Author Topic: Hadlands Yard Bicester  (Read 541 times)

Offline Suzy100

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hadlands Yard Bicester
« on: Tuesday 11 April 17 17:57 BST (UK) »
Does anyone either come from Bicester or can anyone help me with finding out about Hadlands Yard, Bicester.  I believe it is Market End.  It only seems to appear on census's and no where else.  My ancestors all seem to have lived there at some point.  I have tried the local History Society but have had not reply from them.

Many Thanks
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Ricketts
Browns
Fletcher
Statham
Baker

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hadlands Yard Bicester
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 21:31 BST (UK) »

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 21:44 BST (UK) »
If you look at addresses in the censuses either side of your family then I agree it would appear to be near Market Hill - so just a Yard off that road?

Or go to the front page of the enumerator's route to see where it fits also.

Offline Suzy100

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 April 17 09:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Chempat.  Yes I had seen the link when I was searching.  There were many Yards according to the front of the census.  But what I really wanted was a description from someone who maybe has local knowledge or what these Yards looked like etc.  Also where it was situated ecaxtly.  But I had not thought to look at the front page so thanks for that I can now search the other Yards to see if they give more clues.

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Ricketts
Browns
Fletcher
Statham
Baker

Offline edward matthews

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone either come from Bicester or can anyone help me with finding out about Hadlands Yard, Bicester.  I believe it is Market End.  It only seems to appear on census's and no where else.  My ancestors all seem to have lived there at some point.  I have tried the local History Society but have had not reply from them.

Many Thanks

Offline edward matthews

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 18:23 GMT (UK) »
I lived in Hadlands Yard as a young boy from 1942 to 1945. My mother was evacuated from London to Bicester and was taken in by Reg Clifton the Hairdresser. I was born in Chapel St Bicester in October 1941 and my mother Mrs Carrie Matthews then moved into Hadlands Yard where we lived to the end of the war. The 7 cottages all in a row, were I am told, were Jacobean and were 3 storeys high, one room above the other , 3 rooms in all, with no gas, electric or running water The only method of cooking and heat was from a range in the one downstairs room
Hadlands Yard is off Market Square and the entrance now is by Connells estate agents . The entrance is Brown painted with I think double doors. The cottages went into a derelict state after the war and I think were demolished in the late 50's.