Author Topic: James Holmes of Walcot - born 1822ish  (Read 1733 times)

Offline Meggiejayne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Holmes of Walcot - born 1822ish
« on: Tuesday 11 April 17 15:14 BST (UK) »
Hello

I'm sure many of you will have come across my posts concerning Sarah Bellamy and James Holmes and their 5 children out of wedlock. A distant relative has been doing some research on my behalf and believes that James may have actually been married - I haven't seen the documents/evidence she has found yet - so cannot say for sure. However from all of my research the James I have is son to John and Elizabeth Holmes (nee Ulyatt) and I trace him through the censuses living at home, unmarried until the 1881 Census when he is living with an uncle (Ulyatt) still unmarried aged 58. His death I believe follows in 1882 aged 61. I believe he was born in Walcot due to reports of a bastardy hearing in the paper for one of Sarah's daughters. So I believe I have the correct James.

However looking at the 1861 (which I've just discovered) and the 1871 Census returns there is a John Holmes listed on there as a grandson...now I don't know whether this is a son of James (none of his other children live with him - all with their mother in 1851 and scattered around her relatives after her death in 1861)...in 1861 his sister is at home unmarried so could be her son but she is not on the 1871 census but both James and John are. I've tried searching for a birth of John - born 1860ish in Walcot but cannot seem to find a birth or christening record for him to find out who his parents are. Have also tried to search for a death/marriage for Elizabeth (born 1829, Walcot) to suggest why she's not on the 1871 census but to no avail.

Anyone able to shed any light on any of these?

I still think I have the right James at the end of the day but we shall see.

Melanie

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Holmes of Walcot - born 1822ish
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 16:26 BST (UK) »
There was a James HOLMES (son of William) married Sarah WRIGHT (dau of William) at Walcott, 23 Dec 1841

EDIT: Note that there's a Walcot and a Walcott  :o
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Meggiejayne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 16:35 BST (UK) »
There was a James HOLMES (son of William) married Sarah WRIGHT (dau of William) at Walcott, 23 Dec 1841

I'll have a look for him...I think I may have come across him before though...do we know his occupation as I know my James was definitely a farmer as cited in bastardy hearings.

Offline Meggiejayne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 17:33 BST (UK) »
Well I'm now not sure just which Walcot James comes from....in census returns it has single 't' and double 't'. Bastardy hearing has single 't'.

I'm assuming its the one near Billinghay as Sarah is from Coningbsy and her family trace back to Bilinghay.

Offline Meggiejayne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 19:34 BST (UK) »

EDIT: Note that there's a Walcot and a Walcott  :o

Think I have ruled out this James....I've found his birth entry and also census returns from 1851 through to 1871 and he is listed as a labourer/agricultural labourer as his occupation and I know from documents I have that my James was a farmer. In census return for the other James he is either farmer's son, farmer or late farmer. So I have to assume that I do have the right James.

However its just the anomaly of this John Holmes listed as a grandson and whether he belongs to James or his sister Elizabeth.

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 19:34 BST (UK) »
I suppose you know that Walcott was in Billinghay parish http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LIN/Billinghay

If this link doesn't work, go to FreeREG and search

https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_queries/58ed2108f493fd27b5460ee8

https://www.freereg.org.uk/

Offline Meggiejayne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 April 17 16:04 BST (UK) »
I suppose you know that Walcott was in Billinghay parish http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LIN/Billinghay

If this link doesn't work, go to FreeREG and search

https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_queries/58ed2108f493fd27b5460ee8

https://www.freereg.org.uk/

Yes thank you - now live just down the road in Sleaford so close by.

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 April 17 19:26 BST (UK) »
If you search on FreeREG, I think you may find the baptism you were looking for (1821).

Offline Meggiejayne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 April 17 15:54 BST (UK) »
If you search on FreeREG, I think you may find the baptism you were looking for (1821).

I have James' baptism - just now trying to find a baptism for John Holmes around 1859/1860 to make him a year old on the 1861 Census. Although I have found a possible link with the baptism of a John Holmes, parents Phineas and Sally (Sarah I have) Holmes. Phineas is James brother so this boy would be Elizabeth's grandson - just now looking for a death for Sarah (Phineas dies in about 1880 something) to explain why he's with his grandparents....could be visiting though I suppose.