Author Topic: Lanton Jedburgh Scottish Borders  (Read 5842 times)

Offline j1200k

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lanton Jedburgh Scottish Borders
« on: Saturday 08 April 17 13:26 BST (UK) »
Hello

We live in Lanton Jedburgh and the village is trying to set up a history group. We are looking for anyone that can help identify who lived where and if anyone has any relevant pictures relating to the village.

We have census records back to 1801 and quite a lot of information that needs putting together. Can anyone out there help with our village quest?

regards

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Lanton Jedburgh Scottish Borders
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 April 17 17:33 BST (UK) »
Hi , welcome to RC  :)

I've moved your request  to the Roxburghshire board.

Are you aware that Maxwell Ancestry have transcriptions for the 1841 , 1851 , and 1861 Roxburghshire Census ?
http://www.maxwellancestry.com/census/default.htm

Some of these transcriptions have links and additional information that may help.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 April 17 13:24 BST (UK) »
My mum and her sisters went to school in Lanton in the 1930's - when they lived a Timpendean - I'll ask her if she remembers anything

Offline j1200k

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 April 17 16:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Terianne.

That would be so kind of you if you could ask your mother.  What was the surname when she was living here?  Also her sisters names.

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 April 17 20:02 BST (UK) »
my mum's maiden name is Mary L Aitken b= 1928

Her sisters were Jessie E W Aitken b= 1926 and Alison H M Aitken b= 1932

Elder Brothers were David b=1918 and Robert b=1921 - both worked at Timpendean that's how they all moved to Timpendean  in the mid 1930's

The family moved to Hopton in 1939 then the boys were called up

Robert actually registered them at Lanton because his parents were working

Parents were George Aitken & Mary Ann Aitken (nee Hunter)

The family farmed at Harrietsfield, Nr Ancum before going the Timpendean - all the children were born at Harrietsfield

I'll keep asking questions, but her memory is not brilliant

Offline j1200k

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 09:40 BST (UK) »
Wow

that is so nice to hear.  Will start to build this into the history for that property.  We have only been in LAnton since November 2016 so still trying to find out way around.  We have met with the owners of Timendean farm, and one of the sons Malc lives in the village with his partner Michelle.

Mention to your mum, Weavers cottage is is on the opposite side of the road Beeswing and the The Old Manor Inn.  I think the Old Manor Inn would have been derelict at that time but a couple bought it and when they bought it it had no floor no windows etc. Chickens used to live it by a man that bought the cottage next to beeswing  He used to be a pilot in the 1st world war. Now been transformed back to the original era with all Queen Anne furniture.  Our cottage Weavers used to be owned 2 sisters that never got married.  Used to be a blacksmiths shop and house.

Offline j1200k

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 09:43 BST (UK) »
If you would like I could send you through some pictures of our cottage as it was painted white and now we have had that stripped off so it is back to its original stone.  I could also take other pictures of the village if you would like to show her.  Would do that via private mail.

Offline Cathiemay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 May 17 21:32 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    I  am very interested in Lanton, as my ancestors lived there in the 1800's.   Their name was Storie/Storry and they were blacksmiths . I would love to hear what you find out about the village.
                             regards Cathiemay

Offline j1200k

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 May 17 09:55 BST (UK) »
Hello

Well you may be surprised to know that the Storie's have been mentioned quite a lot in the village.  Once I can nail the exact ones down I will reply to you.  Our cottage is one of the oldest in the village dating back to 1650 and it also was a blacksmiths cottage and workshop next door, of which we now own with the cottage.