Author Topic: STEWART family, Skelmersdale with (?) Sampson, Heslip, McCulley, Nicoll links  (Read 776 times)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Hello folks.   :)

Not a board I usually have cause to visit and I'm not actually looking for help with research on the following as such (but if anyone spots any glaring mistakes, it would be great to know). Just hopeful that, someday, someone reading might recognise some of the following people and/or groupings.

Having followed a Thomas and Sarah (nee Donnelly) Stewart, who by 1911 were in Neston cum Parkgate, Cheshire with their children Maggie, Elizabeth, Ruth, Mary, James and Thomas, I now believe he, or at least his wife and children (the youngest born at Neston), ended up in Skelmersdale.

The 1939 Register has a Sarah Stewart, by then a widow, living at 30 Witham Road, Skelmersdale with adult children:

James J Stewart, Thomas Stewart and Mary Stewart.

A Mary Stewart m a John James Nicoll at St Paul's, Skelmersdale in 1942. This matches with the surname 'Nicoll' added to Mary's entry on the 1939 register.

Three other female Stewart's married in St Paul's, Skelmersdale in the 1919/1920s, and would seem to match with Mary's sisters from the 1911 (England) census. They were:

Maggie Stewart to Frederick Heslip in 1919 (living at 38 Witham Road, Skelmersdale in 1939)

Ruth Stewart to William Sampson   in 1924 (13 Manor Road, Ormskirk in 1939)

Elizabeth Stewart to Peter McCulley in 1927 (45 Clayton Street, Skelmersdale in 1939, minus Peter, who possibly (address now confirmed by Burial Register as same) died 1938)

So far, I haven't spotted any obvious marriages for the brothers, James and Thomas, and both die in West Lancashire in 1976 and 1982 respectively.

Whilst I realise that certificates for the above marriages should yield some further clues to help prove/disprove my thoughts, at the moment, the cost has ruled these out. Similarly with the above and the following deaths.

The father, Thomas, could be the Thomas Stewart who died in Ormskirk district in 1937, albeit the age at death of this chap is out by about 15yrs, is more likely, given age, to be the one who died at Wigan Hospital on 28/8/1935, with an address of 67 Summer Street, Skelmersdale (as since found in Burial Register). The mother, Sarah, could be the one who died in Ormskirk district in 1943. GRO website have the death indexed as Stewart, albeit FreeBMD have it indexed as Steward. Certainly, having now checked Burial Register, this death was the Sarah Stewart of 30 Witham Street, and she died on 23/7/1943.

I'm not looking for help with research on the family prior to 1911 either, as I already have most of that, although I do still need to check the exact birth dates of some of the Scottish born children (when I next have spare SP credits), but with some credits I had spare at moment, I checked James Joseph Stewart's birth, and the date matches exactly the James J Stewart (middle name not recorded in full) at 30 Witham Road in 1939, and in turn matches the James Joseph Stewart death in 1976.

I've found a number of children to the Heslip, Sampson and McCulley marriages (and in turn marriages of some of those children), but as dates mean some could still be living, I haven't listed any here.

Anyhow, thanks for reading this far. Basically, I just wanted to get my thoughts down in one place and leave a 'record' in the hope that, as I indicated at the start, someday, something might make sense to someone reading and they recognise some/any of the various groupings above (even if it is to disagree with my thoughts and prove some are from different Stewart families entirely). Obviously, as living persons can't be discussed on the forum, I'd be happy for anyone to PM me if they need to.

Thomas was a sibling in a line I have researched for numerous years (through Ireland, Scotland and England see http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=560572.0 for some background), and it would be great to someday make contact with any of his descendants.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: STEWART family, Skelmersdale with (?) Sampson, Heslip, McCulley, Nicoll links
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 April 17 23:21 BST (UK) »
Forgot to say, in case anyone was wondering, the (?) in the subject heading was to represent 'potential', as I didn't have enough space to fit the word in.  ;)

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: STEWART family, Skelmersdale with (?) Sampson, Heslip, McCulley, Nicoll links
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 April 17 09:07 BST (UK) »
Update to above.

