Author Topic: SCHEEPERS/ CHUKER  (Read 855 times)

Offline Scheepers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SCHEEPERS/ CHUKER
« on: Thursday 20 April 17 08:32 BST (UK) »
HI
I am trying to find my husband's deceased mother and grandfathers details. I have tried Naairs and gendatabase.com and family search and ancestry.com. We applied for my husband's unabridged birth certificate and waited 18 months and just got our info ( which we clearly stated on the application was guesswork) sent back to us in the form of a birth certificate - complete with what we have since found is incorrect spelling of his father's name and no date of birth for either of them. USELESS.
We know that his father was Benedict Antony SCHEEPERS (DOB 28 July 1940 - died October 1994)  - first wife and Darren's mother was "Liz" (actually there are no wedding photos - so possibly they werent married even though Darren was told they were) - thats all we know except for 100's of unnamed photos of herself and her family dating back about 100 years from the look of the clothes and photo styles. We were told she died in Addington hospital from a brain aneurysm. His father would never tell him where she was buried and they never visited a grave - so presumably she was cremated. Liz died approx 1978.

Benedict  then married Jacqueline Anne Swires ( DOB 4 May 1954 - died March 2004) about 3 years later.

We know nothing about Benedict's father - no name or any details. Benedict's mother was Cornelia Elizabeth Chucker (DOB 21 October 1916 Died approx 1980 - 1984), previously Scheepers (unless she was never actually married to Benedict's father) and nee ? We dont know if she divorced Benedict's father or was widowed, but about mid 1940's we have photos of her and David Chuker (DOB 1912 - died 30 June 1976). We assume they married at some stage. Due to his jewish roots, we have traced David Chuker's arrival in SA and his father Yoseph (Joseph) name and address in Johannesburg in 1928.

I have a photo of young (about 10) "Liz " with "Mrs Ryan, Lindquesdrif, Vereeniging" written on the back. No idea what the connection is.

I have info from NAAIR about an Elizabeth Maria Salm ( previously Chuker, previously Scheepers, nee vermeulen) deceased estate in 1962. Spouse Erich Salm - whom she applied and withdrew a divorce application against in 1945. Despite the similarities of surnames, we have no idea what the link is yet. She is too old to be Darren's mum though as he was born after her death date.
Any help - or advice of where to look next would be appreciated.

thanks
Diane

Offline Scribble1952

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: SCHEEPERS/ CHUKER
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 April 17 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Scheepers
Would you be able to post a picture or two. With place
and  date if possible .😊

Offline Scheepers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 April 17 11:24 BST (UK) »
David Chuker and Cornelia Elizabeth Chuker (previously Scheepers? nee ?). I am guessing taking after their wedding/ civil ceremony. Folder that picture was in labelled Schlesinger's Studio, 3 Paramount Building, Johannesburg

Offline Scheepers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 April 17 11:30 BST (UK) »
Family photo on Durban Beach front - taken by Snappy's photos, Durban.  Approx mid 1950's from the age Benedict was in the photo.
Back row - L-R: David Chuker, Cornelia Elizabeth Chuker, Cornelia's mother, unknown ( who looks very similar to Cornelia and her mother), unnknown.
Front row L-R: unknown man, Benedict Antony Scheepers (as a young teen), unknown, unknown.

Offline Scheepers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 April 17 11:48 BST (UK) »
This photo is of Benedict Antony Scheepers - age about 8 - 10 in his school uniform - not clear enough to make out the badge though. It is taken outside a Sunlight Soap factory in either Durban or Johannesburg.
The other photo was taken in the same place at the same time - as it is from the same photo roll. We dont know who the young girl is but it says"DELL" on the back of the photo - and we have another photo of this same girl ( although a few years older) and the inscription on the back of that photo is : "To Dear Nellie, Sorry you werent in. Might see you next Tuesday, Love Delysia."

She bears a strong resemblance to David Chuker and we wonder if this is perhaps Benedicts step sister/ half sister? - Although my husband never heard Benedict ever speak of her, or of having a sister.

Offline Scheepers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 April 17 11:57 BST (UK) »
Benedict Antony Scheepers and "Liz" - taken at "67" Restuarant, Albany Grove, Durban - I would hazard a guess by their age/looks that this was before kids so between 1960-1965

Offline Scheepers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 April 17 12:20 BST (UK) »
This is a school photo of "Liz". On the back is written
"Hooks (Hoops?) - die kampioneskappe van Gym in Pretoria in hierdie afdeling gewen. Sept 1959"
Liz is front row left.

The photographers were Graph-Art, 17 and 18 Markhams building, 5th Floor, Eloff Str, JOhannesburg.
I have also attempted an enlargement of the school badge on their outfits in case that could be a clue as to where she was at school and so what area to search for more details - but it wont enlarge and photograph clearly...it looks like angel wings though if that is any help and most likely she went to a girls high school in the transvaal area.

Offline Scheepers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 April 17 03:48 BST (UK) »
I have created a public page on Wikitree and have posted several more photos there of unidentified relatives - https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Space:Scheepers_Family_Mysteries