Richard are buried at the church in Glyncorrwg. This is interesting as I believe in order to be married in the church you had to be christened in the church. I'll check for a baptism for Mary Howell nearer her marriage in 1838. Thanks all for your help and patience.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 07 April 17 10:09 BST (UK) »
in the period between Hardwicke's marriage Act and the start of the civil registration in 1837, marriages had to be in the parish church apart from for Quakers & Jews. With the start of civil registration, marriages could be in non-conformist churches but a registrar had to be there to record it. This was the case until the 1890s. So, I doubt there was insistence on having been baptised in what was then the established church in Wales. The Church in Wales was disestablished by an act of parliament in the 1910s.
One of my family lines were non-conformist and yet the marriages were in parish churches.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline bevans2

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 15 September 17 15:12 BST (UK) »
Hello
Do you know approximately which year Richard Warlow, from Nolton, was born?
If it was about 1809 we may have a link via shared ancestor.
Cheers
Byron