Author Topic: Alice Fraser boarded out child at Benvie Farm cottage in 1911  (Read 8744 times)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alice Fraser boarded out child at Benvie Farm cottage in 1911
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 27 April 17 18:08 BST (UK) »
On the basis of Scotmum's excellent sleuthing I have just done a speculative search on Famiysearch and their Brazilian records using the surname Stuart and found the following christening

Guilhermina Stuart- Christening 15 June 1873  Nossa Senhora da Luz da Catedral, Curitaba, Parana, Brazil. Residence Curitiba, Parana, Brazil. Parents Jacob Stuart and Isabel Young.

Wiliam
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 27 April 17 18:09 BST (UK) »
I'd noticed that one tool Millmoor, but had been wary of the 'Isabel' rather than the expected 'Elspet'. I was fine with 'Jacob' given that 'Jacobus' is used for James.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Thursday 27 April 17 18:13 BST (UK) »
On the basis of Scotmum's excellent sleuthing I have just done a speculative search on Famiysearch and their Brazilian records using the surname Stuart and found the following christening

Guilhermina Stuart- Christening 15 June 1873  Nossa Senhora da Luz da Catedral, Curitaba, Parana, Brazil. Residence Curitiba, Parana, Brazil. Parents Jacob Stuart and Isabel Young.

Wiliam

Brilliant find William - Guilhermina could be the Portuguese version of Wilhelmina, James is a variant of Jacob and Elspet(h) is a variant of Elizabeth, which is Isabel(la) in Spanish/Portuguese.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline dorothy taylor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Thursday 27 April 17 18:23 BST (UK) »
Oh I'm struggling to keep up here.

dates are uk style
Williamina junior died 15/8/1901 at 20 Taylor Street, Glasgow, Williamina senior registered the death, father was not deceased,
Charles Fraser b 1853 was baptised in 1902 at St Andrews, Dundee

Elspit on her marriage certificate in 1868 shows she came from Fyvie and father Alexander, gamekeeper, mother Ann, can,t read maiden name but it doesn't look loke summers

I also found the Brazil one and the dates look good
fraser. taylor, moncur, mcneil

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Thursday 27 April 17 18:43 BST (UK) »
So we know that Charles was still living on 13 September 1902, and that his sons were 'found wandering' before 1 July 1903, just ten months later. So something must have happened during those ten months. I had a quick look at the British Newspaper Collection on FindMyPast, but could not find any mentions of a Charles Fraser who can definitely be identified with your Charles Simon Fraser. Unfortunately when I tried to look at the actual reports all I got was an error message. Maybe someone else might have better luck.

Did you manage to find out from Dundee City Archives whether or not the Dundee Poor Law records have survived?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline dorothy taylor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Thursday 27 April 17 19:06 BST (UK) »
I'm sorry to say that the poor records for the dates I need have not survived

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Thursday 27 April 17 19:18 BST (UK) »
I'm sorry to say that the poor records have not survived

Just to clarify, for anyone reading who may think this applies to all the records, some, albeit not in timescale for dottymay51's research, did survive (and I happen to have had helpful info from them in the past):

•Liff and Benvie Register of Poor, 1854 to 1865 (Dundee Archives - Ref : SC45/48/1)

•Dundee East Poorhouse Register, 1856 to 1878 (Dundee City Archives reference: CP/DE6/1)

see http://www.fdca.org.uk/Index_PoorRegisters.html
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Thursday 27 April 17 19:41 BST (UK) »
Oh, that is a great pity.

However there is an outside chance that there could possibly be something in the Glasgow ones. Alice was born in Glasgow and cannot have lived long enough in Dundee to gain settlement there. So if she was dealt with by the Dundee Parochial Board, they might have written to Glasgow to get the Glasgow Parochial Board to pay for the cost of looking after Alice. It's worth asking.

Offline dorothy taylor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Thursday 27 April 17 19:43 BST (UK) »
I have looked at the newspapers and a Charles Fraser was convicted for police assault receiving a £2 fine or 1 month imprisonment on 15/6/03.  I wonder if this was him and he chose the jail, leaving his family destitute as the boys were admitted on1/7/1903, just speculating.