Author Topic: 1939 register. Now I know why an ancestor is not there.  (Read 4572 times)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 register. Now I know why an ancestor is not there.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 26 June 19 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I`m a bit late coming into this but I`m about to throw a spanner into the works,sorry. The number `D/8715` is a `Home Defence Battalion or Home Guard Number` he would not have served outside of the UK. definitely not 2nd DLI in 1939-45 with that number.

There`s a George Musgrave (same date of birth) with pre and WW1 service with the Coldstreams (enlisted 1911) wounded 3 times then deserted (Rejoined and tried by GFCM  but continued to serve) Enlisted in Sunderland No 9327 later 2646498. 11 Pease Street,Bishop Auckland? Perhaps the same man? Father George mother Isabella Musgrave 22 Pease St St Helens Bishop Auckland,
This George Musgrave had a final Army number of 2646498 which,had he rejoined or been recalled to the colours (to a regular or territorial unit) he would have retained .

Jim

Thanks for the info. So he may have just served locally, or in London?

Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline verrieres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 26 June 19 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hello,

With the number quoted it would be a Home Defence Regiment anywhere in the country but perhaps not in the Durham area as the Durham Home Guard Records are available from the National Archives and `George Musgrave`  is not listed amongst them.

Jim

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 01 July 19 13:47 BST (UK) »
Hello,

With the number quoted it would be a Home Defence Regiment anywhere in the country but perhaps not in the Durham area as the Durham Home Guard Records are available from the National Archives and `George Musgrave`  is not listed amongst them.

Jim

Thanks for the info again. Looking at his WW1 war records, he was sent from Bordeaux to Dover in July 1916 then taken onto a hospital in Birmingham for treatment for shellshock. Interesting that he passed through Dover. I have been there a few times, never knew an ancestor was there, even just briefly.
Researching:

DORSET Coombs, Munday
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
USA Musgrave, Saix

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 23 April 21 21:57 BST (UK) »
"He may have just missed it." (Army Service)"

If the person was in the Army in the time before the 1939 Register was taken regardless if he was
still in a camp or had been posted somewhere else he should not be counted. Had he been counted he could have been fed in the Army as well as having a ration book for home. That was what the Register did not want.

This is probably why he is not in the 1939 register then.

Small update.

FindMyPast has some Coldstream Guard records just released and it said he re enlisted with the 6th D.L.I on 16th May 1939 HD Battalion. However the H.D. one was only created in Dec 1939, so he enlisted before the Btn was created.
Researching:

DORSET Coombs, Munday
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
USA Musgrave, Saix

Offline verrieres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 16 May 21 00:47 BST (UK) »
Not exactly true, the HD Battalions existed before WW2 they were then called `The Territorial Army Volunteer National Defence Corps ` Bit of a mouthful.
The first casualty (41st National Defence Company att 6th DLI) was a 4444858 Pte George Robert Milburn whilst on sentry duty he was hit by a train and killed at the Croxdale viaduct in Durham ,on the night of August 28/29th 1939 (prior to the official outbreak of war)
The coroner determined his death was as a direct consequence of WW2 but as his death was outside of the official declaration he is not commemorated as `war dead`.
George was buried at Medomsley on Sept 2nd 1939. The following day we were at war with Germany.

There were many names for the HD and Home Guard . My uncle referred to some of the Local Defence Volunteers as (LDV) Look,Duck and Vanish!

The enlistment books for the DLI are held at the Records Office in Durham . Army Book 358 Register of Soldiers, Durham Light Infantry, covers the 30th (Home Defence) Battalion (Book I, no. 42,) covering the `D` numbers  D/3693 to  D/41886. Just for info.

Best

Jim

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 20 May 21 00:01 BST (UK) »
Not exactly true, the HD Battalions existed before WW2 they were then called `The Territorial Army Volunteer National Defence Corps ` Bit of a mouthful.
The first casualty (41st National Defence Company att 6th DLI) was a 4444858 Pte George Robert Milburn whilst on sentry duty he was hit by a train and killed at the Croxdale viaduct in Durham ,on the night of August 28/29th 1939 (prior to the official outbreak of war)
The coroner determined his death was as a direct consequence of WW2 but as his death was outside of the official declaration he is not commemorated as `war dead`.
George was buried at Medomsley on Sept 2nd 1939. The following day we were at war with Germany.

There were many names for the HD and Home Guard . My uncle referred to some of the Local Defence Volunteers as (LDV) Look,Duck and Vanish!

The enlistment books for the DLI are held at the Records Office in Durham . Army Book 358 Register of Soldiers, Durham Light Infantry, covers the 30th (Home Defence) Battalion (Book I, no. 42,) covering the `D` numbers  D/3693 to  D/41886. Just for info.

Best

Jim

Thanks. I do need to look at those next time I am at Durham RO, or even ask for a paid research service as I live 250 miles away. I last visited there in 2010.
Researching:

DORSET Coombs, Munday
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
USA Musgrave, Saix