Author Topic: Beccles parish - FLINT  (Read 1742 times)

Offline Dyingout

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father Charles in his hockey playing days
    • View Profile
Re: Beccles parish - FLINT
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 15 April 17 22:53 BST (UK) »
Carole
The tree that you say is wrong is mine
The reason that Lewis was born illegitimately, was that Jonathan was incarcerated in a prison hulk and then transported to Australia in 1926.
He went on to be pardoned, remarried and died in Yass NSW in 1876
Verified by a member of his Australian family

Regards Nigel
Dow/Dowe Norfolk and Suffolk
Mulley/Wilden Suffolk
Loome/lombe Norfolk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 15 April 17 23:14 BST (UK) »
I wasn't referring to Lewis - my comments were as follows and refer to Mary Goldspink nee Flint

One has her death before 1832 whilst others show her date of death as 4.12.1876 Ipswich having remarried to an Adam Beales.  No death in 1876 under either surname

The same tree is very inaccurate.  It shows Johnathon Goldspink b 1807 died 1876 suspect that should be 1832
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Dyingout

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 15 April 17 23:17 BST (UK) »
Carole reread what was written Johnathan was transported to AUSTRALIA
Mulley/Wilden Suffolk
Loome/lombe Norfolk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 15 April 17 23:19 BST (UK) »
From the trees

Mary Flint was born in 1807 in Halesworth, Suffolk. She married Jonathon Goldspink on 11 November 1823 in Fressingfield, Suffolk. They had two children during their marriage. She died as a young mother in 1832 at the age of 25.

Mary Flint was born in 1807 in Holton, Suffolk. She married Jonathan Goldspink and they had two children together. She then married adam beales and they had two children together. She died on 4 December 1876 at the age of 69.

Mary Flint married Jonathan Goldspink in Fressingfield, Suffolk, on 11 November 1823 when she was 16 years old.

When Jonathan Goldspink was born on 3 May 1807 in Norfolk, his father, John, was 42 and his mother, Jemima, was 39. He married Mary Flint and they had two children together. He then married Margaret Reid and they had 15 children together. He died on 12 April 1876 in Yass, New South Wales, at the age of 68.
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 15 April 17 23:22 BST (UK) »
There are 31 trees for this couple on Ancestry - info taken from the first 3 or 4 shown.  Impossible to read and compare every one.  Which name is yours under?

Offline Dyingout

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 15 April 17 23:45 BST (UK) »
N&B tree & NDowe

Also spafrench's tree has the same information.  Which was verified by one of the relatives of Johnathan in Australia
So, Please don't jump to conclusions that the tree is wrong
Mulley/Wilden Suffolk
Loome/lombe Norfolk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 16 April 17 01:08 BST (UK) »
The tree that you say is wrong is mine

Your tree is 20th and N Dowe 23rd on the list of 31 as presented on Ancestry.  As stated - it was impossible to look at and compare every one so yours was not the tree I was referring to.

If you look at my earlier reply which contains extracts from the first couple of those trees the information is incorrect.  Mary did not die at age 25 in 1832 as she married Adam Beales  in 1833. 

The Norman tree says Johnathan Goldspink was on the 1861 census aged 54 and  living in Norfolk??

Residence
Johnathan GOLDSPINK lived in Norfolk in 1861.

1861 • Pulham St Mary the Virgin, Norfolk, England

It also says that Mary had 2 children by Johnathan in 1824 and 1827 but goes on to show him convicted in 1825 and arriving in Australia in 1826 aged 19.  As he was presumably in custody from 1825 - how did he father a child born in 1827?

Are you able to find a death for Mary Beales in December 1876 as stated on several trees as I can’t?  No mention of any further re-marriage after Adam died in 1856 and nothing on freebmd

So no conclusions were jumped to - the trees I looked at did contain inaccuracies.

There are 2 Mary Beales born 1807 or thereabouts.  One b Beccles and the other b Holton.  Mary Beales (Goldspink) cannot be found 1861/1871 so I suspect she died earlier than 1876

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 16 April 17 02:19 BST (UK) »
The Mary Beales born Beccles had niece and nephew John and Mary Ann Underwood with her in 1861.

As already mentioned this Mary Beales born Beccles is living with her sister (Elizabeth Gay, widow) in 1851 together with above John and Mary Ann Underwood plus presumably a siblings of theirs named Elizabeth when 'your' Mary Beales b.Holton was with her husband Adam.

These are 2 different Mary Beales

John and Mary Ann Underwoods births on GRO site show their mothers maiden name was Pointer and found a marriage of a John Underwood to a Fanny Pointer 15/12/1835 Lakenham, Norfolk.   Likewise, Elizabeth Pointer married Ric. Gay 1/10/1815 Norwich and Mary Pointer spinster married Robert Beales widr. 18/7/1836 Norwich.

No Flint baptisms between 1790 and 1815 in Beccles at all - however the 3 ladies above were indeed all born in Beccles:

Elizabeth 1793
Mary 1806
Fanny 1809 - all daughters of Robert and Elizabeth.

So, the last census your Mary Beales appears on in that name is in 1851 with husband Adam.  Cannot see a likely remarriage so she could be the Mary Beales who died Mar.qtr.1860 Norwich aged 57.

As she states she was born in Holton in 1851 census I would think she probably was the Mary Flint bp.19/12/1801 Holton, dau. of Sarah.   Since her husband was a few years younger than her she may well have knocked a few years of her age.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 16 April 17 03:07 BST (UK) »
Hi the Mary Beales who died March qtr 1860 Norwich, could be the burial of the Mary BALES address Catton, Norwich who was buried 22nd March 1860 aged 57 Pulham St Mary Magdalene, alias Pulham Market.
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk