Author Topic: Patrick Brennan;died 23rd April 1914 in New York.  (Read 1909 times)

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Brennan;died 23rd April 1914 in New York.
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 16 April 19 00:45 BST (UK) »
I haven't read the thread thoroughly, but 1) Westmeath looks to be a long walk from Co. Carlow, 2) Katherine's oldest child in 1920 is 11, pointing to a marriage about 1908 or so, and 3) the Irish civil marriages for the time period exist and are pretty much all online if I understand right, but the US records are hit and miss for that time. Or they could have married in New Jersey and not be online at all.
Plus Patrick is not with his family in 1901, presumably emigrated, so not about to marry in Ireland in 1906.

If you're still working on them, I'd try to find their passenger records. If they said they were married on the manifest, even if not traveling together, that would settle it. If not, then you at least would have a date after which they married somewhere in the US.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 16 April 19 02:56 BST (UK) »
There are more NY City marriage records/indexes online now than when this question was first posed, and there are indexes for that time frame for New Jersey and New York state (other than NYC) now online.  Still not seeing any likely matches though.

Offline noland01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 16 April 19 10:42 BST (UK) »
Would have thought it shouldn't be too difficult to find their marriage but it seems to be.perhaps they married elsewhere in US before moving to Manhattan.
Am still convinced that I have the correct person ie the Patrick Brennan died 22nd April 1914 in Manhattan and married to Katherine Woods,daughter of Patrick Woods and Ellen Keegan,is "my" Patrick.
Headstone,memory card,death record etc are all too close to be a coincidence plus the fact that the parents names match exactly with my Patrick.
As an aside why were/are the deceased's parents names on the record?Same for Katherine.Is that usual practice?

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.Will perhaps wait and see if the other people with them in their tree's have some record of a marriage etc.
McDonnell McDonald Gorman Cronley Colman Deegan Dunne Maher Dempsey Conlon Griffin Bergin Lalor Keys Bonham Brennan Hart(Laois) Nolan Byrne O Byrne Brady Mullen Hanaway Brennan Keeffe Reddy (Carlow)
O'Neill Doyle Donnelly Devlin  (Tyrone) Connor, Burbidge,McNally (Dublin)Hannon McCarthy (Tipperary)Healy Miley Treacy (Wicklow)Kelly (Kildare)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 16 April 19 10:55 BST (UK) »
Yes, those death records have spaces for parents' names.  I would say most states/localities in the US asked for parents' names on vital records from the late 1800's or early 1900's on.