Have just found a later list in the Burial Register for Skelmersdale, that notes where plots are and who is in them. This confirms the Thomas Stewart of the 1935 death (albeit discrepancy in date) and the Sarah Stewart of the 1943 death, are in the same grave. It also confirms Joseph Stewart of the 1976 death is in the grave too.

Offline Ormskirk1

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 December 20 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello folks.   :)

Not a board I usually have cause to visit and I'm not actually looking for help with research on the following as such (but if anyone spots any glaring mistakes, it would be great to know). Just hopeful that, someday, someone reading might recognise some of the following people and/or groupings.

Having followed a Thomas and Sarah (nee Donnelly) Stewart, who by 1911 were in Neston cum Parkgate, Cheshire with their children Maggie, Elizabeth, Ruth, Mary, James and Thomas, I now believe he, or at least his wife and children (the youngest born at Neston), ended up in Skelmersdale.

The 1939 Register has a Sarah Stewart, by then a widow, living at 30 Witham Road, Skelmersdale with adult children:

James J Stewart, Thomas Stewart and Mary Stewart.

A Mary Stewart m a John James Nicoll at St Paul's, Skelmersdale in 1942. This matches with the surname 'Nicoll' added to Mary's entry on the 1939 register.

Three other female Stewart's married in St Paul's, Skelmersdale in the 1919/1920s, and would seem to match with Mary's sisters from the 1911 (England) census. They were:

Maggie Stewart to Frederick Heslip in 1919 (living at 38 Witham Road, Skelmersdale in 1939)

Ruth Stewart to William Sampson   in 1924 (13 Manor Road, Ormskirk in 1939)

Elizabeth Stewart to Peter McCulley in 1927 (45 Clayton Street, Skelmersdale in 1939, minus Peter, who possibly (address now confirmed by Burial Register as same) died 1938)

So far, I haven't spotted any obvious marriages for the brothers, James and Thomas, and both die in West Lancashire in 1976 and 1982 respectively.

Whilst I realise that certificates for the above marriages should yield some further clues to help prove/disprove my thoughts, at the moment, the cost has ruled these out. Similarly with the above and the following deaths.

The father, Thomas, could be the Thomas Stewart who died in Ormskirk district in 1937, albeit the age at death of this chap is out by about 15yrs, is more likely, given age, to be the one who died at Wigan Hospital on 28/8/1935, with an address of 67 Summer Street, Skelmersdale (as since found in Burial Register). The mother, Sarah, could be the one who died in Ormskirk district in 1943. GRO website have the death indexed as Stewart, albeit FreeBMD have it indexed as Steward. Certainly, having now checked Burial Register, this death was the Sarah Stewart of 30 Witham Street, and she died on 23/7/1943.

I'm not looking for help with research on the family prior to 1911 either, as I already have most of that, although I do still need to check the exact birth dates of some of the Scottish born children (when I next have spare SP credits), but with some credits I had spare at moment, I checked James Joseph Stewart's birth, and the date matches exactly the James J Stewart (middle name not recorded in full) at 30 Witham Road in 1939, and in turn matches the James Joseph Stewart death in 1976.

I've found a number of children to the Heslip, Sampson and McCulley marriages (and in turn marriages of some of those children), but as dates mean some could still be living, I haven't listed any here.

Anyhow, thanks for reading this far. Basically, I just wanted to get my thoughts down in one place and leave a 'record' in the hope that, as I indicated at the start, someday, something might make sense to someone reading and they recognise some/any of the various groupings above (even if it is to disagree with my thoughts and prove some are from different Stewart families entirely). Obviously, as living persons can't be discussed on the forum, I'd be happy for anyone to PM me if they need to.

Thomas was a sibling in a line I have researched for numerous years (through Ireland, Scotland and England see http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=560572.0 for some background), and it would be great to someday make contact with any of his descendants.

Hello I know this is late  .. but Maggie and Fredrick were my grandparents