Author Topic: Hadlands Yard Bicester  (Read 1197 times)

Offline Suzy100

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hadlands Yard Bicester
« on: Tuesday 11 April 17 17:57 BST (UK) »
Does anyone either come from Bicester or can anyone help me with finding out about Hadlands Yard, Bicester.  I believe it is Market End.  It only seems to appear on census's and no where else.  My ancestors all seem to have lived there at some point.  I have tried the local History Society but have had not reply from them.

Many Thanks
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Ricketts
Browns
Fletcher
Statham
Baker

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hadlands Yard Bicester
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 21:31 BST (UK) »

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 21:44 BST (UK) »
If you look at addresses in the censuses either side of your family then I agree it would appear to be near Market Hill - so just a Yard off that road?

Or go to the front page of the enumerator's route to see where it fits also.

Offline Suzy100

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 April 17 09:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Chempat.  Yes I had seen the link when I was searching.  There were many Yards according to the front of the census.  But what I really wanted was a description from someone who maybe has local knowledge or what these Yards looked like etc.  Also where it was situated ecaxtly.  But I had not thought to look at the front page so thanks for that I can now search the other Yards to see if they give more clues.

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Ricketts
Browns
Fletcher
Statham
Baker

Offline edward matthews

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone either come from Bicester or can anyone help me with finding out about Hadlands Yard, Bicester.  I believe it is Market End.  It only seems to appear on census's and no where else.  My ancestors all seem to have lived there at some point.  I have tried the local History Society but have had not reply from them.

Many Thanks

Offline edward matthews

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 18:23 GMT (UK) »
I lived in Hadlands Yard as a young boy from 1942 to 1945. My mother was evacuated from London to Bicester and was taken in by Reg Clifton the Hairdresser. I was born in Chapel St Bicester in October 1941 and my mother Mrs Carrie Matthews then moved into Hadlands Yard where we lived to the end of the war. The 7 cottages all in a row, were I am told, were Jacobean and were 3 storeys high, one room above the other , 3 rooms in all, with no gas, electric or running water The only method of cooking and heat was from a range in the one downstairs room
Hadlands Yard is off Market Square and the entrance now is by Connells estate agents . The entrance is Brown painted with I think double doors. The cottages went into a derelict state after the war and I think were demolished in the late 50's.