Author Topic: 1871 lookup 'Cheetham' Longsight/Gorton. Manchester  (Read 1134 times)

skippy

1871 lookup 'Cheetham' Longsight/Gorton. Manchester
« on: Tuesday 27 July 04 23:44 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Would be very grateful of an 1871 look up on my Cheetham family.

In 1881, the family lived at  -  401, Stockport Road. Manchester. I'm not sure whether the address comes under Longsight, Gorton or even poss Ardwick as the house/road numbering has since changed.

Samuel is listed as Widower and Head of the Household. His occupation is shown as Plumber and Beer House Keeper.

Mary & William are twins.

John Cheethams father was Thomas Cheetham who died before 1881 (date unknown) so he may appear on the census. I do not yet know the mothers name.

The ages I have listed below are the 1871 ages.

Samuel Cheetham age abt 19  b Guide Bridge. Lancs
Mary J Cheetham       ..       17  b Gorton. Lancs
William Cheetham      ..       17  b Gorton Lancs
John Cheetham          ..        4   b Gorton Lancs

Many thanks,

Skippy

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 lookup 'Cheetham' Longsight/Gorton. Manchester
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 July 04 00:53 BST (UK) »
1 Kirkmanshulane lane
Royal Oak Beer House
Newton Manchester
RG10/4059 14 folio 6 pg 6 entry 21

Mary Ann head 40 widow b Salford Lancs Beer House Keeper
Samuel 19 b Ginde Bridge Lancs Plumber
Mary Jane 16 b Gorton Lancs Assistant
Kate 14 b Gorton Lancs Scholar
William 12 b Gorton Lancs Scholar
Thomas 8 b Longsight Lancs Scholar
John 6 b Longsight Lancs Scholar

Mary Jane deff 16 William deff 12

Cheers Kris
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

skippy

« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 July 04 02:01 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the look up Kriss.

The info I gave in my request is a direct copy of the 1881 census apart from the ages which I altered down by 10 yrs to adjust for an 1871 look up.

I'm a bit perplexed now.....doesn't take too to cloud the grey matter these days.

All the names are there, Samuel, Mary Jane, William & John - but ages for Jane & William are slightly different. Also there are other recorded names on the 1871 which do not appear on the 1881. I have no living relatives who can confirm any pre 1930 names.

On 1881 LDS transcript --  Jane & William are both recorded as being 27 - my Mother said that there were twins in the family and I assumed Jane & William were these twins when I saw both recorded as being 27.

I've looked at 1854 births on 1837.com but the last qtr page for Cheethams is pretty much unreadable although there appears to be a William Cheetham birth in Manchester I don't read a Mary Jane in Manchester.

I've checked IGI on LDS and have a christening on 17th Dec 1854 for Mary Jane in Gorton but no William in 1854. There is a William christened Gorton 29th June 1862
and.. a John christened in Gorton 1st April 1866.
This all confirms the 1871 info you sent me.

John Cheetham is my Gt Gt Grandfather and I have a copy of his 1892 marriage certificate which states that he was 26 in May 1892....so his birth
date is definately around 1866, (his Father is recorded as Thomas Cheetham deceased).

I have held off applying for John Cheethams birth certficate because there are 4/5 Manchester John Cheetham births around the same time.
(From what I can make out Cheetham is a Manchester name anyway so although not a common name there's lots in the local areas.)

I did hastily/eagerly apply last year for a bc for a Samuel Cheetham who was born in Guide Bridge but his Father was Robert and Mother Hannah.... I obviously picked the wrong one.

I think I am now going to work backwards. From continual rejogging of my mothers memory John Cheetham died 1935/1937 so, If I can trace his death cert I should hopefully find his birth date.

The look up and time taken to reply to my request is very much appreciated as I've managed to tie in other bits and pieces I've found on this particular Cheetham family with the 1871 info you sent me.
At the moment it looks 85% that this is my family..its just the age discrepancy on the 1881 for William..maybe/hopefully its just as simple as a transcribing error.

Once again many thanks for you help 

regards

SKIPPY

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 July 04 08:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Skippy there r people on the forum who have the scans of the 1881 census. i would suggest that u request a lookup and mention this inconsistency....I do strongly suspect that it has been mistranscribed and should read Mary Jane 7 William 2...very easy to c a mistake being made there between a 7 and a 2 and im betting on that being it!!! ...as i said i had a good look at the 71 and there is no mistake there so I am betting it is a mistranscription in 81.....Betting the twins come in elsewhere....Good Luck with it
Kris

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 July 04 08:53 BST (UK) »
this is 1891 no help with William and Mary Jane im afraid

RG12/3255 25 folio 120 pg 4 entry 17
Royal Oak 2 Kirkmanshalane lane Newton Manchester

Mary Ann Cheetham 60 b Salford Lanc Beerhouse Keeper
William Cheetham son 32 b Gorton Lanc no occ listed
John Cheetham son 24 b Longsight Lanc Cabinet Maker
Thomas Cheetham Nephew b Longsight Lancs

Kris

skippy

« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 July 04 21:44 BST (UK) »
Kris, thanks very much for the 1891.

This is definately the right family. John Cheetham was a cabinet maker and undertaker. He started a business in Longsight after he married which later passed to my Grandfather and his Brother. There used to be a plaque on the outside wall which read John Cheetham & Sons. Cabinet Makers & Funeral Directors.  My Grandfather sold his share of the business to his brother.

By the way does the census give an age for Thomas (nephew) ?

William Cheetham is listed on a 1902 Alan Godfrey map of the area as Beer House Keeper. 2 Kirkmanshulme Lane - but I didn't know until now that he was a relative.

The info you have given me does now clear up the William & Mary Jane issue as I have both IGI's as well as Johns IGI.
I'll go straight to Manchester Archives and start printing off forms for Parish records.

I really do appreciate your help on this one Kris. Many many thanks.

best regards,

SKIPPY 

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 July 04 23:46 BST (UK) »
Sorry Skippy. Thomas is 9. Fabulous that u having such a good success with this. Good luck with the parish records. Nothing quite like getting the answers. Glad i could help. Kris