Author Topic: James Ward Usher's Grandparents  (Read 3144 times)

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James Ward Usher's Grandparents
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 21:46 BST (UK) »
George Robinson Usher   -
Baptism: 03 Oct 1810 at Lincoln St Martin
Father: James
Mother: Anne

James Usher of Saint Swithin
Marriage: 10 Dec 1809 at Lincoln St Swithin
Spouse: Anne Otter

David

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 21:57 BST (UK) »
James USHER baptism http://tinyurl.com/mb5e4rs
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline macrote

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 23:53 BST (UK) »
Geoff-E, that's two more bookmarks!

Actually, you are starting to give me some hope that I might be able to find the relationship that I mentioned at the start of my first posting on this subject.

Very many thanks.

- macrote

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 08:42 BST (UK) »
Doing a quick bit of research, a Michael George USHER with whom I went to school, seems to have been a descendant of George Robinson USHER 1810, Cabinet Maker. :)

Offline macrote

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 20 April 17 11:07 BST (UK) »
I started this thread by mentioning emmband's interest in discovering the relationship, if any, between James Ward Usher, and Fred Usher. Well, thanks very largely to the help of Geoff-E and dcbnwh, I can now report that there IS a connection, in more than just the name.

I have put together a fairly detailed family tree that shows the link, but for the moment I will just summarize it in words, rather than in pictures.

The link between the two lines is the husband and wife: John Usher and Elizabeth Robinson, who married in 1773.

One of their six children was Richard Usher(1778), who married Milicent Radford in 1800. They had seven children, one of whom was James Usher(1807). He married Jane Duckett(1811) in June 1842, and one of their childen was James Ward Usher, the subject of this enquiry.

So according to this tree the grandparents of JWU were Richard and Milicent Usher, not James. This is consistent with Mark Usher's tree of "Ushers in the censuses".

Now the line that leads to Fred Usher. If we go back to John Usher and Elizabeth Robinson (m. 1773), another one of their six children was James Usher(1788). He married Anne Otter(1790) in December 1809, and together they had seven children, one of whom was John Usher(1816). This John Usher married Margaret Kent(1823), and they had seven children. One of these offspring was James Usher(1840), and he married Sarah Buttery(1841) in December 1862.

And now we are there, for one of their children was Fred Usher(1870), who married Amy Taylor, and the rest is more recent history . . . .

I think this is about right, but would be very happy to hear of any corrections.

I'm no expert on this, but I think that makes James and Fred second cousins, once removed.

- macrote

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 21 April 17 13:13 BST (UK) »
Some baptisms for the children of John and Margaret Usher

James - 6th October 1839 at Edlington

John - 26th September 1841 at Lincoln St Martin

The following were all baptised on 30th October 1859 at St Mary Le Wigford and, because they were so long after the births, the birth dates were recorded:-

Margaret Ann - born 8th February 1846
Harriet - born 24th May 1849
Mary Ann - born 17th March 1851
Edith Ann - born 4th December 1854
Harry - born 23th August 1859 (acually registered in 1857)
Minnie - born 4th October 1859

David

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 21 April 17 14:44 BST (UK) »
The following were all baptised on 30th October 1859 at St Mary Le Wigford and, because they were so long after the births, the birth dates were recorded:-

A very neat register :)
 http://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=607390&iid=425105

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 21 April 17 14:50 BST (UK) »
Baptisms Bulwell
Parents Richard & Milicent Usher
30 Jun 1803 James
23 Jun 1805 John
30 Jul 1807 James
28 Jan 1810 Henry
31 Mar 1811 Ann
Burial Bulwell
29 Jan 1832 Millicent Usher aged 51
29 Apr 1804 James Usher Inf.
20 Apr 1810 Henry Usher Inf.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline macrote

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 24 April 17 18:10 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the additional references. It would have taken me quite a while to discover them for myself.

I was particularly interested in the list of Bulwell christenings and burials. I see that James(1803) died less than a year after he was born, but the parents, Richard and Milicent Usher, recycled the name in 1807, and that James became the father of James Ward Usher (JWU).

A similar sequence involved their son Henry(1810). He died less than three months after his birth, but the parents reused that name for a later child (b. 28 Dec, 1816). It seems that Richard and Milicent were not particularly superstitious! Henry(1816) did not appear in the list of Bulwell births, because (unlike most of the children of Richard and Milicent) he was born in Lincoln. This Henry, uncle of JWU, was the one who became the vicar of Snitterby. He married Alvira Fields, and they had two children:  Alexander Fields Usher(1850), who died the following year, and Selina Louisa Usher(1851), who married another churchman, John Edwin Swithinbank. I do not have a death notice for Alvira, but in Henry’s will, he leaves his possessions in part to his daughter Selina Louisa, and his wife, whom he names as Mary Ann Usher. I do not know the background to this switch.

If all the above is true, then the article about JWU in LINCS-to-the-past will need correcting. I could not find a George Usher among the children of Richard and Milicent (although there were other siblings), and JWU’s grandfather was Richard, not James.

- macrote