Author Topic: Death of Percy Clarence Wheeler  (Read 2440 times)

Offline Suzy100

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death of Percy Clarence Wheeler
« on: Friday 14 April 17 19:43 BST (UK) »
Hi I am trying to locate any information on Percy Clarence Wheeler, he was in Pentonville Prison for Housebreaking in 1928.  It does state he was born in 1900 in Caterham but I do not think this is right as my Percy Clarence Wheeler was born in 1902 in Fulham.  I am thinking it is the same person though as he had a child with his wife in 1927 a Christopher Wheeler and then disappears completely after this.  I cannot even find a death.  His wife Margery M Foward leaves him as she has a son by another man in 1929. 

What I am really interested in finding is the newspaper clipping relating to this court case or where I go to obtain more information on his stay in prison etc.  I have looked at National Archives but find them a little confusing to say the least.

Many Thanks
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Ricketts
Browns
Fletcher
Statham
Baker

Offline giggsycat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Percy Clarence Wheeler
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 April 17 20:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Suzy

Who was the Percy C Wheeler that married the year before your Percy married?

Marriages Sep 1923 

Powell    Ethel G    Wheeler    Edmonton    3a   1687    
Wheeler    Percy C    Powell    Edmonton    3a   1687

Giggsy

Offline giggsycat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 April 17 20:50 BST (UK) »
Or was that a first wife (a lot older)? Or a complete red herring!

Deaths Jun 1924   
Wheeler    Ethel G    41    Edmonton    3a   494

Offline Suzy100

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 April 17 21:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Giggsycat

That is Percy Cooper Wheeler.  I had looked at him.  I think there is another Percy C Wheeler as well but only one Percy Clarence as far as I can tell. :)
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Ricketts
Browns
Fletcher
Statham
Baker

Offline giggsycat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 April 17 21:04 BST (UK) »
I didn't think it would be that easy! ;D

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 April 17 22:04 BST (UK) »
Your Percy's parents, Alfred and Mildred, were in Caterham with Alfred's parents in 1901 - so perhaps the family link with that place explains the erroneous birthplace stated for Percy in his criminal record.

RG13/631/84/5.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Suzy100

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 April 17 07:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks avm228 that is great I did not link the two, even though I do have that census.  So it definitely is the same Percy which is what I thought, however I still want some more info on how to obtain more records from Pentonville and if there are more detailed records for inmates.  If anyone can direct me.

Ricketts
Browns
Fletcher
Statham
Baker

Offline Suzy100

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 20:25 BST (UK) »
Percy Clarence Wheeler was born on 7th December 1901 I have traced his rather criminal life thanks in part to some of Roots Chat followers.  However I am now at a lose to his death.   I just cannot find anything on when he died at all.  I ordered a certificate of a Percy Wheeler who died in Bromley but it turned out to be the wrong one.  It is feasible that he used a completely different name as he was arrested at one stage and used Arthur Albert Anderson, but i have even searched for deaths for this name but nothing jumps out.  I have printed out all deaths right up until he might have made 100 and gone through the list but still cannot find one that could be him.  I am well and truly stumped.  He did marry a Margery May Foward but they seperated.  Although when she died in 1995 on her death certificate was wife of Percy Clarence Wheeler (Retired), she died in Wales. 
Ricketts
Browns
Fletcher
Statham
Baker

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 20:32 BST (UK) »
wife of not widow of ?
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,