Author Topic: NBI (Surrey) - GAWKRODGER  (Read 2981 times)

Offline v i c k y

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
NBI (Surrey) - GAWKRODGER
« on: Thursday 28 July 05 16:40 BST (UK) »
Can anyone find a death for Renard Gawkrodger, please? I think he had died by 1881 (his wife had remarried by 1876, anyway). He was born in 1821 in Shepley, Yorkshire. He was married in Staines, Middlesex and his children were all born in Bermondsey, Southwark and Christchurch between 1845 and 1859. Hope that's enough information to make a search possible. :)

Many thanks,
Vicky
Barrington, Westerman (originally from Hannover), Long (originally from Prussia), Lorymore, Flyng, Porter - all Bristol, Gloucestershire.
Grimes - Bridgwater, Somerset.
Lamb - Poplar, Essex, Hither Green, Kent.
Dwan, Turner, Cole, Carter, Walker, Kay, Hughes, Maplesden - all St Olaves/Bermondsey/Rotherhithe/Southwark/Stepney/Lambeth/Wandsworth.

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Grandfather Bryant 1897
    • View Profile
Re: NBI (Surrey) - GAWKRODGER
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 August 05 07:20 BST (UK) »
Vicky

It was probably a slip of the pen.....and he had been married before?....or was all the children seen in 1861 aged 16, 13 and 12 born out of wedlock?....and the last one aged 2 being the first child that Renard and Ann Millicent had together?

he married Ann Milicent Baker at St George Hanover Square, Dec qtr, 1857, vol 1a, page 310......not Staines......

Ann Milicent Baker came from Staines....as seen with her husband and children as well as  sibling the lodger in 1861 at 35 George Street, Christchurch, Surrey.

This is where I have probably drifted off into pure fantasy........read on

I don't see evidence of the older children being born in Surrey!.........Halifax could be the birthplace of all 3 of them from the 1861! ........and your Renard might be named John (Renard) Gaukrodger who married Ann Priestley in Halifax in 1843......the first born child being James who was born in the March qtr of 1844 and who died in the June qtr of 1844 as James Priestley Gaukroger.
The next born son they also named James (in respect of the first born).....he was born Halifax in the June qtr of 1849.........but before that Mary Jane Gaukroger was born in Halifax in 1845..........Emma born Halifax in 1846, but this one does look a wee bit dodgy if you go on the 1861 census!

Back to reality..........

And back to Ann Millicent Baker..... as you rightly said she married William Clark in 1876 and is seen living at 107 Blackfriars Road, Southwark in 1881 with her daughter? and niece.

Not that any of that had anything to do with Renard's demise

Now me having led a sheltered life thought that their can't be many Gawkrodger's.......how wrong can you be............thousands of them!

Now where is he?

Is he actually Renard?
In 1821 at Baildon, Yorkshire a male was christianed who went by the name of Renard Gawkrodger.................. his parents are JAMES GAWKRODGER and MARTHA RENARD .......your Renard was born c.1821 in Yorkshire...............Now SHIPLEY & BAILDON are as good as dammit the same place...............  :) so one assumes that is he...which you are undoubtably aware of

It was quite common to add the mother's maiden name as the middle name of the child, but to use is as the first christian name?

Is Renard as seen in Surrey in 1861 aged 40 (I thought it said 60 at first!) .......... really someone else? ...........it could be said that Renard is something Renard.............?

It appears that..........
"Renard's" mother Martha (nee Renard) died at St Olaves Southwark in the Dec qtr of 1871 aged 79.....she was living as a widow on her own at 16 Parish Street, St John Horsleydown, Southwark in 1861.....she was aged 67 and born BALDON, YORKSHIRE  (Baildon)
So her husband James died pre 1861....but where?

What do ya think.......fact or fiction....or a bit of both...............Over To You

and i'm still no closer to finding Renard's? demise

Regards
Bryant
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline v i c k y

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 August 05 23:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Bryant,

Thanks so much for all that. I'm afraid I can't add anything new. The only information I have is what's freely available online. I've no idea if he was married before or if the older children were born out of wedlock. (Sorry!)

It's all very confusing! ::)

The first Gawkrodger on my tree (that being the most recent) is Jane Martha Gawkrodger who married Alfred John Carter on 25 December 1866 in Christchurch, Southwark. She was born in 1845 in Southwark and died in the March quarter of 1900 in St Saviour, age 56. Apparently Renard was her father and through him came the link to Yorkshire.

I asked for a lookup of the 1861 census for Jane Martha Gawkrodger. The results are here - http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,76404.0.html - and from there the other Gawkrodgers appeared. That's also where I got the impression that all the children (Renard's children) were from Surrey.

You could be right about Renard really being John Renard and marrying Ann Priestley in Halifax in 1843. That would explain the "Priestley" in the name of the first James. I didn't know anything about him, though.

Renard's mother was Martha Renard and it seems her father was John Renard (married to Tabitha Craven in June 1785 in Baildon). Again, this is taken from the internet.

Renard's father was James Gawkrodger. Perhaps this (he) is why Renard's first son was called James?

I'm sorry I can't be of any more help. It's all a complete mystery.

Thanks ever so much for your interest in this. :) I definitely need to dig deeper.

Best wishes,
Vicky
Barrington, Westerman (originally from Hannover), Long (originally from Prussia), Lorymore, Flyng, Porter - all Bristol, Gloucestershire.
Grimes - Bridgwater, Somerset.
Lamb - Poplar, Essex, Hither Green, Kent.
Dwan, Turner, Cole, Carter, Walker, Kay, Hughes, Maplesden - all St Olaves/Bermondsey/Rotherhithe/Southwark/Stepney/Lambeth/Wandsworth.

Offline Ken_R

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 May 21 14:09 BST (UK) »
I knowthis is a very old post.

But it’s become clearer what happened to renard.

Ken
Russell (Ayrshire/Glasgow), Caldwell, Anton(Ayrshire/Glasgow), Stokes (Birmingham/Worcestershire), Baker (Southwark/Staines)