Author Topic: Phoebe Ellen Ferniough born around 1843/44 who was her mother?  (Read 2502 times)

Offline timmis1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Phoebe Ellen Ferniough born around 1843/44 who was her mother?
« on: Sunday 16 April 17 10:19 BST (UK) »

I have asked about her twice before on RootsChat (links below) in 2014 & 2015
I thought I would put it out to this forum in case anyone has any new ideas.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=717223.0
http://www.rootschat.com/gorum/inex.php?topic=680593.18

It is also on the Staffordshire one at the moment http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=769526.new;topicseen#new

Just to recap her life events

Census 1851 Colshaw Hollingsclough with Helen Lomas (Pheobe aged 7)
Census 1861   Colshaw Hollingsclough with Helen Lomas (Pheobe aged 17)
Census  1871  Colshaw Hollingsclough with Helen Lomas
Census 1881 Winterside Hollingsclough
Census 1891 Hope Cottage
1901 Chapel en le Frith
1911 School House Burbage (visitor) to Urban & Mary Jane Flander

1st Marriage 1864 Earl Standon Derbyshire to Isaac Wain
2nd Marriage 1879 Burbage to William Bennet

Her children are Ann 1865      from Isaac Wain
         Fredrick 1869, Ellen 1872, Ernest 1874 (unknown fathers)
John 1882, George 1883, William 1889 from William Bennet

From the information above I estimate that she was born 1843/44/45 (she was 20 at her 1st marriage in 1864

In the censuses she says she is born in Leek sometimes she just has Derbys (I presume for Derbyshire)

Since the last request I have bought Pheobe`s1st marriage certificate, there is no entry for her father and the witness are Joseph Goodwin & Harriet Wain(both her husbands relatives)
She also does not provide her fathers name on her second marriage.
I have also had  Staffordshire Archives to check to see if she was born in a Staffordshire workhouse, they could find no record. They also checked the BTs for Hartington & Earl Sterndale 1840 – 1850 but without success

Perhaps if she is the witness at some one else's wedding this could prove a link with a relative but I have not found anything like that yet.
Any ideas on how to connect her with some relative would be welcome, I was thinking there must be some other official records that she could be on

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We are who we are because they were who they were
    • View Profile
Re: Phoebe Ellen Ferniough born around 1843/44 who was her mother?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 19:39 BST (UK) »
This is a really tough nut to crack, I can't find any sign of Phoebe anywhere, or anything to tie her to the Lomas family.  So, just a few random thoughts and findings.

As well as not being able to find anything on Phoebe, I can't find anything on Arthur Francis who was also in the household for the 1851 census, as a 5 month old baby, born Leek.  I wonder if he was in the household on the same basis as Phoebe, whatever that was?

There is a plethora of Lomas people in the area and it is hard to see how they all fit together.  Some of them were non conformists.

A John Lomas successfully represented the interests of hawkers and pedlars before the House of Commons in 1785 and later became a lay preacher.  The Methodist Chapel at Hollinsclough was built in his garden, taking four years, completed in 1801 and costing £365.

www.derbyshireramblers.org.uk/Hollinsclough
Although people have always farmed here, they have had to supplement their income in different ways (ie, the silk weaving). The village men used to mine calamine from Chrome. The lumps of ore were taken down to Cheadle and used to make brass.The Chapel was built in 1801 by John Lomas. He was a pedlar and tinker by trade (respectable in those times) dealing in “Manchester goods” such as clothing but chiefly transporting the local silk to mills at Macclesfield. It is the only chapel still open in the former Wetton and Longnor Methodist Circuit and celebrated its bicentenary at Easter 2001. There is a memorial plaque to John Lomas over the door of the Chapel. He lived in the cottage on the right.In 1840 Sir George Crewe rebuilt a barn as a church and a school. The church was licensed in 1841 and named St.Agnes in 1906. Regular services were last held apparently in 1956 and the church was closed in 1966, later becoming a residential field centre.

In the early 19th century Hollingsclough was on the silk route to Macclesfield and was a local centre of silk weaving and button making.

24/12/1848 (familysearch) Phoebe Ferneyhough, Macclesfield Sunday School.

Possible connection with Chapel en le Frith?  George Lomas there in 1841 and Phoebe there in 1901.

Fernihough is a rare surname (click on text on P7)

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=eKOBrthJKFQC&pg=PA7&lpg=PA7&dq=google+book+surnames+dna+and+family+history+fernihough&source=bl&ots=HB6_K-OQVV&sig=51GGuaxYFtGCCZTd8uMbhJDfgu0&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjZxdCbr67TAhVoBMAKHRXOB6MQ6AEIQzAD#v=onepage&q=fernihough&f=false

It is possible that Phoebe Fernyhough is there in plain sight, but hidden by particularly dreadful spelling!

Derbys: Ward, Hopkinson, Bradley, Birds, Clarke, Taylor, Daykin, Gent, Vardy, Cotterill, Stocks, Godber, Dronfield, Charlesworth, Bonsall, Purseglove
Notts: Clarke, Freeman, Kitchen, Allcock, Housley, Swanwick, Berrisford, Farnsworth, Antcliffe
Staffs: Nutt, Bowring
Yorks: Holling, Fish, Kay, Hardy
Lincs: Plummer, Broughton, Wellbourne

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 21:44 BST (UK) »
Another one?

Longnor St Barts bpt 1868-1881
Ellen dau Phebe Ellen Wain Moorside wid 20/6/1875

http://www.hollinsclough.org.uk/longnorparishregister14.htm
Derbys: Ward, Hopkinson, Bradley, Birds, Clarke, Taylor, Daykin, Gent, Vardy, Cotterill, Stocks, Godber, Dronfield, Charlesworth, Bonsall, Purseglove
Notts: Clarke, Freeman, Kitchen, Allcock, Housley, Swanwick, Berrisford, Farnsworth, Antcliffe

Offline timmis1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Designer

Thank you so much for all of that information, very interesting and with respect to your second post I think that this one is her daughter.

Allegedly Ferniough is a common name in North Staffs so some one said but not for the rest of the country.

I bet you might have a point that Pheobe Ellen is hidden under some form of miss spelling.

Thanks for your efforts.

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile

Offline timmis1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 20:06 BST (UK) »
That would be interesting  Designer, do you mean these children were possibly  waifs & strains and we're fostered by church people?
I don`t know if the parishes did that under the poor law?
Mind by the time of Phoebe`s birth I think that  the  poor  law had been replaced by the workhouses?
Mind when I contacted Staffordshire  Archives  see if Phoebe  was born in the workhouse they didn't  say by the way we have some records of fostering at that time

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 April 17 07:28 BST (UK) »
Using the new GRO register there is a Phebe Fernihough born 1842, J Quarter Newcastle under Lime Registration District Vol 17 page 91 mothers maiden name Barnett.

Added  1841, Phoebe Ann Fernihough  registration district Cheadle, D Quarter vol 17 page 46 mother maiden name  Fernihough.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 April 17 07:40 BST (UK) »
This one would make her too young for the census and first marriage.
Phebe Ellen Ferneyhough registered Newcastle under Lime, J Quarter 1849 vol.17 page 122, mothers maiden name Craddock.

Offline middlesbrough

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 April 17 08:11 BST (UK) »
This is a possibility
Phebe Ellen Ferneyhough
Reg Dist Newcastle Under Lyme, Staffordshire
Vol 17 Page 22 Line no 15
April May June 1849