Author Topic: Background of Wm Hood, Corn Factor of Bristol - 1821 Buried Non-Quaker, please?  (Read 6423 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Hello

I am interested in any further information please, religious, family, property, background and if a Will exists, regarding William Hood of Bristol, a Corn Factor, dying at the Fish Ponds, Gloucestershire and buried 1821 aged 65, who was not a Quaker?

This thread is not for the Quaker section of Rootschat.

This is what I know so far about William Hood:-

Quakers Burial Note (not attached)

States:-
Not a Member

To Mary Thomas Grave-Maker.
The 26th Day of the 1st Month, 1821
Make a Grave on or before next First Day, in Friends'
Burying-Ground, at or near The Friers
and therin lay the Body of William Hood, of the Broad Wear
Peters Parish in the City of Bristol
Corn factor aged about sixty five Years
who died the Twenty fourth Day
of the First Month, One Thousand Eight Hundred and Twenty one
at the Fish Ponds in the County of Gloucester.

Signed Jeffery Wallis

The body of the above-mentioned was buried the Twenty Eighth
Day of the first Month, 1821

Witness George Thomas for Mary Thomas Grave-Maker.

[Friers spelt Friars in the Register]
[Broad Wear spelt Broad Weir in the Register]

The burial records confirm William Hood was not a Quaker Member and as the Church have not buried William Hood, I am also interested in what Non-conformist / Dissenting faith William Hood belonged to.

My family is Hood and I've been stuck (for 18 years) with unconfirmed suggestions, in Selby Yorkshire with a George Hood, aged 60 years, in business (as Brewers and Maltsters, and Tanners) and also buried as a Non-Quaker at the Selby Friends Quaker Burial Ground in September 1845 (my 4 X Gt. Grandfather).

Hence, my interest at anything you can dig up about this William Hood, Corn Factor / Merchant of Bristol, dying at the Fish Ponds Gloucestershire, early 1821?

Thank you for any help.

Regards Mark

Register Entry attached

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Bristol Mirror 3rd February 1821.

Also in the Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette, 8th February 1821 and
Cheltenham Chronicle, 15 February 1821.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Possible marriage & children

William Hood mar. Sarah Beaufey 30 April 1801.

Children:
William Gibbons Hood bpt. 1802
Elizabeth Beaufey H. bpt 1804
John Acreman H. bpt.1811
Edward bn 1814/5
Edward and George Liddel H. bpt.1817
Henry Charles born 1819
Leonora Sarah born 1820 last two children baptised 1825

Sarah ( Ind) is in the 1841 Census in Bristol with the children.

There are a family of Hoods from prior research in Wiltshire which isn't too far away.

There is an Apprenticeship record for a William Hood ( apprentice) as a baker in 1770 Seend, master: Thomas Lucas

EDIT: I will leave that marriage and children in the post incase they maybe related but the WILLIAM HOOD who married Sarah Beaufey died in America 1837.

Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
Usually for a non-Quaker to be buried in a Friends Burial Ground there would be some family connection, but I can't see any in Bristol. However, the Friars Burial Gound is only yards from Broad Weir, so maybe he had a connection. I can't see a will in Bristol or Gloucestershire either; I did wonder if it may have been a suicide as burial in an Anglican cemetery might be refused and I think Quakers have always taken a more compassionate line. There is nothing in newspapers online to suggest that though. Fishponds was a village outside Bristol then, more of a suburb now,

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Thank you Claire and Steve

My 4 X Gt. Grandfather buried as a Non-Quaker by them, died of heart disease certified 18 months on the Death Certificate.

However, I'm not really after speculative causes of death, except to say that Quakers were known to have links with Independents (& dissenting faiths).

I do accept a surviving Inquest if there was one, may give relatives (next of kin), but have any Bristol researchers come across them at the local Archives, or University, for 1821, which might not be online yet?

William Hood was not a Quaker himself, so I am interested in any general information, regarding local Bristol non-conformist religion (Baptist, Independent, Methodist, Wesleyan, Presbyterian)?

William Hood may have been a local dissenting Preacher, perhaps upsetting the Parish Church?
(This was going on in Selby, I've discovered, my George Hood had business ties, with persons prosecuted for refusing to pay the Church Rates, for Church repairs).

Sometimes a local Directory or History of Bristol with a Directory exists on the internet for free download, naming the businesses (hopefully around 1810 - 1820), which can give good general background info re surnames and somtimes family links. (I've got 1791 Universal British Directory, for commerce, but local ones are usually more detailed).

I was hoping someone may have researched Bristol businesses and commerce?

Are these places mentioned in my first post, near the docks, or a wharf, or inland canal, waterway?

So far I've only found a William Hood, ship owner.

Thank you

Regards Mark

My knowledge of Bristol, is Changing trains at Bristol Temple Meads and the famous Clifton suspension bridge.

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
Hi Mark,

Both Broad Weir and Fishponds lie on the river Frome which joins the Avon in Bristol. I don't think it would have been navigable as far north as Fishponds however. Broad Weir was a prestigious address earlier in the 18th century and may well still have been in the 1820s. The docks in Bristol lay a half mile or more away in the south west if the city. I will send a near contemporary map if you wish to send me a pm. giving your email address.

It might be worth getting in touch with Bristol Record Office for details of directories and nonconformist records. Fishponds was quite small in those days but it was the site of the largest lunatic asylum outside of London,

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Thanks Steve

Managed to find two companies at Bristol with Hood in their names ...

WASON, HOOD & Co.
(James Wason and William Hood)
According to a book online James Wason, William Hood and Joseph Walter, Accountant, were Ship owners.

KIDDELL, HOOD & Co.
George Kiddell Hood (Death notice, Western Daily Press, June 1864) was the son of the late Mr William Hood, Merchant.

Just need to find something on William Hood, Corn Factor.

Regards Mark

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi Mark,

I'm not sure what records you've already checked, but the Bristol Poll Book for 1812 has nothing listed for Hood.  Also nothing in the Bristol Guide & Directory 1793/4.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Kiddell, Hood and co. = This is something to do with the family in my first post ~ note the son George LIDDEL Hood bn 1817, another transcription has his name as George Kiddell Hood ~ I think his fathers Will is on Anc* ~~ died 1837 ~ I know I have read it before.
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk