Author Topic: Lanton Jedburgh Scottish Borders  (Read 5878 times)

Offline peem

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lanton Jedburgh Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 July 18 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hello

We live in Lanton Jedburgh and the village is trying to set up a history group. We are looking for anyone that can help identify who lived where and if anyone has any relevant pictures relating to the village.

We have census records back to 1801 and quite a lot of information that needs putting together. Can anyone out there help with our village quest?

regards
hi, 
I have family links to Lanton. My great grandfather Thomas Smail operated the blacksmiths from sometime in the 1800's and it continued via his son William Smail until the mid 1950's. I visited my my mother's uncle Bill when I was about 6 or 7 years old and remember the masses of tools hanging on the walls and the large bellows that operated the fire of the smithy. I believe that fresh water was only avaoilable from the village pump located on the village green. The toilet was a "netty" at the bottom of the rear garden - a bit of a novelty from the luxury of Jedburgh sanitary system.
I can prepare a potted history of the Smail family at Lanton for your records - let me know what information you have and I will try to fill in any gaps.
Incidentally I have been promising myself a visit to Lanton if I get up to the area and intended to knock on your door to see what had happened to the old smithy.

Offline jahjahau

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 October 18 12:09 BST (UK) »
Hi 
My GGGgrandfather's brother, Lancelot DOUGLAS, died in Lanton on 31 May 1860.  He was a widower and was 81 years old when he died.  He was formerly a tenant of Whitehouse Farm, Ancrum, according to 'The Southern Reporter' 7 June 1860, which reported his death. 

Judy

Hello

We live in Lanton Jedburgh and the village is trying to set up a history group. We are looking for anyone that can help identify who lived where and if anyone has any relevant pictures relating to the village.

We have census records back to 1801 and quite a lot of information that needs putting together. Can anyone out there help with our village quest?

regards
[/quote]

Offline Cary Elliot Johnson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 February 19 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi there.
I'm hoping I can both help and get help.
I am searching for parents of my ancestor, Archibald Elliot. He was born 1812 in the Jedburgh region, and worked as the head gardener at Monteviott Estate, before taking a posting in 1838 to Australia on a farm as an overseer.
He left on the Rajasthan ship with his wife Mary Kerse and one child.
He is recorded on the departation list as last residing in Lanton. This might help you.
What I am looking for is any evidence that either he or his Elliot family were registered prior to 1838 in Lanton, most importantly if any names of his parents pop up.
Happy to email further info or share other info.

TIA, Cary Elliot Johnson, Australia

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 16 February 19 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Are you aware that Maxwell Ancestry have transcriptions for the 1841 , 1851 , and 1861 Roxburghshire Census ?
As does FreeCEN https://freecen1.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl so you can see if the transcriptions agree and if not view the original documents and see what they actually say.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline peem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 18 September 19 20:04 BST (UK) »
Hi, I visited Lanton the other day - first time in 70 years and did not recognise the place from my childhood memory. I called at the property named "The Old Smithy" who was unable to tell me if his daughter was the person I was looking for and commented that there was another "Old smithy" in the village with a different name and told me where this was. I spoke to the owner of the second property - up the hill from the small memorial garden and he said it may be his wife who called for information and so I decided to leave my information for her to examine and left my e-mail as a contact if there were any queries. He also told me that there was probably four "blacksmiths" operating in the village at that time. I said it was the Smail family that was my heritage family and mentioned the Smail Plough" and he recalled a report of one of these in use in India pulled by oxen and that there was a one in the village memorial garden donated to the village a few years ago.
I visited the garden on my way back and photographed the plough.
regards Peem 

Offline Becky Wiese

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 09 October 19 21:32 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm new to RootsChat. I'm from the US and researching my Rutherford family in Scotland. My 5th Great-Grandfather was Thomas Rutherford who lived in Lanton during the 1841 and 1851 Scotland Census. He was a joiner, which is a carpenter, I think. He was born in Roxburghshire (about 1786), but I can't figure out who his parents are. Or when he died. Or where. I'm guessing he died in Lanton, because he doesn't appear on the 1861 Census. He was married to Mary (possibly Mary Bell) who was also born in Roxburghshire around 1781.

Anyway, I know these are questions, not information, but I thought I'd put this out there if anyone has any information on this Rutherford branch in Lanton. I've heard there are a lot of Rutherfords in the Scottish Borders, so this might be a stab in the dark.

Offline peem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 October 19 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Beckie,
I just wondered if you were aware of a website called Scotland's People" which records Old Parish Records of births marriages and deaths in Scotland from 1553, Statutory records from 1855 and census records from 1841.
If not you can google the name "Scotland's People" and register for free to give you access to the records. If you want copies of the records access is provided to copy the details at a nominal cost (£1.50 in Britain)using your own printer.
The records are not 100% complete but are constantly being updated as the Old Parish Records are checked and verified before adding them to their list.
To demonstrate its use I have entered the name Thomas Rutherford in marriages at Jedburgh and only 3 results came up. Only one had a wife named Mary. The record shows a Thomas Rutherford married a Mary Smith at Jedburgh on 5th Dec 1826. Just to note - Lanton is within the district of Jedburgh.
I hope this information assists your searches - Good hunting - Peem 

Offline Becky Wiese

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 12 October 19 19:56 BST (UK) »
I've tried using the Scotlands People website, but the pay per view really adds up. I wish they had a membership option so you could search all you wanted for a set price. The marriage record you mention is about 10 years too late for the children they have. But I'll keep hunting. Thanks!