Author Topic: Who would benefit from these war books/photos  (Read 2953 times)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Who would benefit from these war books/photos
« on: Saturday 15 April 17 22:41 BST (UK) »
A friend was recently widowed and in conversation she mentioned that her husband had a number of albums of photos he had taken of ?? war graves around the country.  He also had a collection of books "all things war" as she put it.

She travelled a lot for her work and he accompanied her.  He would then go off to whatever cemetery was in the area and spend time taking photos. 

She doesn't know what to do with the albums/books but has no desire to keep them as they have no interest for her.

I haven't actually seen any of the albums or books so am unsure of the exact nature of the photos but as his interest was in the war - I am pretty sure the photos would only be of war graves

If anybody has any ideas or interest - could you pm me and I will ask her for further details
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Who would benefit from these war books/photos
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 April 17 22:48 BST (UK) »
Carole,

It may be an idea to state which area of the country these are in to give people an idea in case anyone is interested regarding a pick-up point or even postage?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 April 17 22:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol  :) it would be a lovely project for someone who was interested, to do research into the people in the war graves.

As Annie has said, it may be useful to state the areas in which the photographs were taken.

At the moment (just for my own interest) I am researching local lads from my town who died in the first world war.

Frank  :)
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 April 17 23:28 BST (UK) »
As far as I am aware - all over England mainly but they also visited Scotland so there may be some from there.  Knowing her husband - they will be meticulously catalogued

I will try and get some more details from her after the Easter weekend
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 April 17 23:32 BST (UK) »
Carole is it worth posting the information on the Armed Forces section of RC?
Someone there might have an idea what to do with them once you've got more details from your friend.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 April 17 23:42 BST (UK) »
That seems like a good idea.  I will ask the mod to move this post when I am able to give more details next week.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 April 17 00:03 BST (UK) »
As Annie has said, it may be useful to state the areas in which the photographs were taken.

Sorry for confusion,

I meant the area of where the items are at the moment for a collection point or to calculate postage.

E.G. If I was interested & the items were in Birmingham then I wouldn't need to enquire any further as it wouldn't be accessible for me.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 April 17 00:15 BST (UK) »

Sorry for confusion,

I meant the area of where the items are at the moment for a collection point or to calculate postage.

E.G. If I was interested & the items were in Birmingham then I wouldn't need to enquire any further as it wouldn't be accessible for me.

Annie

Hi, no worries Annie, I read it wrong  ;D ;)

Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 April 17 00:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie

The location of the albums/books is Lytham St Annes - Lancashire