Author Topic: Constable Questions  (Read 1266 times)

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Constable Questions
« on: Wednesday 19 April 17 19:54 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone knew if a man had to be literate to be a constable, and whether a man could be a  constable part time, and, for instance, have his occupation listed as something else, like laborer or fisherman?

The reason I ask is that there seem to have been at least two men with the name Timothy Sullivan in the Ennistymon/Liscannor area.  One, residing in Liscannor,  had several children with a Bridget Torpey, beginning in, as far as can be told (no marriage record), 1862.  5 out of 7 birth certs say laborer.  One in 1867 was not scanned in properly and is just a blank page.  On the last of his children's birth certs in 1877 it says "fisherman."

In 1878, there is a death cert that says "fish hawker", age 45, and Ennistymon.   The man was married, but the reporting party was the coroner.  I think this is probably the man who was married to Bridget Torpey, but I am not sure.

The constable seems to have lived some years afterward, being a complaining party or witness in the petty session records.  Every defendant Timothy Sullivan previous to 1878 lists Liscannor as the address.  Sometimes the constable was active in Liscannor, but his address is never given, and I do not know where he lived or if he had children.

Bridget Sullivan nee Torpey seems to have lived to at least 1922.  One of her daughters in America filed for a passport and travelled to Ireland, stating the reason was to visit her mother.  But, I'm not sure where the mother was on the 1901/1911 censuses.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Constable Questions
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 21:48 BST (UK) »
A police Constable had to be literate, and was not allowed to take other employment. A short history & genealogical guide – RIC, Jim Herlihy, Dublin 1997 says a recruit had to be between 19 & 27, capable of reading without hesitation, any printed or written document; able to write a legible hand; of good character for honesty, sobriety, fidelity and activity. At least 5 foot 8, a single man or widow with no children. They generally lived in the police station, at least until they married.

RIC rules also stated that you would not be posted to a county where you were born or had connections.

RIC service records are on findmypast and Ancestry so you should be able to see the Constable’s career. But one thing you can be sure of is that he wasn’t a native of Co. Clare.
Elwyn

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Constable Questions
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 April 17 00:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks, so much, for answering my question.  I think that answers it pretty squarely!