Author Topic: Mrs Alice Willis missing after 1901  (Read 2302 times)

Offline Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mrs Alice Willis missing after 1901
« on: Sunday 16 April 17 17:13 BST (UK) »
I’m looking for Alice Stammers, born Oct qtr 1880 Camberwell to Alfred Stammers & Ann Amelia Lever. I have her until 1901 and then I lose her.
Jan qtr 1899 Alice has a daughter Caroline Alice Stammers in Grantham, Lincolnshire.
24th December 1900 Alice marries James Henry Willis, her address given as 11 Springfield (Grantham)
1901 Alice is a visitor at 11 Springfield with her daughter but no husband. I can’t find him in 1901 so don’t know where they lived after the marriage.
Head of household at No. 11 was Caroline Lever, Alice’s auntie. Alice was 6 months pregnant and gave birth at No. 11 in June to a son. Son’s father was informant .
1911 Husband and son at 12 Springfield (his family home) with his mother and other family members but no Alice. Husband listed as married 10 years with one child so Alice is likely still alive.
Alice’s daughter is in Barkingside Barnado’s Home in Ilford and leaves for Canada at the end of June with a group of Barnado girls to be domestics.
1911 can’t find Alice.
Electoral rolls for 1931/32 Grantham have husband’s family unit but no Alice.
1939 as 1931/32, he is listed as married (no second marriage) but I realise if she moved away he may not know if she died.
Can’t find a 1939 entry or death that I can say is her for sure.
I’ve run out of ideas, can anyone help?
Thanks

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Mrs Alice Willis missing after 1901
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 April 17 19:43 BST (UK) »
Alice’s daughter is in Barkingside Barnado’s Home in Ilford and leaves for Canada at the end of June with a group of Barnado girls to be domestics.

This suggests that Alice has either died or abandoned her daughter. Is it possible to get records from the Barnardo's Home, that might give you information about her mother.

http://www.barnardos.org.uk/what_we_do/our_history/working_with_former_barnardos_children/family_history_service/family_history_service_our_service.htm

Not cheap though!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 April 17 21:14 BST (UK) »
A very long shot, but searching the 1911 just by initials brings up a 30-year-old married female, formerly housewife, as a patient in a lunatic asylum.  No birthplace given, but the institution is within 15 miles of Camberwell.

Incidentally, do you have Alice's hospital admission from June 1891?
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 April 17 21:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Groom for replying. I have been in touch with Barnados in Canada and they offered a free search  with an unspecified charge for the information. I know they have something because they used the information that Alice had married in 1900
and I didn’t tell them that so it must have come from their files. I haven’t contacted them in England yet. I’m going to post on another board for any info on Caroline in Canada, her marriage etc. Thanks again

Jomot Thanks for the info, I’m going to search for the asylum, and no I don’t know about the hospital admission, please tell me, thanks
                                                                    Comberton

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 April 17 23:13 BST (UK) »
Evelina Hospital, Southwark
Alice Stammers, Female, aged 10
Admitted: 5 June 1891
Residence: 35, Harris St., Camberwell, London
Admitting Doctor: Mr Makins
Admitted for: Cervical Caries
Duration of illness: 12 mos.
Treatment:  Tonics. Cervical support
Outcome: Cured
Date of discharge: 17 Jul 1891

The record has an added (modern) note which describes Cervical Caries as "decay of bones in neck (19thC)", although when I googled it the results were predominantly to do with teeth  :-\

I don't see Alice at the Harris Street address in the 1891 census but there is a George & Elizabeth Laver & family at No 9, so I wondered if this should have been Lever?
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 April 17 00:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Jomot, it is my Alice. The family must have moved to 35 soon after the census because Alice’s father died at that address in October.
I don’t have the 1891 entry for Alice and her family  but I’ll keep looking.
Where did you find the hospital entry? It’s a bonus I was not expecting.
Not sure about the folks at No. 9. Thanks again
                                                            Comberton

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 April 17 00:17 BST (UK) »
The admission record is on the Historic Hospital Admission Records Project.  You have to register to see the full information, but there is no cost.  Under the Historical Background tab you'll also find some great information about the Evelina Hospital.

http://hharp.org/

Offline Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 April 17 00:42 BST (UK) »
Thank You

Offline Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 22:20 BST (UK) »
Sent for some certificates. Alice born 13th October 1880 14 Basing Place, Peckham
as 1881 census. Nothing on 1939 register fits, probably died before 1939.
Death certificate for her auntie Caroline Lever gives informant as coroner after an inquest. She was still resident at 11 Springfield but died at another address.
                                      Comberton