Author Topic: Thomas Moore (Home Child) in Birmingham and Coventry  (Read 2261 times)

Offline janismccahill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Moore (Home Child) in Birmingham and Coventry
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 23 April 17 03:57 BST (UK) »
There are Tucker - Moore births in Birmingham to George + Sarah, I think
including
Samuel 1876
George 1877
John 1879
(1881, Birmingham, piece 2979 folio 65 page 29)

But did she marry George Tucker as Sarah Moraghan, 26 July 1874, Birmingham, father Thomas Moraghan?
There is a Thomas + Bridget Moraghan in Birmingham in 1871, with a Thomas, age 6, born Birmingham
piece 3112 folio 27 page 19
Living with a married daughter by the look of it, and there also are four more daughters of theirs, including Sarah.
Youngest child of that married daughter is also Thomas (perhaps Gilmour, Thomas, mother Moroughan, Sep 1870, Birmingham)

Thomas Moraghan, bap Birmingham St Peter, 28 August 1864, born 2 August
parents Thomae + Bridgittae Coyne

John

I really think you are on to something - both daughters (a Gilmour and Tucker) use the "Moore" surname when they are baptizing some of their children. I see Bridget is in the workhouse by 1901. It seems Thomas Sr has parents that were born in Ireland and emigrated to Ireland. Going to keep following that lead. Thanks so much for helping me think "outside the box"

Offline kevingmoore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 17:25 BST (UK) »
I would agree with some of the comments made earlier about following the Moraghan lead as I have been trying to sort out my own family lineage with similar problems to yours. My family is Moore but going back to my g. g. grandfather I have recently found out that his family name was actually Moraghan and not Moore. On the UK GRO records out of 9 children, 1 was registered as Morican, 6 as Moore, 1 as Morighan and 1 as More. On the Roman Catholic records for St Peters, Broad Street, Birmingham, 3 are baptised as a Moraghan, 3 as Moore, 1 as Moriken and 1 as Moor. My g. g. grandfather, James (Moore) Moraghan married Ann McLoughlin in Birmingham in 1850. James’ father is given as Owen, farmer, Roscommon. Next door to James and Ann in Birmingham on the 1851 census was Roger Morgan and his wife Catherine née Burke. However, on further research I have found out that Roger Morgan is actually Roger Moraghan and he is also from Roscommon (likely to be an uncle of James – research still ongoing) and his wife Catherine is from Galway.
If your Thomas is the one mentioned above then it could well be that his parents are the ones who died in 1901 and 1908 in Birmingham (Bridget Moraghan 1901 at 73 years old, volume: 6d Page: 126 and Thomas Moroghan 1908 at 80 years old, volume: 6d Page: 50).

Moore
Moraghan
Kelly
Ganley
Goodswen
Loxley
Newhall/Newell

Offline janismccahill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 23:29 BST (UK) »
It certainly seems like the families are connected. Isn't it a challenge finding certificates with the name variations.  This is my SIL's family and we were trying to find where his British Home Child ancestor came from. I have tried to attached a word document with information but it will not accept it. The rtf is too big as well. I did order the death certificates for Bridget and Thomas and they do appear to belong to the family I am researching. I was not able to figure out the family connection in Ireland.
I have a pdf booklet with all of the certificates, census etc. . It is too big to attach here. If you are interested, you can send me your email.
All the best
Janis