Author Topic: Background of Wm Hood, Corn Factor of Bristol - 1821 Buried Non-Quaker, please?  (Read 6469 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Background of Wm Hood, Corn Factor of Bristol - 1821 Buried Non-Quaker, please?
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 01:48 BST (UK) »

The name "Kiddell" appears to be from George Eveleigh Kiddell who died in Bristol in 1842 aged 71 and was co-owner of the Hassan, the Waterloo & others with William Hood & James Wason.  The 1841 census shows his PoB as Ireland.

George Eveleigh Kiddell was the executor of the 1798 estate of Benjamin Kiddell of Charleston, South Carolina.  The estate value was £6,491 17s 11d, although the inventory & a subsequent Bill of Sale makes unsettling reading. 

ADDED: Benjamin & Elizabeth Kiddell were baptising children in the Lewins Mead Presbyterian Chapel, Bristol in the 1770's.

Hi Jomot

Your addition, regarding the baptising of the Kiddell's children in the Presbyterian Chapel is most interesting.

I have read in an old US book, that US Quakers buried a Non-Quaker, who was a Presbyterian Minister.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_Scotland
Protestant - Presbyterian

John Calvin (Calvinism)
 --------------

believe our Hoods originated in Scotland.

--------------

Quakers, the Society of Friends burying Non-Quakers, I believe would likely indicate that the deceased had NO allegiance to the Church of England / Anglican.

Regards Mark

Hello All

My Hood saga has got a whole lot more interesting earlier this evening!

With the photos of a few Hull Muster Rolls, Claire has been searching Wills of persons linked etc., and I have been searching for information on the other Masters and the Owners of the Vessels sailed by John Hood of Selby (born Scarborough) Mariner, out of Hull.

A John HOOD and Martha DEAN, published Banns at St Mary's Scarborough in August 1781, but didn't marry there after the last Banns date (marriage missing).

John Hood sailed the Industry a Coaster out of Hull, 1781 to 1784 and then mixed sailings various owners, including Dean up to 1787.

The owner of the Vessel Industry and three other Sloops was John Dean a Cheesemonger, who died in December 1787.

When Dean's Son and Heir put the Four Sloops trading from Hull up for sale, they were advertised with Dean's House and a Calvinist Chapel at Gainsborough.

I need to try and find out if John Hood and Martha Dean got together and produced my ancestor George Hood?

It seems John Hood of Selby, Mariner, definitely had Nonconformist connections 1781 onward, with his Selby Landlord (also occupier of the Presbyterian Chapel) and now John DEAN the Owner of the boat John Hood was sailing, also owned the Calvinist Meeting House with his own House.

Mark