Author Topic: Philip Henry Hammer arrived Melbourne 1854 on "Golden Era"  (Read 975 times)

Offline Lazarus

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Philip Henry Hammer arrived Melbourne 1854 on "Golden Era"
« on: Monday 17 April 17 04:52 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace the movements of Philip Henry Hammer b 1834 St Austell Cornwall.
He came to Melbourne in 1854 on "Golden Era" with his brothers John and William.
I believe he returned to UK Feb 1858 on "Invincible".
Can anyone please locate him during his stay in Australia ?His son suggested his father had success during the gold rush enabling him to buy a farm on his return.
He married Jane Opie 1862 in St Austell.
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline Lazarus

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Philip Henry Hammer arrived Melbourne 1854 on "Golden Era"
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 April 17 11:34 BST (UK) »
A quotation from “The Hammers of Towan”

http://www.sueappleby.com/reviews

"Based around the life and times of  Philip Henry HAMMER (1834-1904) of Charlestown, this is a tale of fortune found in the Ballarat gold rush and the subsequent elevation of a miner into a tenant farmer and miller on his return to Cornwall.

I had guessed he was in Ballarat. ?1854>
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.