Author Topic: Background of Wm Hood, Corn Factor of Bristol - 1821 Buried Non-Quaker, please?  (Read 6422 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Hi Mark,

I'm not sure what records you've already checked, but the Bristol Poll Book for 1812 has nothing listed for Hood.  Also nothing in the Bristol Guide & Directory 1793/4.

Hi Jomot

Thank you.

A Poll Book around this period usually only lists people who were property owners. Property ownership entitled you to vote.

I wonder if the Bristol Guide & Directory was a subscription type, where you had to pay to be included.

This William Hood of Bristol, Corn Factor, of interest, was buried in 1821 by the Quakers as a Non Member, just like my George Hood of Selby was, so I had to consider him as a possible relative (Father, or Uncle).

Thanks Claire

I'll download that Will, even if only for elimination.

Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Background of Wm Hood, Corn Factor of Bristol - 1821 Buried Non-Quaker, please?
« Reply #10 on: Monday 17 April 17 21:40 BST (UK) »
If Kiddell and Hood are related.

I wonder if James Wason, William Hood or Joseph Walter, Accountant, are related?

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Background of Wm Hood, Corn Factor of Bristol - 1821 Buried Non-Quaker, please?
« Reply #11 on: Monday 17 April 17 21:44 BST (UK) »
This from the Bristol Mirror 30 October 1819 may be of interest.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 17 April 17 21:52 BST (UK) »
His wife Sarah's Will dated 1857 lists one of her children as James WASON Hood
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 17 April 17 23:09 BST (UK) »
I think this is a different family; William Hood and Sarah had their children baptised at St Pauls, Bristol c1810-20 and he is always described as a merchant. One of James Wason's sons was baptised William Hood Wason by the way. This William Hood died in South Carolina in 1837,

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 17 April 17 23:22 BST (UK) »
His wife Sarah's Will dated 1857 lists one of her children as James WASON Hood

Thank you Jomot and Claire

I have added an image to Reply #6, regarding George Kiddell Hood, whose death notice appears in June 1864 and a William Hood, Merchant was his Father.

The Will of Sarah Hood of Bristol, Widow, 1857, names both:- George Kiddell Hood and James Wasson Hood as her Sons.

So the two HOOD businesses at Bristol listed in the May 1817 image (see Reply #6) must be linked to the same Hoods.

Just wondering now, if the William Hood of Bristol, Corn Factor, who died and was buried in 1821 as a Non-Quaker, was their Grandfather?

Regards Mark

EDIT: Thanks Steve for your comment.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 17 April 17 23:40 BST (UK) »
There is a Will of a John Hood of Bristol dated 1802. This man was an ironmonger ~ mentions a son John GIBBONS Hood and his son William Hood

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 00:04 BST (UK) »
If William Hood, Corn Factor buried 1821 is the same William Hood appointed in 1819 to the committee of the Commercial Rooms on Corn Street, "the headquarters of the corn trade", then their records may reveal something of use. 

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jy3/

As a committee member he may also have been a shareholder, so perhaps the register of share certificates & share transfers from 1814 onwards might help identify his heirs in the absence of a will?